PDA

View Full Version : Possible to burn in BH5 at only 2.9V?

blunden
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
My NF7-S v2 can only give 2.9V to the RAM in the bios. Is it even possible to burn in a pair of BH5 at this low voltage or is it doomed to fail? Btw. are all the new Twinmos Speed Premium BH5 built with UTT chips? :(

EDIT: Is there any reviews of the new BH5 except the one on vr-zone?

Aleman
06-22-2005, 04:51 AM
well, you could burn them out ;). Want them to run at a lower voltage.

example: A64 3000+ (1.8v 1.4v) STOCK burn out with 1.30v until errors dissapear.

Finally, you´d have a 3000+ at 1.8GHz using only 1.3v.

13oost
06-22-2005, 05:25 AM
they should burnin, but very very slowly

its just that 3.2-3.3 is more ideal and cuts the time way down

burning in voltage wise is somewhat dynamic b/c of the stress applied to the chips vs voltage vs timmings

you may be ok at 2.9vdimm (nf7-s usually overvolts atleast .05vdimm) if you keep the timmings on the ram cranked down as tight as you can get them (more or less 2-2-2-5)

i know this may sound half baked and not really supported among most people but at a lower voltage you could try tightening down your timmings w/ 2.9vdimm and go into windows and take the NF2 tweaker and tighten down the Alpha timmings as tight as they will go and use something like SP2004 (GO!) or large FFT prime95 or OCCT with it using as much memory as possible, that may help the memroy past what you can do in memtest stress wise, though it wont get all of the memory really, but with the tighter alpha timmings any heavy stress program would help accelerate the burnin some...

you could also try tightening down the Alpha timmings and run Folding @ Home while playing a CPU intensive game, or anything CPU intensive with F@H since it throttles to whatever it can get, and it usually gets your CPU pegged to 100% atleast and will give a little extra stress to your ram

just my thoughts...

it wont be easy or any short time, it might take a week or so to see much results, but yea

EDIT:: you could always do a vio=vdimm mod (3.3vdimm 24/7 and higher if you have an adjustable 3.3v pot or do a vsense mod on the 3.3 line on your cpu) if you are comfortable with soldering, or you could get an OCZ booster to get above 2.9vdimm

mad mikee
06-22-2005, 05:30 AM
In reference to the question about BURNING IN MEMORY NOT CPU!! :slap: (sorry I can't abide total irrelevence this morn)

Had NF7-S V2 b4 and yeah I ran BH5, it will burn in eventually, but only up to about 230 (started w/ max of 210), but it will of course be SLLOOOOWWWWW (months). Accept the lower speed or get a DFI infinity and grab the VOLTS :D

:off: PS: everyone check you CC statements, this month I got a bogus charge from WP-TOMO Group for 15.99

Dang - Boost beat me :slapass: but he is right! Still like the infinity since it allows you to do all he said about settings in BIOS

13oost
06-22-2005, 05:43 AM
yea, may be but the NF7-S is also a whole lot 'tougher' and not as picky and finiky...

lol

the DFI can usually beat the NF7-S stock (usually because of the extra ram voltage avaliable)

but it only takes a wire to feed 3.3vdimm to the dimm's and blow by an infinity

but like i said is probably the best way to (imho, lol) to burnin the memory... you could try burning out but i dont know how well that would work because of the effect the extra voltage has on the memory, undervoltage can be harder on a component and cause it to burnout from failure not because of excessive voltage but because of the strain it puts on it from not enough voltage... where as the extra voltage "loosens" the gates and such in the memory so it can "tolerate" more voltage... undervolting *may* work but i would be weary to do much of it, just my 2cent on that topic

EDIT:: idk if you have checked out modded bios yet but i highly reccomend the D26 Mantaray's XT 2T (cpcoff) from Tictac, it seems to work best for alot of people, the 1T may work well for you also.... also his D10 is quite widely used.... another good modded bios is Merlin, as he has the best D27 bios (or so i hear) around... kinda off topic to burning in, but these modified bios will allow for extra headroom in your ram and such

mad mikee
06-22-2005, 06:02 AM
:welcome: to Xtreme Blunden!!!!!!! :woot: :rehab: :party: :cheer: :banana:

HARDCORECLOCKER
06-22-2005, 06:13 AM
My NF7-S v2 can only give 2.9V to the RAM in the bios. Is it even possible to burn in a pair of BH5 at this low voltage or is it doomed to fail? Btw. are all the new Twinmos Speed Premium BH5 built with UTT chips? :(

EDIT: Is there any reviews of the new BH5 except the one on vr-zone?

