PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Grand Prix discussion

Pages : [1] 2

saaya
06-12-2005, 11:40 AM
EDIT:
If you have a Question about the competition please first read the competition rules to see if they answer your question(s) HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65856)
If you want to register to join the competition please please visit the registration booth HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65853)

Troman had the idea to make a new 3d contest not using only one benchmark but several ones to make it more demanding. i had thougt about a similar thing before and we both worked on the idea.
this is what we came up with so far:

we thougt we would use 3dmark 2001, 2003 and 2005 as well as aquamark, superpi and pifast. the results of all scores will be used to calculate a final score.

the current scoring system we thougt off looks like this:
3Dmark05 result divided by 15
3Dmark03 result divided by 30
3Dmark01 result divided by 40
Aquamark result divided by 100
Superi (1000-result)X10
Pifast (1000-result)X10

all scores will be added up and form the final Ultimate 3d score wich will be meassured in Xtreme Marks :D

we are still tweaking the rating system to make each benchmark as important as the other ones and to adopt it to each benchmark, as some scale more than others.

the contest will go as following:
to take part you have to register first, post the specs of the systems you will be competing with and details about the cooling, and if possible a pic of the system :D if any part in your system dies you can only finish the competition by replacing it with an identical piece of hardware.
the contest will run like a grand prix, but instead of having several race tracks we will have several benchmarks :D
we will run one benchmark for one week, and then switch to the next benchmark in line.
you will have a 1 week time window to tweak your system for a benchmark and submit your best shot, after that week is over all scores for that benchmark get locked, and your highest result in that benchmark for that week will be used to calculate the final score.

categories:
we will naturally split the field of racers into several categories from a "formula1" to a "demolition derby" :hehe:
we havent decided about the categories yet though, and we came to the conclusion that it would be best to watch the systems of the participants of this competition and then create categories to evenly split the participants to. (if we make a cacade categopry and only 2 people use a cascade this would be pretty pointless for example...)

prizes:
honor, glory, loads of women and a pic of you on the front page :D

start and end date:
not set yet

please let us know what you think!
any feedback is welcome :D :toast:

we would appreciate it if some of you could post results of your system at stock speeds and at oced speeds in as many of the benchmarks we are going to use as possible, wich will be very helpfull to see what bench scales how, this will help us to tweak the formula to calculate the Xtreme Marks :D

and if you think we should drop a benchmark from the line or add another one, please let us know!

- Saaya and Troman

2fink
06-12-2005, 12:21 PM
count me in.

not the best system, but i think it will really make fun to tweak the system for every benchmark.

question: if i have a very good old run with the same hardware, can i use it or must i re-run the bench in the "one" week?

Ackbar
06-12-2005, 01:55 PM
prizes:
honor, glory, loads of women and a pic of you on the front page :D

I'd recommend including prizes proportional to the category you enter. So if you enter the lightweight X300/6200 category and win, you get a lesser prize than if you entered the X850 XTPE/6800 Ultra category.

Actually, along these lines, I'd rather see an endurance test competition! Not just one run, but you'd have to be able to loop the test at least some arbitrarily large number of times so people who aren't stable will have to work to get their systems stable and not just able to make one good run!

Let the games begin! :woot: :clap:

wittekakker
06-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Nice idee of u Troman. I realy going to watch this, and maybe bench if I find some time. This should be on frontpage to saaya :)

Highland3r
06-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Will the benchmarks be weighted? ie. Those of us with say a 9800pro cant really compete in 01/03/05/aquamark against those running say an X800 or SLI/crossfire...

Wiggy McShades
06-13-2005, 06:00 AM
could you make a seperate sli/amr division its kinda stupid running 1 card against 2. how exactly are you going to place people into divisions ? by gpu and cpu speed or by cooling?

Wiggy McShades
06-13-2005, 06:15 AM
Look at my first post....
there you see every classe that wil exist(for now,Saaya and I will work out pretty soon)

ohhh i thought that was a sugestion, sorry. can you enter two different rigs into two different classes ?

alexio
06-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Maybe you can find a sponsor for this competition and include some nice rewards.

I think I will participate in this contest, since I have the time for it this summer.

2fink
06-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Good question....
yet i think (after speaking with saaya)that this question can be easy answered....rebench that week....

Its like the olympics or a world championship..that's what this is actually all about...see who's the best of all at that moment...
:toast:

:toast: good to know. cant wait to start benching.

faruquehabib
06-13-2005, 07:02 AM
sounds fun. downloading programs now...

Entity_Razer
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm in,just let me take my big room fan :stick:

AMD 2500+
A7n8X-X
1GB DDR 3200+ twinnmos (non UTT,just Mtec's)
HDD's don't matter I suppose?
9800pro
Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1

cooling:
SP 97 + 92 mm EnermAX fan

LilGator
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
saaya, it seems the Pi tests are a little over weighted. Most people should be able to score 40secs or lower ... so 1000-40 = 960x10 = 9600 ...

Lets say we have a system that does: 34,056 - 15,517 - 7,135 - 89,223 ...[eva2000's sig ;)]

01 => 851.4
03 => 517.23
05 => 475.67
AM => 892.23

Then you throw in a 42sec PiFast, and a 32sec Super_Pi...

[(1000-42)*10] = 9580
[(1000-32)*10] = 9680

The 2 Pi results add up to 10660. The 4 3D tests add up to 2736.53.

I think you should drop the x10 in the Pi equation, leaving a total of 958 for the 42sec PiFast and 968 for the SuperPi run, both numbers much more comparable to the 3D runs.

Total score would be: 3802.53 XtremeMarks [13396.53 if you leave the x10 for the Pi]

Now for scaling, lets say eva2000 bumps up his clocks and cranks out these new scores: 36,342 - 16,721 - 7,862 - 93,275 - 39sec - 29sec

Total score would be: 4854.8 XtremeMarks [22242.8 if you leave the x10 for the Pi]

It seems to me like the jump from ~3800 -> ~4800 is much more reasonable, than the 13K -> 22K. So I suggest removing the 10x in the Pi formula at a minimum. :)

^ THiNKiNG on the FLY ^
----------
[I like the proposition below better]
----------

OK, I really like how the 3D tests are scaled. The dividers are all relative to the world records in each test. IE: eva2000s, 7K '05 score is approx 47.6% of the WR. I think the 3D01 divider should be bumped to Score/45 ... since the WR is approx. 45K. AM3 should be bumped to Score/120. Then we should be set.

