PDA

View Full Version : Not TCCD? Damn! Looks like Im getting GSkill

Judaeus Apella
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I just found out the memory I was going to get OCZ Platinum Rev. 2, is TCC5 and not TCCD!! I did not realize this and I talked to someone who has both this ram and some others, and he said that TCC5 is just different, not that much better or worse, but its better at higher voltages and its slightly less quality. He said that what I was going to get was great, but I clenched my fist, drooling with greed, and said "I want the BEST!!!". So...

I've decided that I'm probably going to get "G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 550 (PC 4400) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE". It costs like $80 more which I'm not thrilled about ($256.12), but I guess you get what you pay for. Yeah, I’m sure its not the best in the entire universe, but $256 is about as high as I'm willing to go.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought on my decision. Before you ask, Im getting the new DFI UT nf3 AGP mobo, and I'm pretty solid on getting FX-55 cause I won't have to upgrade it for a long time.

And guys, I’m sure some of you have good reasons to be loyal to one brand or another, but I’m interested in cold hard numbers and facts. No offence, but I'm not going to spend money on a part just because someone has fond memories of using it in their first rig. If this offends anyone, I’m sorry, but that’s where I stand.

burningrave101
06-24-2005, 06:06 PM
TCC5 overclocks pretty much the same as TCCD. Some of it likes more voltage then TCCD in the area of 2.9-3V but regardless the OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2 is still some of the best if your just wanting high speeds. I would get a DFI NF4 board myself though and shoot the voltage to some UTT-BH. You can get OCZ Gold and G.Skill GH for $150 and at 250Mhz 2-2-2-5 you'll get pretty much the same performance your going to get at 300Mhz with lax timings on TCCD. Also, i wouldn't spend the money on an FX-55 myself. You may think your not going to upgrade for a while and it will last a long time but it wont. As soon as the faster processors start coming out you'll want to upgrade again and an overclocked FX-55 on air really isn't much faster then a Venice or San Diego running at 2.8Ghz or so. Its just a ton of money for a tiny performance increase you probably can't even notice outside of benchmarks. If you want to lay down the cash then buy yourself an X2 4400 1MB L2. At least then you'll get something worth the extra money because of its supreme ability to multitask.

perkam
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
TCC5 can do 300 fsb at cas 2.5 too...many of the TCC5 sticks do...especially the OCZ Plat Rev 2s.

Normally I'd agree with you. But I ordered some mushkin xp3200 thinking they were tccd and got Tcc5. I havent tested them yet but I plan to keep them as its practically 275 at cas 2.5 guaranteed minimum :)

Perkam

The Mofo
06-24-2005, 06:18 PM
TCC5 can do 300 fsb at cas 2.5 too...many of the TCC5 sticks do...especially the OCZ Plat Rev 2s.

Normally I'd agree with you. But I ordered some mushkin xp3200 thinking they were tccd and got Tcc5. I havent tested them yet but I plan to keep them as its practically 275 at cas 2.5 guaranteed minimum :)

Perkam

i just received my last RMA from Mushkin which is PC4400. SPD settings are 2.5,4,4,8 and it cant even do 275 stock, from 2.5-3.0 volts without errors on 4 motherboards. This is the second set, Actually, they only replaced one of the sticks and told me the other was fine. Testing each by themselves cant even do a 16M run of Super PI at 275 mhz.

burningrave101
06-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Aren't there two types of TCC5 based modules? OCZ only uses the best on theirs.

Judaeus Apella
06-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Sorry but changing the mobo is out of the question. As for the FX-55, I think you might be right.... then again. Im not sure.... Everyone says something different, and thats exactly the problem.

So it comes down to this, which is better? The OCZ Plat Rev. 2 or the GSkill EL 4400? Is there a graph I can look at that compares them or something? I'd like to see this for myself if I can.

I just want to know which of these two, or any others have the MOST reportings of achieving about 300mhz or higher. Everyone tells me something different. Isn't there some place that has it written in bold? :fact: lol

STEvil
06-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Its highly dependant on the CPU, since some have really bad memory controllers, others are average, and some are great.

Mine is just about average.. 285 2.5-4-3-8 1T 2x512 OCZ PC4800 Platinum. If I go to 2T I can get up to 310 benchable 2.5-4-3-8, and i'm only using ~2.85v.

Judaeus Apella
06-24-2005, 09:48 PM
So your saying it varies on the individual CPU you buy, not just the type of cpu? In that case, is there much of a difference in performance between these two products if they are both tested in the same system with a cpu that has a good controller??

By the way, why was this moved? :mad: I wanted it in the badwidth forum because, thats something I'd like to achieve with this system... and was hoping that people in that area of the forum could benefit me with their experience. Most of those people probably wont see this thread now...

STEvil
06-24-2005, 09:54 PM
just about anything TCCD or TCC5 based will clock well, the catch is your CPU has to, too.

Judaeus Apella
06-24-2005, 09:56 PM
So its not worth paying an extra $80 for? YAY!

theobub
08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
My CPU is a bad overclocker... but I can get 320Mhz on the memos If I use an 8 multi... I am running a 1Gb Set of G. Skill Pc4400 TCCD LE... I purchased 3 kits of those memos from different stores in differente places and they all work quite the same on my system.
As for the OCZ Plat. rev2 with the TCC5 chips they are great but the max I can get on them is about 290Mhz 2,5-4-4-8 and the G skills can go 305Mhz with only 2.5-4-3-0, so based on my experience the G. Skill (or lets say TCCD LE from them) is quite a better overclocker than theOCZ product... they are all great in my opinion but If I had to make an option I would rather go with the G. Skill.

k00lance
08-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Are LE's made of 440 chips?
I know FF are :p: