PDA

View Full Version : new ln2 block

gloatlizard
06-13-2005, 04:35 AM
hi guyz,i have normal ln2 container but i want to create something very big and i would like to have some suggestions from you.remember that i can buy a 80x80x70 or a 80x80x130 copper block and that professionist will work on it with a CNC precision machinery;) so if you can post some project of you ideal ln2 heatsink;)

one more question: i remember that charlie told that a base too much thick would be a bad thing, but why?

10x

gloatlizard

Disposibleteen
06-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Too thick of a base causes too much of a variable temp. The best designs for ln2 i think are either the design with a central "screw" looking thing or the one with pins.

ilkkahy
06-13-2005, 08:57 AM
I have thought about this and I think best would be alike to intel "star type" stock coolers with lamels going from centre to outer circle forming a block to centre above the cpu core.

I myself dont think much of that centre screw desing because lamels are horisontal and boiling gas rises upwards. Its good because of the centre block and the nice surface area but not still that good i think.

I was supposed to build myself a pin type Ln2 container for future today but some other stuff came along and didnt have the time. Bottom is going to like this but whole area will be pinned:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/ilkkahy/ln2&co2%20kupit/heatpipe%20co2%20container%204.jpg

As far as i know Ln2 viscosity ir pretty low so i think those pins arent too dense. Someone correct me if you happen to know.

Or maybe ill build that "star type" container instead of that. Im not certain yet. Im building containers very eager now because i have the time and materials. Im going to try Ln2 overclocking some day too for sure so why not making proper equipment in advance when its possible :cool:

gloatlizard
06-13-2005, 10:19 AM
disposibleteen i can't understand what you tell me,that sounds really strange,in my opinion if i freeze a bigger base i will have a more solid temps,i think i'll load temps for more time....

gloatlizard
06-13-2005, 10:20 AM
and you have to consider that heat has a piramidal way of moving from the cpu,so according to me would be perfect a pyramide probably with pin in it...

gloatlizard
06-13-2005, 10:28 AM
something like this imho will be really fine http://img237.echo.cx/img237/5633/immagine0jk.jpg

sorry for the horrible paint design:D

ilkkahy
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
disposibleteen i can't understand what you tell me,that sounds really strange,in my opinion if i freeze a bigger base i will have a more solid temps,i think i'll load temps for more time....

Thicker base reduces cooling power because distance in copper from cpu to surface area comes longer. However the base needs to be thick enough to conduct heat from small cpu core to all over base to surface area and to the pipe. In practice 1/2" have been found to be pretty optimal (thats what i have read somewhere).

This is the factor that makes such an intresting subject. Everyone can just increase mass but increasing real cooling power is much more challenging and i would say its the right way to go.

gloatlizard
06-13-2005, 10:47 AM
i don't think that 1/2 would be the best base misure,however what do you think of that piramidal design?

ilkkahy
06-13-2005, 11:12 AM
By base thickness we are talking about that thickness that is solid copper. Lamels or pins doesnt include there (just to make it clear). Even if you had very effective container with lots of working surface area too thick base will and does reduce cooling power. I dont know how to calculate it but its not easy thats for sure (right thickness for optimal cooling power is propably much less than 1/2" but there are other factors from pin-lamel structure so it cant be generalized.)

That pyramid desing seems fine. Im not quite sure in what position you are going put pins so if you meant to put them vertically complete straight i would say you are close but still thinking bit too two dimensionally. Maybe i thought it wrong but i remind that heat doesnt conduct over those pins.

Distance to surface area inside the copper... Thats basically the only thing i have figured out with this intrest. :rolleyes:

afireinside
06-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Find the ideal base thickness than make a tube with the most surface / ln2 contact area possible and use an arc hold down.

Zyklon5
06-13-2005, 04:18 PM
There are 2 design options here Chilly1 style with a spiral extension of the cpu block and the VTec ARC Pot http://v-tec.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ of wich i didn't find too many detailed pictures. Base should be around 10 to 12 mm thick, round or rectangular shape, the size of the socket maybe slightly bigger, anything more will freeze neighbouring caps.