PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling setup dilemmas

Roger78
12-19-2002, 02:37 PM
I've been thinking about building watercooling for more than half a year now, and lots of ideas have popped up in my mind, then been scrapped. I even thought about doing a fridge mod at one time (I have a working fridge in my room that I found at the place where people leave old fridges, the only thing wrong is the thermostat, compressor keeps running constantly), but I scrapped that idea too since I want it to be mobile.
I've thought about going external with quick connects (like the hydraulics connectors on tractors etc.), ordering a chevette heater core from the US, and lots of other ideas.
Lately been thinking about getting a Blackice Extreme too, but read about poor price/performance compared to heater cores.
The idea when going internal has always been having an intake fan and shrouding it directly into the radiator (and maybe a shroud and fan at the other end too, and get a radiator that's small enough to fit under the 3.5" drive cage (max 19cm).

These are the parts I've bought so far:
MaxiJet MJ1000
A cheap 120x38mm Japan Servo DC Centaur II fan, model CNDC24K4-604, 24V 11W from Greenweld.
A cheap Comair Rotron 172x151x51mm, 24W fan also from Greenweld.
A used Maze3 with a clear top and 3/8" fittings. The seller forgot to send the mounting parts, and I will also get a metal top with 1/2" connectors.

Those fans run fine at 12V, with a noise level of about 33-37dBA (just an estimate), and both will even run at 10V with -5 and +5V.
-5V and +3.3V was no go for both though.

Now it struck me, why not remove the 3.5" drivecage, lose the floppy drive (hardly ever use it), and move the hd to the bottom 5 1/4" space using the converter that came with the case, and have the intake fan seperate from the radiator with a small clearance. The space between the front and the front panel of the case is about 3cm, so there's room for a 25mm thick fan there, and I could have an airfilter at the blowing end of the fan on the other side of the metal wall (inside the case). Then there's room for a 5cm radiator and 2-3cm thick shroud, with about 1cm or so distance between the front wall, since the distance from the front wall to the edge of the motherboard is about 12cm.
The distance between the left wall and the MB tray is 17.5cm, the motherboard protrudes about 1cm and add another 1 cm for connectors etc. protruding from the mainboard. That leaves 15.5 cm for the fan itself, which means I would have to get a 15cm wide radiator, or use an even slimmer radiator and make a shroud that narrows from the fan to the radiator (I was hoping to make a completely straight shroud since it would be easier). another option would be to scrap the 172x151mm fan and get a radiator tall enough for 2x120mm fans sucking air through it, I could get 2 fans more quiet than the 172x151mm one, and I could worry less about the width of the radiator.

Do you think this would work good?

Sorry about the lenght of the post, I just wanted to be as clear as possible, I just hope I didn't achieve the opposite effect.

N8
12-23-2002, 07:28 AM
What case are you using for this? There's got to be a good-working rad that you could get & use in it :)