----------

OPTiON B - (I like this better), for PiTests ...

Super_PI
[120-(score)]x10

Ok, for consistency sake, we want the scores to be relative to their WRs. A score of 45,000 in 3D01 would result in a sub-score of 1000 XtremeMarks; or a perfect score (tying the WR supposedly). A score of 36,000 would result in a sub-score of 800; or equivalent of 80% of the WR.

Now SuperPi. The WR is currently somewhere around 19s I think. So a score of 19-20s should land you around a 1000, just like in the 3D tests, right? K, cool, let's do it.

[120-(20s)]x10 = 1000.

Lets say we score 32s, an 'average' score, we would get [120-(32)]x10 = 880 ... or about 88% of the WR (this is much rougher estimate is lower scores are better here, but you get the idea).

Same will work for PiFast, I think the WR is somewhere 10s higher (~29-30s?), so a formula of [130-(score)]x10 should work the same here.

:)

After all are tallied, the WR score should be somewhere close to 6000. Or 1000 (a 'perfect' score) in all 6 tests. To make things more interesting, and to not have to rely on decimal places for close scores, I think 60,000 should be the scale. So my proposed final calculations are as follows ;)

3DMark05 result divided by 1.5
3DMark03 result divided by 3
3DMark01 result divided by 4.5
Aquamark3 result divided by 12
Super_Pi (120-result)X100
PiFast (130-result)X100

Using eva2000 as a lovely example again, here is our final outcome:

34,056 '01 - 15,517 '03 - 7,135 '05 - 89,223 AM3 - 42s PF - 32s SP

01 => 7568.00
03 => 5172.33
05 => 4756.67
AM => 7435.25
PiFast => 8800.00
Super_Pi => 8800.00

TOTAL: 42,532 XtremeMarks for approx. an aircooled 2.7GHz S754 A64 and 270MHz 2-2-2-5. w/ x800XT.

LilGator
06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes, the problem there is SLi. 15K is reachable with SLi/Crossfire making his score (single card, in comparison) much lower. But seeing as there will be separate categories for Dual GPUs / Single GPUs, it shouldn't be a problem.

QuikSilver
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
This is going to be awesome! I'm glad I have a high clocking chip and a 6600GT that can also get insane clocks with a few mods. :banana:

i found nemo
06-14-2005, 06:56 AM
count me in :)

but to keep it fair, i think each speed should be a class, eliminating who has what cooling

example for cpu

2000mhz-2200mhz:
2201mhz-2400mhz:
2401mhz-2600mhz:
2601mhz-2800mhz:
2801mhz-3000mhz:

so on so forth, sure it's more classes, but on the down side, there would have to be more prizes, as there is more classes....also, classes by core and mem clock speed, and by pipes enabled on the card....??

LilGator
06-14-2005, 07:29 AM
AiR | H2O | PHASE | EVERYONE

Seems like fair separations. I agree, a category for Cascades would be silly if there were 2 people. Instead, there should just be a category with everyone, LN2/DI/Cascades can all compete for the top there. No rules, anything goes in this category :) Also, I'm sure there are high-end aircooled systems that compete with some water. Same with chilled water and low end phase. An everyone category would be interesting to see, obviously it will be won by someone with LN2/DI/or a cascade, but this way we don't need a separate category ... just a thought ...

After those basic separations, some sub-categories will be necessary. None of these benches take advantage of multi-threads, so no need to separate for multi-CPUs. Multi-GPUs on the other hand will be needing a separation. Side note, I think it would be silly to differentiate between ATi and nVidia as well.

AiR SiNGLE GPU | AiR MULTi GPU
H2O SiNGLE GPU | H2O MULTi GPU
PHASE SiNGLE GPU | PHASE MULTi GPU
ALL SiNGLE GPU | ALL MULTi GPU

Separate categories for iNTEL and AMD I think is also over the top, way too many categories, and neither one has an advantage over the other like multi-GPUs have over single, or cascades have over air.

Personally, I'd stop it right here, 8 categories, should work well.

If we have hundreds of people in this contest, we might be able to have more sub-categories. But this would be silly for a low number of contestants, since some categories might only have one person in them (like PHASE MULTi 4 PiPE GPU). But here is the next breakdown anyhow...:

4 PiPES | 8 PiPES | 12 PiPES | 16 PiPES

Anything less than 4 pipes competes in the 4 PiPE category, anything with more than 16 pipes ( :eek: ) competes in the 16 PiPE category.

So here we have it:

AiR SiNGLE 4 PiPE GPU | AiR SiNGLE 8 PiPE GPU | AiR SiNGLE 12 PiPE GPU | AiR SiNGLE 16 PiPE GPU

AiR MULTi 4 PiPE GPU | AiR MULTi 8 PiPE GPU | AiR MULTi 12 PiPE GPU | AiR MULTi 16 PiPE GPU

H2O SiNGLE 4 PiPE GPU | H2O SiNGLE 8 PiPE GPU | H2O SiNGLE 12 PiPE GPU | H2O SiNGLE 16 PiPE GPU

H2O MULTi 4 PiPE GPU | H2O MULTi 8 PiPE GPU | H2O MULTi 12 PiPE GPU | H2O MULTi 16 PiPE GPU

PHASE SiNGLE 4 PiPE GPU | PHASE SiNGLE 8 PiPE GPU | PHASE SiNGLE 12 PiPE GPU | PHASE SiNGLE 16 PiPE GPU

PHASE MULTi 4 PiPE GPU | PHASE MULTi 8 PiPE GPU | PHASE MULTi 12 PiPE GPU | PHASE MULTi 16 PiPE GPU

ALL SiNGLE 4 PiPE GPU | ALL SiNGLE 8 PiPE GPU | ALL SiNGLE 12 PiPE GPU | ALL SiNGLE 16 PiPE GPU

ALL MULTi 4 PiPE GPU | ALL MULTi 8 PiPE GPU | ALL MULTi 12 PiPE GPU | ALL MULTi 16 PiPE GPU

Like I said, I wouldn't go this far, maybe a breakdown like this would be OK, but actual "prize-winning" categories would be silly, being there are 32 of them.

LilGator
06-14-2005, 08:00 AM
For the question that may come up sooner or later; with an aircooled A64 and a watercooled 6800GT, which category am I in ?

I would propose that the moment you slap a waterblock on the GPU of your all aircooled system, you bump up to the water category, regardless if you have your CPU watercooled or not.

Same goes for phase on the CPU and air on the GPU. You are bumped up to the phase change category.

Make sense ? :)

=[PULSAR]=
06-14-2005, 08:07 AM
I absolutely agree with you gator w/e the highest level of cooling on the system is, thats the category it should be in. Just my opinion but the categories should just be split up into cooling and SLI/non-SLI. No point in having an overall category cause obviously phase/DI/waterchilled is going to win.

Wiggy McShades
06-14-2005, 08:13 AM
For the question that may come up sooner or later; with an aircooled A64 and a watercooled 6800GT, which category am I in ?

I would propose that the moment you slap a waterblock on the GPU of your all aircooled system, you bump up to the water category, regardless if you have your CPU watercooled or not.

Same goes for phase on the CPU and air on the GPU. You are bumped up to the phase change category.

Make sense ? :)

i would think if you have water on one part of ur system its considered a water cooled rig, it would be unfair to put you in air cooling because no one with an only air cooled system could compete with a watercooled system even if its only the gpu.

LilGator
06-14-2005, 08:20 AM
=']I absolutely agree with you gator w/e the highest level of cooling on the system is, thats the category it should be in. Just my opinion but the categories should just be split up into cooling and SLI/non-SLI. No point in having an overall category cause obviously phase/DI/waterchilled is going to win.

Right, should we have a EVERTHiNG-COLDER-THAN-PHASE category ? LOL

Or individual categories for Cascade / Dry Ice / LN2 ?

I think an anything goes category would be a better way for the big boys to compete as it doesn't matter what the heck you cool with, just get the top score. :banana:

i would think if you have water on one part of ur system its considered a water cooled rig, it would be unfair to put you in air cooling because no one with an only air cooled system could compete with a watercooled system even if its only the gpu.

Exactly. :)

Wiggy McShades
06-14-2005, 08:35 AM
why exactly do you need the seperate intel and amd sections ?

LilGator
06-14-2005, 09:29 AM
So you're saying chilled water (-5c) ... will compete with LN2/DI/Cascades ?

Seems like quite a range there.

Categories are created for fairness sake. AMD vs. Intel is perfectly fair, especially when separated into cooling categories :) Same with ATi vs. nVidia ...

I see where you are going though, but I don't think it's necessary to break down the individual tests, seeing as that's the whole purpose of these XtremeMarks and the entire contest :D

So here's what I would say:

If you don't complete all the tests, your score is still tallied and totaled up the same way. That's the idea in this Grand Prix, at the minimum, complete all the tests, or "finish the race". If you don't, then you don't; no need for a breakdown of the individual tests, then you might as well just show the real scores, and we already have threads upon threads for that sort of thing :)

LilGator
06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Thats what i said ;)

amd vs intel-->3dmark01?fair?

Absolutely, ever heard of Dothan ? :slap:

:p:

Fission
06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I am definitely in. With all the great concerns being brought up, I will throw in my 2 cents.

I have a VIA chipset mainboard, so I am functionally impotent. Could there not be a class called "Welfare Class" for those of us who bought a VIA? If not, I will still be proud to come in last.

2ndly, AMD N-Bench-3 is not that popular on this forum it seems, and is essentially AMD only, but it is a pretty intensive utility, and it definitely showcases the quality of overclock on AMD machines.

Both of these concerns can be answered by a simple "yes" or "lol" but I thnk that it would help me feel like a big man if VIA users could stand some chance at glory, even though we bought the worst chipset out there (we'll assume no one on this forum has an SiS).

EDIT - Where do we register our specs/pics?

[XC]thewildblue
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Im in as well. Out of interest how do we stand with duallys and such like with super Pi etc ?

LilGator
06-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Super_Pi is not multi-threaded. Like I said earlier, none of the tests are, so there is no need for separate catagories. :)

Fission
06-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Is SuperPi limited to windows results based on an x86 version?

[XC]thewildblue
06-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Yes Im aware of it not being multi threaded, hence why I asked. Do any different rules apply or a different way at all ?

LilGator
06-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Yes Im aware of it not being multi threaded, hence why I asked. Do any different rules apply or a different way at all ?

eh?
:confused: My brain hurts ...

:p: Explain...

Fission:

While I'm fairly certain there are Linux builds of SPi, I imagine the Super_Pi run will require using this build: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54389

[XC]thewildblue
06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Nevermind it was just a query. I think Im getting confused now as well....lol

Stuperman
06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
LilGator sounds like an awesome breakdown, one thing though, is it even possible to have multi GPU with 4 pipes (6200 sli?).

drcrawn
06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Sounds good, but please no dos based benches...I'm lazy, plus I need a64 and clockgen to overclock more than BIOS will let me... :)

LilGator
06-14-2005, 01:31 PM
LilGator sounds like an awesome breakdown, one thing though, is it even possible to have multi GPU with 4 pipes (6200 sli?).

LOL, no, I was copy/pasting like mad ... Honestly I really think breaking it down that far is a tad ridiculous...

drcrawn, there aren't any DOS benches here, all in Windows ... ClockGen away !

afireinside
06-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Count me in!
CPU: 3000+ DTR clawhammer dry ice cooled
mobo: DFI LP UT
ram: 256 meg BH5 stick
GPU: 6800nu 16/6 volt modded cooled by ice water or phasechange depending on what I can get
PSU: TTGI 520 watt with modded rails

I think we have to lower the classes. With 32 classes just about everyone is a winner... I think it should be AMD and Intel than each divided by cooling. Sure, ATI pwnz Nvidia in 3d01 but it will make you push harder and you can always make up in other areas.

Question:
Since dry ice isint something you can run every day would we be allowed to run everything in a few bench sessions and save them until the time they are to be posted? I have to steal my video card from my gaming PC to benchmark so I'd like to run all my benchmarks in 2 or 3 shots and be done.

Stuperman
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
yeah, count me in too 4 pipes for now, 8 pipes when my 9800pro gets here

see sig, oh, all air 4 me.
I really need to find some nice PC4000 to get the best out of my system.

p.s. when does this start?

Fission
06-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Stuperman,

6200 GPUs don't support SLI, and I would recommend ditching the VIA board before replacing your RAM. Sounds like you and me may be the ones duking it out for A64/8-pipe/air/cheap via motherboard. I look forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

Stuperman
06-14-2005, 04:34 PM
@fission

I know my mobo is crap, but from what i've read the only decent oc'ing 939 AGP board is the MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum, and it's bios's for that have been pretty limiting of late.

I do have an AGP/PCI lock, so my HTT does 255~ stable, I think new ram is more pressing at the moment.

LilGator
06-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Count me in!
CPU: 3000+ DTR clawhammer dry ice cooled
mobo: DFI LP UT
ram: 256 meg BH5 stick
GPU: 6800nu 16/6 volt modded cooled by ice water or phasechange depending on what I can get
PSU: TTGI 520 watt with modded rails

I think we have to lower the classes. With 32 classes just about everyone is a winner... I think it should be AMD and Intel than each divided by cooling. Sure, ATI pwnz Nvidia in 3d01 but it will make you push harder and you can always make up in other areas.

Question:
Since dry ice isint something you can run every day would we be allowed to run everything in a few bench sessions and save them until the time they are to be posted? I have to steal my video card from my gaming PC to benchmark so I'd like to run all my benchmarks in 2 or 3 shots and be done.

So, is splitting up into AMD vs. iNTEL more important than SiNGLE vs. MULTi GPUs ? :) Adding AMD / iNTEL separation causes 16 categories, instead of 8...

What you guys think ...?

computerpro3
06-14-2005, 06:52 PM
im in but one suggestion:

For high end cooling,

Waterchilled based
Sinlge Stage Phase change
Cascades
LN/DI

That's the way to split it up. It's not fair to have -10C mach1 loaded against -195C loaded cascade

afireinside
06-14-2005, 07:36 PM
How about we make the SLI guys run with just one card?

Stuperman
06-14-2005, 08:53 PM
that would simplify things, only single card setups.
I am worried about people putting thier modded 6200's in the 4 pipe catigory though (and other such cheats).

i found nemo
06-14-2005, 09:14 PM
my other 4 pipes don't work :(

TMM
06-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Count me in :p

saaya
06-15-2005, 05:03 AM
count me in.

not the best system, but i think it will really make fun to tweak the system for every benchmark.

question: if i have a very good old run with the same hardware, can i use it or must i re-run the bench in the "one" week?
the only results that count for this competition are those you reached during the one week window for each benchmark. otherwise people could just post their old highscores in different benchmarks, wich isnt the idea of the competition, the idea is to make people tweak their systems to a max in a limited time of one week for each benchmark.

I'd recommend including prizes proportional to the category you enter. So if you enter the lightweight X300/6200 category and win, you get a lesser prize than if you entered the X850 XTPE/6800 Ultra category.

Actually, along these lines, I'd rather see an endurance test competition! Not just one run, but you'd have to be able to loop the test at least some arbitrarily large number of times so people who aren't stable will have to work to get their systems stable and not just able to make one good run!

Let the games begin! :woot: :clap:
IF we get prizes ;)
i actually thougt of a different prizing system. the "wheel of fortune" system :D

we have several prizes and the highest rank can pick a prize first, then the second rank can pick another prize etc... so the winners can pick whatever they prefer of all the prizes. this is a usefull system imo since we might set something up as the prize for rankX that the person who reaches that rank doesnt really want/need :)

Will the benchmarks be weighted? ie. Those of us with say a 9800pro cant really compete in 01/03/05/aquamark against those running say an X800 or SLI/crossfire...

could you make a seperate sli/amr division its kinda stupid running 1 card against 2. how exactly are you going to place people into divisions ? by gpu and cpu speed or by cooling?

as i said, we will split it up into categories to make it fair :)

I do have 1 tiny idea...Maybe get rid of pi fast because Super Pi is already there. Instead use Cinebench, or something similar, that has a timed feature as well. Or just get rid of it all together - IMO Pi isn't very "3D".
hmmm i like the idea, will talk with troman about it :)

lilgator, the idea to make the relevance of the different benchmark results dependant on the scores compared to the world record is a great idea imo!!!
thx for the help man! :toast:

...No where is Saaya when you need his input on this :Dsorry bro, my allergy is giving me a hard time :/

i think its best to decide what categories we are going for once we already have results and while the competition is already running, that way we can apply different ideas to split the different people into categories using the results of the people in the competition, and then see wich idea works best. :)

lilgator, same thing, i think its best to see some results when the competition started and is running alreay and then in week2 decide what system of categorizing would work beast to evenly split the field of competitors :)

=']I absolutely agree with you gator w/e the highest level of cooling on the system is, thats the category it should be in. Just my opinion but the categories should just be split up into cooling and SLI/non-SLI. No point in having an overall category cause obviously phase/DI/waterchilled is going to win.

yeah, i agree as well :)

i think we should split results into categories depending on what cooling is used in the system, not only on the card. if the cpu is watercooled it should be in the watercooling category, if we decide to make a watercooling category of course, since better cpu cooling gives you a higher score with the same videocard clocks.

Thats what i said ;)

amd vs intel-->3dmark01?fair?
well thats the idea! some cards and cpus are faster in one bench and slower in another, now using a set of benches creates an overall result and makes up for the lower scores one piece of hardware might get in one of the benches :)

EDIT - Where do we register our specs/pics?
in this thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65853

Question:

hmmm i can think about it but id say no atm, youd have to go for one dry ice run every week for every bench hmmm
the idea is to weekly update the results and create some tension with a show down of the last benchmark results in the last weeks :D
if somebody posts his results before the competition showdown then it takes away the idea of the grand prix, get what i mean... :)

another question that might come up:
can i compete in several categores? ie with a 6600gt and also bench on a 9800pro? or bench with two different rigs?

and the answer is no, as it would increase your chance to win something wich is unfair imo, everybody gets one chance with one rig so to say :D

saaya
06-15-2005, 06:12 AM
i set up the rules for the competition HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65856)

if you have a question please read the rules first to see if it has been answered already. if not then post here or pm me and i will answer it and add it to the rules :)

LilGator
06-15-2005, 07:11 AM
i think its best to decide what categories we are going for once we already have results and while the competition is already running, that way we can apply different ideas to split the different people into categories using the results of the people in the competition, and then see wich idea works best. :)

lilgator, same thing, i think its best to see some results when the competition started and is running alreay and then in week2 decide what system of categorizing would work beast to evenly split the field of competitors :)

Makes sense, I like it.

i think we should split results into categories depending on what cooling is used in the system, not only on the card. if the cpu is watercooled it should be in the watercooling category, if we decide to make a watercooling category of course, since better cpu cooling gives you a higher score with the same videocard clocks.

:thumbsup:

well thats the idea! some cards and cpus are faster in one bench and slower in another, now using a set of benches creates an overall result and makes up for the lower scores one piece of hardware might get in one of the benches :)

Agree completely.

=[PULSAR]=
06-15-2005, 07:44 AM
When will the first week exactly start cause well waiting for a couple things to RMA and my credit card bill to come to see how much $$$ I have to play with :D

LilGator
06-15-2005, 08:07 AM
ever heard of northwood ,prescott...al great cpu's...but amd is raping them for sure in that benchmark...
fact is how many people own a dothan? 10?5?

Hmm, of the systems registered so far, two are iNTEL ... ahem ... both are Dothans ;)

saaya
06-15-2005, 04:59 PM
the competition should launch in 2-3 weeks i think, sounds good to you troman?
i want it all to be thougt through well and organized :)

btw, if anybody has time to help with this competition it would be much appreciated!
im trying to get the mbot working for this so it can automatically collect the scores posted in a thread and filter the highest score for each user and make a high score list, but im not sure if it will work out, so we might need help to make those lists manually. if anybody wants to help please pm me :)

afireinside
06-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Well that sucks about the dry ice :( Luckyly if we are only running 1 bench a week I can get away with only buying 10 lb of the stuff instead of 20. Half the price :D

Will tweaking of the cooling be allowed? Like if you are doing dry ice could you re design your tube? Or if phasechange could you tweak your charge or improve sub cooling or something else to reach lower temps? How about piling an extra 5 delta fans on your heatsink if room temps jump up? :D

saaya
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
yes, that would be fine, you can of cousre use dry ice for one bench and run the other ones on air or water, but you would end up in the dry ice category, even if only one bench was made with dry ice.... otherwise it would be unfair.

and yes, adding fans is allowed, changing a waterblock or stuff like that is allowed.
the only thing that isnt would be going fron air to water, water to phase change or things like that :)

=[PULSAR]=
06-15-2005, 05:18 PM
How many weeks will this prix be? Leaving for basic training in 8 weeks hopefully I have enough time to be around for the whole thing or maybe submit it all a bit sooner damn just when I'm about to leave all this fun gets underway :(

saaya
06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
should be 1 wek for each bench, at least 4 weeks (2k1 2k3 2k5 aq3) probably more.

since we will start in 2 weeks it looks like you might not have the chance to take part in it :(

LilGator
06-15-2005, 05:33 PM
2 + 4 = 6 ?

6 < 8 ?

Right ?

saaya
06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
4+x ;)

but it might work... if we hurry up and start the competition in 2 weeks or less and only use 5 or 6 benches it will work out :)

i think we should only use 5 benches max... 6 weeks would be too long i think...
what do you guys think?

=[PULSAR]=
06-15-2005, 05:46 PM
5 would work for me :p: I want to hurry up and win my prize :banana: what would the 5th test be? SPI? Cinbench? Something out of Sandra?

afireinside
06-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I think 01/03/05/AM3/Pi 8M/cinbench should be done.

I've never done cinbench so that should be fun :D

And 8M instead of 1M on the Pi because its harder to do. Use the ms/anticheat version and you can do 1000 - seconds taken = points. So say it takes you 4 and a half minutes, thats 1000 - 270 = 730 points. Around the same amount as the 3d benchies. Maybe lower the 1000 to 800 or so since its an easier bench than 3d?

LilGator
06-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, what's the 8M world record ?

6 weeks is a looong competition ... but it might be funner that way.

saaya
06-15-2005, 07:39 PM
i like cinebench tbh, but troman and me will have to discuss this and decide what we want to chose. but as ive said before, this competition is for you guys, we want you to have fun, so if you have a special bench youd prefer we will of course listen to you if theres a clear voice for a certain bench :)

=[PULSAR]=
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Wow totally forgot about it what about PCMARK?

afireinside
06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
:lol: yeah that other futuremark benchmark that doesn't have flying missiles, exploding space ships, and matrix scene ripoffs... That sounds good!

saaya
06-15-2005, 09:10 PM
pcmark? hmmmm tbh i find it a bad overall system performence indicator and its a really boring and ugly benchmark imo... :P

zabomb4163
06-15-2005, 09:11 PM
should items not on the market be allowed that might give an unfair advantage? such as macci using the crossfire...

Stuperman
06-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I like render bench, something like 1000-time in straight seconds x 2.5

saaya
06-15-2005, 09:17 PM
hmmmm why? id like to see some crossfire results, wouldnt you? :D
but yeah, unless there are several people with crossfire boards/cards it wont count in the same category of course. running sli and crossfire in the same category wouldnt be fun for people running sli :D

added to the competition rules :)

afireinside
06-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I still think we should force the multi card guys to take one card out...

fatfreepork
06-16-2005, 12:18 AM
How about at least 8M pi?

HARDCORECLOCKER
06-16-2005, 07:39 AM
:D Hey - nice idea, maybe I'm onboard. But 1 week for each part of competition is not enough time. Many of us have to work a lot and dealed never before with some benchmarks (pesonally I never used Aquamark & PC Mark).

So to get familiar with all the bench programs the competion requires and to install them and run a couple of tests one week is a short time.

O.K. - one week contains 168 hours if You don't sleep or go to work but that is unrealistic - so what about a longer distance for each part? Maybe 2 weeks.

Fission
06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Unless I am missing something, shouldn't it be pretty realistic for the benches to all be run inside of 1 evening? Can't help but think that if it takes a week to finish 25 minutes worth of benches, you might be out of the running.

Maybe I am totally on crack, or maybe I am just familiar with benching on these programs. Or maybe, it is a simple contest, first one of it's kind at that, and it is not life and death.

afireinside
06-16-2005, 09:26 AM
You can always prepare before the actual week ;) During the actual week it should only take you a day or two of benching to give a good score. More than a week is just way to long. Less than a week and some of the guys with busy lives may have to drop out due to lack of time to run the bench.

pcboarder
06-16-2005, 11:06 AM
I am not one to be fast about benching but i dont think I am that slow that I would need 2 weeks. I think one week is fine. :fact:

drcrawn
06-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Don't know about you guys, but we are in full summer mode here in Seattle, Washington. So...I need to do a little cold weather dance to the Gods above :p:

skeensp
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I would like to see the rules say it has to be a COMPUTER to even be in the competition. Not a heap of parts lying on the table. A computer (PC) is all installed in a case such as sold by Proprietary system builders.

Wiggy McShades
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
com·put·er

n.

1. A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.

says nothing bout cases here.

skeensp
06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
com·put·er

n.

1. A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.

says nothing bout cases here.
You know what I mean. :slap: How often do you go to the store and see a computer for sell without a case? :)

Wiggy McShades
06-16-2005, 11:29 AM
You know what I mean. :slap: How often do you go to the store and see a computer for sell without a case? :)

ok good point but requiring a case will make condensation proofing a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: but it may add more of a chanlenge to the compition, now that i think about it more.

afireinside
06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Who would enter a competition with a computer built by someone else? This is XTREMESYSTEMS, not computersinacase.org We take pride in our "heap of parts lying on the table" as you called it.

Entity_Razer
06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Yhea people in a case have a slight disadvantage concernign airflow and dissipation of heat.

But to me that rule should only count on Aircooled rigs and not on WC or vapor rigs

Fission
06-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Don't know about you guys, but we are in full summer mode here in Seattle, Washington. So...I need to do a little cold weather dance to the Gods above :p:

I'm 3 hours north, and it has been CHILLY the last few weeks. Do it late at night, it is getting down right cold, to the point I can see my breath outside after 9:30pm or so. Granted, Canada is immediately 500 degrees cooler than the states, just because.

LilGator
06-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Ah please people ... it's pushin' 100F here in sunny Florida :)

Thickbrit
06-16-2005, 02:35 PM
I love this whole "benchmark grand prix" idea.I'll be in,fighting for the intel + ati corner,as always.Many thanks to Saaya and Troman for all the time and effort they will be putting into organising this challenge for us all to get excited about.

=[PULSAR]=
06-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Ahhh the perks of directing central air all into one room. Did some benching last year and got my room down to a brisk 10C :) think the ambient was around 27C. Have the feeling that my room is going to be the new Alaska during this competition :p:

saaya
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
the best way to listen and to make sure it wil be honest ....would be a poll..with a short description etc... :)

great idea! :toast:

ok, what do we got?

cinebench
pcmark2004

what else?

frank, seriously, more than one week for each bench?
i think one week is perfect, you can try some tweaks during the week and then bench at the weekend. the idea is just that, you dont have forever to tweak your system but only a limited amount time :)

Unless I am missing something, shouldn't it be pretty realistic for the benches to all be run inside of 1 evening? Can't help but think that if it takes a week to finish 25 minutes worth of benches, you might be out of the running.

Maybe I am totally on crack, or maybe I am just familiar with benching on these programs. Or maybe, it is a simple contest, first one of it's kind at that, and it is not life and death.
its not just about running the benches, its about tweaking the system, carefully pushing the overlock higher mhz by mhz :)
that takes quite some time!

I would like to see the rules say it has to be a COMPUTER to even be in the competition. Not a heap of parts lying on the table. A computer (PC) is all installed in a case such as sold by Proprietary system builders.
why? whats the difference? i have a bunch of parts stuck into each other lying on a table for months, thats my computer... :D

some have an sff or custom case, should that not be allowed either?
i dont understand what the problem with this is...
and as i said earlier, pretty much everything is allowed, 1st of all we couldnt control it anyways, and 2nd this competition is for you all to have fun, forcing some to change their system for this competition would def mean no fun or less fun for a lot of people :)

Yhea people in a case have a slight disadvantage concernign airflow and dissipation of heat.

But to me that rule should only count on Aircooled rigs and not on WC or vapor rigs
i recently ran some tests and theres barely a difference between no case and an open case... so to improve the airflow you can just open the case... maybe stick a 120mm fan blowing frash air in... that should be the same as having no case :)

I love this whole "benchmark grand prix" idea.I'll be in,fighting for the intel + ati corner,as always.Many thanks to Saaya and Troman for all the time and effort they will be putting into organising this challenge for us all to get excited about.
:bows:

n00b 0f l337
06-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Will you post a big thread each week saying like...

AQUAMARK BENCHMARK FOR GRAND PRIX COMPETITION?

something big so we all see what the benchmark for the week is?

fatfreepork
06-16-2005, 07:37 PM
pcmark is a great addition. perhaps some 32m pi?

boshuter
06-16-2005, 07:45 PM

I think pcmark is a good addition too.... it's a lot trickier to score well on, but there is nothing wrong with making a pc do more than run 3D benches ;)

Wiggy McShades
06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
im pretty sure no one aske this yet but what about drivers do they have to be the future mark aproved ones ? or can you use anyones you want?

saaya
06-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Will you post a big thread each week saying like...

