PDA

View Full Version : Dipmles but not winbond?

Millyons
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Is there any other IC makers that have the two circles?

I saw and bought some cheep NCP ram at my local shop, and it had two circles like winbond ram, but this stuff cant do anything, doesnt even boot with tRdc or trp set to 2 at 200mhz, and i tested with up to 3.5v ... so what ICs could this be............i was susspicious though that it has only solder dots on the side that look more like hynix than utt

perkam
06-27-2005, 01:43 PM
That doesnt look a thing like winbond ram...srry. Two holes at the end is too easy to do nowadays by manufacturers...especially value ones to fool consumers.

For Value ram, think Mushkin blue or OCZ VX if you want something, everything else, unless its listed in on any of the guides on XS, is total crappage.

Perkam

Millyons
06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
i just bought this to check it out, i wouldnt use this for myself :) just the two dimpples fooled me, i thaught that was winbonds trademark...... i dont know of any other companies that have them

celemine1Gig
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
It sure does look like Winbond based RAM, and I'm 99,9% sure that it even is.

But, judging from how it performs, it doesn't seem to be based on any recent Winbond UTT or CH-X or BH-X Chips, but rather some older Chips like BH-75 or something like that.
Another thing could be that the Mainboard could have compatibility issues with the RAm because the SPD could be programmed horribly.
Could be more than one reason why it doesn't perform like other Winbond RAM. BTW, does it even run without errors at stock speeds?

Ah, and BTW, the PCB looks really really crappy to me (where are the ceramic smd/smt filtering caps and resistors that are normally in a row on all other PCB designs that i know of; some on the front, but where's the rest?). :stick: Could also have BIG influence.

And you talked about the solder markings on the side of the chips. COuld you make some better pics of that? i'm very very interested.

Millyons
06-27-2005, 02:45 PM
sure ill try in a sec, i just pulled them out and...........i also got 2x512mb of old KHX BH5 that runns 230mhz on here stable, so i dont think its the mobo

Vassili
06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
At the size of the chip I would say is is Winbond BH-UTT, and just some bad stuff (Bad PCB and bad chip's) I think. Not all BH-UTT can do 2-2-2-5 or even respond on voltage.

Millyons
06-27-2005, 02:55 PM
ya LOL this is very very bad stuff....here is the pic of the side, the dots are different than on WB ICs.............it should work OK stock, i ran couple loops of memtest just in case when i saw that its crap.........btw spd is 3-4-4-8 at 200mhz

[XC] moddolicous
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Is it possible to do searches on types of memory? If so, maybe u can find what the ram is supposed to run stock. Also, u could try some experiments on this ram, like adding capacitors or something.

celemine1Gig
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
OK, from the side it looks really different. So I recall all what I said above and make the claim that these perhaps come from the same factory as the Winbonds, but just with different internals. :) That's to say, I think that the chip-housing may look like the Winbonds, but the very silicon itself seems to be different.

I have to admit though that it's the first time I see a mem-chip like that. :eek:

Or it is the long anticipated DH-6 stuff, which unfortunately clocks quite crappy.
Did you test for highest stable clocks regardless of timings?

high5
06-28-2005, 02:30 AM
long anticipated dh? dh exists for years, i've seen some old graphics cards utilizing it.

celemine1Gig
06-28-2005, 02:32 AM
long anticipated dh? dh exists for years, i've seen some old graphics cards utilizing it.

I'm talking about DDR-RAM and not SD-RAM on old HDDs. ;)

celemine1Gig
07-02-2005, 07:16 AM
BTW, just to let you know.

I got a stick of Winbond BH-6 based FCM (FirstChioceMemory) a few days ago and it seems to "feature" the same odd PCB like your sticks.
It obviously is real BH-6, but doesn't even run 200MHz 2.5-3-3-10 at 2.8V! :stick:
I really start to think that it's the PCB.

Have a look at the pics:

http://img.techpowerup.org/050702/BH-6-3.jpg

http://img.techpowerup.org/050702/BH-6-2.jpg

http://img.techpowerup.org/050702/BH-6-1.jpg

BUT, I think I know how to make it better. :D

high5
07-02-2005, 08:53 AM
pcb sure does look old school...

Millyons
07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
i already got rid of mine, but this is good to know that not all winbond stuff now is good (or mabey PCB dependant)

edit: did you try it with more volts than 2.8?

celemine1Gig
07-02-2005, 01:50 PM
edit: did you try it with more volts than 2.8?

No, unfortunately I didn't have the time to do so, yet. I have 6 uni exams, starting wednesday next week (until 21st July) and so I don't really have the time to tinker around with my computer ATM.

I hope that it won't suck as bad as your sticks, even with higher volts but I also thought about a possible fix. There seems to be a great lack of capacitance on this particular PCB I suppose. This would lead to big signal voltage fluctuations which would cause this extreme Memtest Erroring. Perhaps some extra caps could make it act more overclockable.
Especially the backside of the PCB doesn't have a single cap. That is really bad.

craig588
07-02-2005, 02:46 PM
That looks like the PCB my old mushkin stuff came on.