PDA

View Full Version : Missing "capacitor" on my NF7-S 2.0

MartO
06-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I was trying to remove my WB when I suddenly ripped out a little capacitor (???) near the Nforce2 chipset.

It's the one named as "L19" , do you know the specifications of this part so I can buy or find a new one?? I have a dead IC7 v1.1 where I can get some caps.

Best Regards
MarO

Disposibleteen
06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
have you tried running without it, it may not be that essential.

STEvil
06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
L19 is a surface mount diode I believe (going by how it looks - half black, half white), although I could be incorrect.

If you have a dead nForce 2 motherboard or a friend has one I would inspect it to see if it has a similar component (the one right below it looks the exact same).

MartO
06-24-2005, 07:46 AM
I think it's essential enough, the board does not boot.

Well, I don't have another nForce2 dead motherboard, that's why I need the specs of this surface mount diode.

Best Regards
MartO

STEvil
06-24-2005, 05:12 PM
if you can take the board to an electronics repair shop it might be a good idea to have them identify the part so you get the right one.. they should be able to order you one in also.

I could pop a couple off the dead board i've got and mail them, but no clue how long it would take for them to get to you and it'd be far cheaper if you can find them locally.

Even just showing them what the part looks like so you know you're getting the right part..

anyways, here's a picture to help I guess. could print it off and show it to someone that might know... I dont believe its a diode now after having searched around on google some..

not a bad pic for a camera with no optical zoom modes and only 2x digital zoom :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33069&stc=1

persivore
06-25-2005, 03:25 AM
I just checked L19 on my NF7, and it looks like its either a very small inductor, or some sort of bridge (it has a resistance of <1ohm).

hipro5
06-25-2005, 05:50 AM
L means coil.......L=coil........NOT a capacitor neither a resistor.......Most of them are SMDs 1uH chokes......You'll find some near the cpu's socket of the IC7 mobo.....ALSO take a look on the IC7 for some "FB" components....."FB" means "Ferrite bead".... ;)

Take a precausion when unsoldering them coz they are TOO delicate.....PLUS they are glued onto mobo not only by solder but by a special glue below them......Try to unsolder them with quick moves from one side of it to the other and visa-versa.....When unsolder it, measure it before you solder it back on the other mobo.....You should see on the multimeter a very small resistance OR 0....... ;)

MartO
06-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Thank you very much!

Now I'm trying to fix it. Thanks for your answers!!

Best Regards
MartO

STEvil
06-25-2005, 02:52 PM
thanks hipro, hopefully that sticks in my head somewhere ;)

elec999
06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
The L is not a capacitor, nor a resistor. Must be a inductor.
Thanks

MartO
07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Thank you very much Hipro!

My NF7-S is working again!!

I found some "FB" on my dead IC7, then I soldered them on the NF7 and walaaaa!!! It boot's flawlessly!!

Thanks!!

Best Regards
MartO

hipro5
07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
You are welcome my friend.......I'm happy when ppl do it.......You have to have some skils so as to unsolder/solder SMD components onto a PCB and you seem to have them....... :) :toast: