PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade posibilites

pucker1986
06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Basically in 3 pay cheques time im off to uiniversity to study physics, in that period i would like to improve my already decent machine.
I have :
tyan s2875
Pair of opterons 244
4* 512mb ddr ecc 266 ram
couple optical drives
250gb sata
32mb geforce 2 card
nice 14db power supply

Basically i the system is all i wanted except the graphics, the motherboard takes agp 8x and i can pick up a nice 6800gt for about £240

This would make the graphics up to scratch

However i would like to run 2 19" tft monitors this graphics card supports it but i would take a performance hit when gaming? is that correct.
So i could populate one of my normal pci slots with a nice pci graphics card found a 256mb fx5200 supports direct x 9

i might use it to watch dvds whilst gaming ect.

so for about £300 i could get a decent graphics based system.

On the other hand any one who knows the motherboard i am using knows it is relatively old in computer terms, tyan originally when the 252 opteron came out supported it but now tyan have released motherboards with the 1ghz fsb have magically with drawn the support for the 2875 and dual core support so no bios upgrades for me. The motherboard lay out to be honest sucks, 2 procesors next to each other cannot get more than 80mm fans on both, it lacks pci-e ,sata 2. The gigabit ethernet and sata on there are only connected to a pci bus so not the highest specs, also if you look at the block diagram it looks like a single processor system with a second procesor added to simply share cpu 1 tasks. all in all there is little or no future in the motherboard sure the g70 may come out in agp 8x and the ati equivalent, but no dual core support and lacking pci-x is a killer.

So basicaly i have just enough cash to purchase a s2895 £340
This is the tyna k8we yes the dual opteron dual pci-e motherboard
obviously my processors and memory can be taken over graphics this time would needed to be pci-e
most probably pick up a pair of 6600gt

i doubt i will use them in sli just kinda saves effort picking 2 out each costs about £130 so thats £600 ish for a new setup.

The question now stands with wether the extra £300 is worth the extra capability, the future proofing of pci-e and having sata 2 ang gigabit ethernet connected to the pci-e bus. also it would be a proper dual system looking at the block diagram.

which option to go for? and can anybody find a better graphics combo that is necesarily matching for the same cash (6200 and a 6800gt?)
Thanks for reading the long posts
any suggestions accepted

Plz note £1= $2 give or take, any prices may be cheaper in states however i would need to pay exchange rates and customs about 30-35% together