AQUAMARK BENCHMARK FOR GRAND PRIX COMPETITION?

something big so we all see what the benchmark for the week is?

theres a week1 thread already, it will be opened when the competition launches, and the bench we run in that week will only be anounced at that time.
it will go like this for the entire competition, you wont know what the next bench is until the next week starts. except of course for the last week where you will naturally know what bench we are going to run :D

id prefer to keep this 3d related... dont you guys want another 3d bench?

im pretty sure no one aske this yet but what about drivers do they have to be the future mark aproved ones ? or can you use anyones you want? good that your asking! i almost forgot about it :D
we will only allow futuremark approved drivers!

afireinside
06-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Damnit! Now I have to make new installs with approved drivers...

LilGator
06-17-2005, 05:26 AM
Perhaps the following

PCmark04
Cinebench
Sissoft sandra

id prefer to keep this 3d related... dont you guys want another 3d bench?

Codecreatures Benchmark Pro
(can be downloaded here (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=359) )

saaya
06-17-2005, 06:25 AM
im no sandra fan :D
codecreatures sounds cool, what about using a game benchmark?
half life2? doom3? (via has just released a nice new doom3 timedemo) far cry? riddick is supposed to be very demanding, is there a good bench or timedemo of it?

Stuperman
06-17-2005, 06:30 AM
If you want to use a game benchmark,y not try the X2:the threat roling demo?

that way you don't need the game.

saaya
06-17-2005, 07:01 AM
you dont need the game for far cry and doom3 either, dont know about hl2 VST and riddick.

x2 the threat... hmmm imma go check it out :)

is there a way to bench with battlefield2? :D

LilGator
06-17-2005, 07:23 AM
FRAPS and a demo for BF2 I think ...

Fission
06-17-2005, 07:28 AM
1 bench a week?

If I may suggest then that we do 3D2001 first, so we can install Win2000/8.1, and then get that out of the way so we can get back to our regular gaming?

Codecreatures is pretty decent, and it is purely GPU dependant, but there are already enough pure 3D benches IMO, Superpi/PiFAst are the only pure CPU ones really right now. Will Xtreme Marks be derived 90% from graphics tests? We need more CPU tests, and I agree, forget Sandra.

Older 3D benchmarks will help blend CPU/GFX performance.

Also - In regards to video drivers, can we have a common group of drivers to select from? That will even out the playing field a bit, or at least for some tests.

HousERaT
06-17-2005, 08:50 AM
If we decide to go with the various game benchmarks, will the demos and stuff be provided? I have the basic stuff like 3DMarks and Aquamark3 but some of this other stuff I don't. Will be given links to get all this stuff?

=[PULSAR]=
06-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Whatever happened to 3DMARK99 :D That would be fun just for ****s and giggles. We should definitely have a test thats all CPU and mem not really graphic related. SPI 8M sounds good to me too but I guess its upto everyone else :)

LilGator
06-17-2005, 11:15 AM
The main problem here is accountability. You have to be able to prove your score. 3DMark has the ORB, AM3 has the ARC, and Super_Pi has the checksum I believe. All can be verified, and they are used almost as the 'standard' in overclocking. Adding other tests is going to be trouble as we'll have to believe screenshots...

Teams sounds like fun :) Designate teams beforehand, and have them stuck for the remainder of the contest. Balance 'em out so every team has a good combo of different categories [air/water/phase] and a fairly competitive chance of beating each other. Would be very fun :D

LilGator
06-17-2005, 11:38 AM
HardwareOC FarCry Benchmarking Utility ? It does pop out an HTML result, but then again there is no way to know it hasn't been modified ...

LilGator
06-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Also, CINEBENCH 2003 is multithreaded, and has a 64-bit build as well so we'd have to make new categories for Dual-CPUs and 64-bit CPUs; something I think we want to avoid...

HousERaT
06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
again you got me.. :)
yes it will be very difficult to check but!!.
we can always let testers/people bench it first to have some values were we can base our opinions on..wheter it's fake or not...
and by the way this is Xs most people here are good persons so...

As much as I hate to say it, even though this is XS and most people here are pretty respectable, competition has a way in bringing out the worst in people.

HousERaT
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
that goes without saying (even for a skeptic like me) I have faith in most people..... but it only takes one turd to mess it up for everyone else. ;)

LilGator
06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Aighty ... we also want conclusive proof that someone is cheating, not just a hunch. Kick+Ban on a hunch isn't a good policy ;)

So I think we might want to not use benches that can be cheated on, to avoid the problem completely...

saaya
06-17-2005, 12:36 PM
if only people would stop cheating... :(

since suprpi is the only bench with a way to verify the results, a checksum, i think we should go for that bench... what do you guys think?

and yes, if somebody manipulates the results he will get disqualified and most likely banned from xs, im going to check with the other admins to see what they think.

LilGator
06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
3DMark01
3DMark03
3DMark05
AquaMark03
Super_Pi [Mod]

And our final benchmark: UMark + UT2004 Demo :)

http://unrealmark.net/
ut2004-demo3334.exe

Official Botmatch Bencmark + Official Flyby Benchmark @ 1024x768 (for compatability among members here :))

"UMark and UMark online implement several security measures to help prevent cheaters from modifying their benchmark scores. This will help ensure that the scores on UMark Online are all fair, and it may be possible to hold benchmarking contests."

Here's the catch. To upload results you have to be a member and membership is $8.99. So here's what I propose. One person, mod, judge, is responsible for checking results. We, the benchers, run both tests until we get our final result, and then save it as a .umark results file named properly. IE: [LilGator.Botmatch.umark] and [LilGator.Flyby.umark] ... upload as an attachment in our results post, and the judge grabs the .umark, loads it into his copy of Umark and verifies the result.