:D How about the booster mate - much fun for little money........ ;)

:toast:

13oost
06-22-2005, 06:15 AM
lol, i missed that... thought you hat lost it for a second till i looked at his post count :slap:

welcome to the forums :toast:

blunden
06-22-2005, 06:39 AM
:D How about the booster mate - much fun for little money........ ;)

:toast: I was thinking about it but for some reason my 2500+ (AQXDA 0318UPBW) won't do even 200x11, sh*tty in other words. :( I don't know if it's the CPU that's holding me back or not, what do you think? Is that a good stepping or the worst stepping conceived by man? :confused: I read something where someone said it was good but that was really old and I would guess there are far better steppings out there for this old CPU.

The reason I bought them is mainly because they didn't cost that much more. They are UTT, right? :(

13oost
06-22-2005, 06:54 AM
have you done the L12 mod?

try Tictac's bios, D26 Manaray's XT 2T worked best on mine, like i said ealier 1T may work better, maybe his D10... if those dont work for ya try Merlin's bios

these bios has a built in L12 softmod, it worked for me but some peopele still do the L12 hard mod

blunden
06-22-2005, 08:00 AM
have you done the L12 mod?

try Tictac's bios, D26 Manaray's XT 2T worked best on mine, like i said ealier 1T may work better, maybe his D10... if those dont work for ya try Merlin's bios

these bios has a built in L12 softmod, it worked for me but some peopele still do the L12 hard mod I've heard people talking about the L12 mod but I don't understand why that would help if it can't run that speed anyway. Would be interesting to know.

Could it be a heat problem? My comp runs damn hot now in the summer.

13oost
06-22-2005, 08:15 AM
heat can be the issue

but the L12 mod makes the processor think its on a different default FSB and it uses a different frequency table, i think it defaults it to 266mhz fsb and use the ROMSOMP (cant remember the acronym)

put it like this, it helps, lol...

my former board was a NF7-s, also i found that my stability issue was TO MUCH vdd, i could get an overclock with a raised NB voltage and off a whim i dropped it to 1.5vdd and it completely stablized, for somereason some of those NB's dont like voltage being added to them

blunden
06-22-2005, 08:42 AM
heat can be the issue

but the L12 mod makes the processor think its on a different default FSB and it uses a different frequency table, i think it defaults it to 266mhz fsb and use the ROMSOMP (cant remember the acronym)

put it like this, it helps, lol...

my former board was a NF7-s, also i found that my stability issue was TO MUCH vdd, i could get an overclock with a raised NB voltage and off a whim i dropped it to 1.5vdd and it completely stablized, for somereason some of those NB's dont like voltage being added to them Interesting. Will try to get some better cooling first though as it is too hot anyway. I think I will try the bioses with the softmod instead of the hardmod if I try it as I have two bioschips (Abit sent me two instead of one by mistake, bought the mobo with a broken bioschip :D ).

EDIT: How about the stepping on the CPU? Is it good or bad? This forum (http://www.perfexltd.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=2473&) said it was good, but that was a while ago.

EDIT 2: I couldn't find it when looking at the link again. Strange. :confused:

13oost
06-22-2005, 09:06 AM
try the bios flash right now, alot of times lowering the multi and upping the fsb will lower heat on the cpu over all, clock for clock

uwackme
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
BH5 old or new is not going to get along well in NF2.

My Infinity....mod'd to do up to 3.7Vdimm.... wont get past 220ish with new BH5 at 2T or 190 at 1T, regardless of Vdimm.

Now my UTT.... and when _I_ say UTT I refer to the UTT-CH chips that were used for a long time by OCZ and called .... VX. Those kick ass in NF2. My sticks do 250Mhz 1T tight with 3.45Vdimm. ALot fo the stuff now...even "UTT" stuff is the UTT-BH chips, just new production of BH5. Well it suffers the same issues on NF2 that old BH5 does. I'd recommend hunting down UTT-CH ...OLD VX... if at all possible. Then D26MantaXT cpc ON will work ;-).

blunden
06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
BH5 old or new is not going to get along well in NF2.

My Infinity....mod'd to do up to 3.7Vdimm.... wont get past 220ish with new BH5 at 2T or 190 at 1T, regardless of Vdimm.

Now my UTT.... and when _I_ say UTT I refer to the UTT-CH chips that were used for a long time by OCZ and called .... VX. Those kick ass in NF2. My sticks do 250Mhz 1T tight with 3.45Vdimm. ALot fo the stuff now...even "UTT" stuff is the UTT-BH chips, just new production of BH5. Well it suffers the same issues on NF2 that old BH5 does. I'd recommend hunting down UTT-CH ...OLD VX... if at all possible. Then D26MantaXT cpc ON will work ;-). Well, I can't change them now as I already ordered them. But I guess it doesn't matter as my system don't seem to like overclocking anyway. Too bad I can't lower the multiplier for some reason (it shouldn't be locked). If I try that I the machine doesn't start at all and I have to reset cmos for it to start again. Hmm... maybe that was only on my old Soltek NF2 board, I can't remember. Any idea why this would happen?

