PDA

View Full Version : Ok to quiet down SilverStone ST65ZF?

Colin
06-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Despite all the controversy surrounding the SilverStone ST65ZF, it has certainly served me quite well. Voltages are extremely strong even under load blah blah blah but my biggest issue is the PSU is damn loud! :slobber:

The fan is temperature controlled but mine seems like it's spinning at full speed pretty much right from the get go and it's starting to drive me crazy. Do you think swapping it out with something quieter would damage it?

Buying a new PSU is not a fix but I will in the near future if I can't quiet this thing down.

Thanks! :D

Dave in Daytona
06-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Any mods will void your warranty.

The Seasonic S-12 600W is your new PSU. :toast:

Colin
06-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Haha, yes I know it would void my warranty but it's not something I worry about. ;)

I have heard good things about the Seasonic S-12 but I'd prefer to keep the SilverStone. :)

Colin
06-30-2005, 07:21 AM
No suggestions huh? :(

The Mofo
07-03-2005, 05:11 AM
The Silverstone in my rig is the quietest fan i have going on, lol. Just replace the fan with a panaflow.

Colin
07-05-2005, 09:57 AM
The Silverstone in my rig is the quietest fan i have going on, lol. Just replace the fan with a panaflow.
Hey The Mofo! :D

Thanks for the update, I'm glad someone has swapped out the fan without any problems, that's good enough for me and I'll do the same this wknd! :)

Darkenreaper57
02-15-2006, 06:15 PM

Does the PSU get enough cooling that way? What panaflo do you use?

I'm really thinking of getting this PSU since it is on sale, but the noise turns me off.

gr8golf
02-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Any mods will void your warranty.

The Seasonic S-12 600W is your new PSU. :toast:

I went for the S-12 for this very reason - been very happy with it. I wonder why they are seemingly the only vendor that can pack the necessary power and still keep it cool enough while maintaining the noise levels.