PDA

View Full Version : SCSI for a normal, non server, computer.

YanBooth
07-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Hello,

A friend of mine needs SCSI for a program, and he came to me to sort it out. Problem is, I don't know anything about SCSI. So, I came here. He will be using the 68 pin 10,000RPM Seagate SCSI that he already bought on a Dell Dimension 8XXX (quite new, quite powerful). He requested I try to keep the price under wraps, so $250 at the very most. I have looked a little, and all I could find was PCI-X, which I understand is only implemented on certain server boards, correct?

So, he needs a PCI SCSI controlled card, with a 68 pin connection, I would appreciate links, models names etc. a great deal!

Thank you very much in advance,

Yan Booth, on behalf of M.G.W.

lutjens
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
PCI-X SCSI cards will work fine in a stardard 32 bit/33MHz slot. It'll be massively choked by the PCI bus, but it will work. One drive should be OK for the regular PCI bus, but expandability will be limited due to the lack of bandwidth. If your friend decides to get a motherboard with PCI-X in the future, he'll be set.:)

bypolar
07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Adaptec is a well know brand.

LINK (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?prodkey=national_retail_online)

look around there site there is a ton of Info there.

I am currently useing the Adaptec 39160 68 pin card. it is easer to use than most of the onboard Sata controlers I have tried.

lutjens
07-03-2005, 12:14 PM
The 39160 is a decent (and cheap) card, but is limited to Ultra160 specifications. This won't be an issue for use on a regular PCI slot, but does render the card a less than effective solution if ever used on a PCI-X bus. The 39320 offers a better upgrade path and can be had for <$250.;)

QuikSilver
07-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Ill sell you an adaptec PCI SCSI card cheap, PM me if you are interested.