13oost
06-22-2005, 12:02 PM
shouldnt happen on the NF7-s, just try slapping on the bios and see if that helps anything b/c those things are pretty heavily modified and improves overclockability by ALOT

yea the BH-5 has always not liked NF2 a whole lot, but the old CH-5 was horrid peroid, lol.. the new UTT-CH is great for them but.... they seem to have a high deathrate atm for somewhat of an unkown reason

blunden
06-22-2005, 12:24 PM
shouldnt happen on the NF7-s, just try slapping on the bios and see if that helps anything b/c those things are pretty heavily modified and improves overclockability by ALOT

yea the BH-5 has always not liked NF2 a whole lot, but the old CH-5 was horrid peroid, lol.. the new UTT-CH is great for them but.... they seem to have a high deathrate atm for somewhat of an unkown reason How much bandwith will I lose at the same frequency using 2T instead of 1T? How much more will I have to clock the memory to achieve the same performance?

13oost
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
there isnt much difference between 1T and 2T on the NF2, the NF2 dosent like double sidded DIMM's anyway much less a whole gig

blunden
06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
I think I will try the bios you said later. Is there any way of turning off the bootscreen?

This ram is double-sided, right? I looked at the pictures and guessed the size of the memory chips to be 32MB (8*32=256). Is this correct? Would 2T timings be better for my mem then? I guess that is why you pionted me towards the 2T version 13oost? Thanks for all the help by the way. I know i'm irritating asking so many questions. :( :slap:

EDIT: Should I use latest AWDFlash (from official d27 bios) or do I dare use Abit Flashmenu? Can I select my own bios instead of it downloading automatic? Anyone had the program crash when updating?

13oost
06-22-2005, 02:55 PM
always used flashmenu, lol.... dosent matter though

lol i tought you was running 2x512 (=2T usually), 2x256 (=1T if you can)

i never saw much difference in 1T and 2T

blunden
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
always used flashmenu, lol.... dosent matter though

lol i tought you was running 2x512 (=2T usually), 2x256 (=1T if you can)

i never saw much difference in 1T and 2T Okay, I will try Flashmenu then. Yeah I will run 2x512Mb when I get the new ram but right now I'm running 2x256 Adata Selectra. :( What I meant by the 8*32=256 was for each side of the memory (what I could see), I guess I should have written 16*32=512. I will try the 2T then.

EDIT: I now saw that flashmenu has the option to clear cmos also but I still need to "restore defaults" and reboot, right? Should I clear the cmos with the jumper too?

13oost
06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
yea reboot, set optimal, reboot power down, clear cmos, reboot and load optimal, then reboot and set your speeds

makes sure everything takes effect that way

blunden
06-23-2005, 02:06 AM
I tried the flash now (the 2T version) and now I can at least run at other multipliers (tried 10x190 just to be sure). I will try some clocking now. Thanks for all the help. I will report back on results.

EDIT: It didn't boot in 200x11. At 205x10,5 it said a windows-file was corrupt. Though it booted fine in 200x10 I cranked up th vcore to 1.675 wich makes it between 1.648 and 1.68 just in case as it wasn't stable at 200x10,5 (failed in seconds in prime95). :( This could be because of heat though or it could just be that my CPU don't like overclocking. :(

EDIT 2: Is the soft L12 mod used by default or do I have to set it somewhere? What is the differens between 3/3 4/4 5/5 6/6 dividers? Wouldn't they be the same as 1/1 or how does it work? Is the 200x10 faster than 190x11? I know more fsb at the same frequency is faster but now the differens seems small. What do you think?

13oost
06-23-2005, 05:54 AM
3/3 and 6/6 seems to work best for NF2 boards, 6/6 works best for me

i would run 200x10

your running an A XP, 1.675vcore wont get you to aweful far even on a XP-M... you need atleast 1.75-1.85 before these will scream (unless you get a really really good chip)

the Tictac bios is optimized for 10.5 multi

what kinda of cooling do you have?

try either running a higher multi or really loosening the ram timmings up to see if its your ram or what... this may be a heat issue, my 2400+ XP-M and 1700+ DLT3c both started acting querky whenever they got anywhere near 48-50C

blunden
06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
I would gladely bump up the vcore a bit if I didn't make the CPU run this hot. I really need better cooling but I would really like to get the Antec P180 first (it hasn't come to sweden yet). What is the best aircooling I can get that fits on my board?

blunden
06-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I got them today. Strangely the SPD timings were 2.5-3-3-8 at 200 MHz but 2-2-2-11 worked fine. I haven't tried clocking some more with them yet but I think I will wait for some better cooling.

EDIT: Too bad the topic was moved as I don't get any answers now. :(