Theoretically, of course, I'm going to test this out now to make sure it works as I stated. :)

saaya
06-17-2005, 12:43 PM
hmmm imma contact them and ask if they can let us use it for free and in return we promote it or something :)

LilGator
06-17-2005, 12:45 PM

saaya
06-17-2005, 12:48 PM
yeah, thx man :)

LilGator
06-17-2005, 12:49 PM
eesh, I just grabbed the ut2004 demo @ 3.5MB/sec ... yeah megaBYTES :D lol

LilGator
06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
It's an older engine that runs very fast on most hardware. [OpenGL right ?] Not sure there is a definite advantage of nVidia over ATi ...

saaya
06-17-2005, 12:56 PM
i think it was faster on ati first, but the recent benches i saw of it showed nvidia was slightly faster. but its minimal, and if it matters we can make ati and nvidia categories, but in the overall field we should be able to iron out any preferences of single benches for one piece of hardware and get an idea of the overall performence.

in benchmarks!
not in real life! if hardware performs well in benchmarks it means just that, its fast in benchmarks, it doesnt mean its fast in real life apps :D most people forget about that

LilGator
06-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Mmmkay, just tested it out. If we can't get into the online results system, it can work as I showed above, having a judge. I saved a couple .umark files, loaded them, and could verify bench settings of the test, FPS and final score as well as machine info such as CPU/Video/RAM so we could make sure it was run on the same system.

A few bugs/possible cheats ... someone help me out here and see if you come to the same conclusion.

1) If you hit escape and exit real quick after it starts benching, it will go back to Umark and give you FPS and results. Does it check if it was aborted, or completed the entire test ?

2) If you hit escape and leave the menu up during the test, do you get higher FPS ?

Stuperman
06-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I think that the whole ATI/nVidia/AMD/Intel catigories is a bad idea, because in real grand prix's (sp? sorry for the real world comparo, I hate them too) there are different manufactures. but the pipes/cooling thing is like different classes.

p.s. 59XX series are 4 pipes right?

boshuter
06-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I really don't care what benches we run :D There is no way to please everyone and as long as everyone is running the same benches.. who cares? :toast:

Are we going to be able to use different operating systems for different benches? Or do you have to stick to one?

Magnj
06-17-2005, 07:16 PM
yay im pumped for this. Got my processor up to 2.55 very stable just today, and did a little Airconditioner mod this week, I should be able to bench at the caazc's brick wall of 2.6 and hopefully my Video card will benefit from the 18C degree ambient Idle temps :)

Sentential
06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Ohhhh yea. My new 660 is arriving just in time it seems!

fatfreepork
06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
superpi 32m yes or no? since it can be validated.

Fission
06-17-2005, 11:09 PM
UT2004 in OpenGL or D3D? Nvidia should prefer OpenGL, but will it be allowed?

Highland3r
06-18-2005, 04:03 AM
Whens the competition gonna start guys unless its stated somewhere in this thread in which case i missed it...
Have a slight problem, in that from ~ the 28th of June, 1/2 of my pc will be the other side of the country as I'm heading home for a bit. The P4C, doth, BH5 and booster are coming back, however the 9800pro isnt. If I run some benchmarks on the 9800 while its here, and submit later will that be ok? If everythigs run before then thats not a problem :)

Jamo
06-18-2005, 05:04 AM

UT2004 is direct X, i've got a couple of things i'd like to point out in that, i dont see how were gonna divide it into fair categorys, because if you do it by video card this doesnt take into account the CPU etc.. and vice versa, as much as i like the idea i dont think everyones gonna be on a level playing field, for example with LOD how are we gonna know if the nvidia users have/havn't used LOD on their benchs?

saaya
06-18-2005, 05:34 AM
I really don't care what benches we run :D There is no way to please everyone and as long as everyone is running the same benches.. who cares? :toast:

Are we going to be able to use different operating systems for different benches? Or do you have to stick to one?
any os is fine :) you can change it just as you can change the drivers :)

Whens the competition gonna start guys unless its stated somewhere in this thread in which case i missed it...
Have a slight problem, in that from ~ the 28th of June, 1/2 of my pc will be the other side of the country as I'm heading home for a bit. The P4C, doth, BH5 and booster are coming back, however the 9800pro isnt. If I run some benchmarks on the 9800 while its here, and submit later will that be ok? If everythigs run before then thats not a problem :)
read the rules thread, no date set yet :)

hmmm theres no way to see if it was opengl or d3d and since we cant control it it would be stupid to try to restrict it imo.
so i guess opengl or d3d, whatever scores better for you, so ogl for nvidia and d3d for ati... IF we pick ut2004 :D

UT2004 is direct X, i've got a couple of things i'd like to point out in that, i dont see how were gonna divide it into fair categorys, because if you do it by video card this doesnt take into account the CPU etc.. and vice versa, as much as i like the idea i dont think everyones gonna be on a level playing field, for example with LOD how are we gonna know if the nvidia users have/havn't used LOD on their benchs?
that snot an argument against ut2004, nvidia people can use lod tweaks in all benches afaik :/

added all the questions to the competition rules :)

Fission
06-18-2005, 09:55 AM

UT2004 can be run in OpenGL, and at least for me, that is far faster than running it in D3D.

Wiggy McShades
06-18-2005, 12:02 PM
ok so on the future mark benchmarks we have to use futuremark aproved drivers but what bout aquamark ? ive never run that are there aquamark aprooved drivers or something ? if not are you going to specify what driver/s we can and cannot use ?

EvilWhiteDragon
06-18-2005, 12:21 PM
about the categories:
I think it is somewhat unfair for people with PhCh to compete against LN2 or cascades , so maybe we should have these categories:
Air / Water / PhCh / Unlimited
Also I think that chilled water should fall under PhCH because to chilled water is usually maybe by PhCh techniques and has about the same cooling capacity

Wiggy McShades
06-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Good point...
yet...
let's say we put a simple rule on this one
only latest wHQL wil be used...
to keep it fair
..... ;)

just one last question bout drivers then im done i promise. what if mid contest new drivers are WHQL certified can we then use them ? in my opinion i think it should be set to the latest WHQL drivers at the begining of the compition, but thats just my opinion.

fatfreepork
06-18-2005, 12:45 PM
I vote for just Fm approved drivers. With 71.89's i score about 10900 in 3d03 but with the 76.xx which are whql certified i can do about 11500 without even trying. I think that they are lame point boosters and that only Fm approved should count since only those would let you show up in the default search settings on the orb.

Gray Mole
06-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey Sider ;) u still ain't broke 80k???

hehe

Yeah, think splitting water vs better water seems a little OTT, and really lumpling all phase wouldn't bother me either, even though I'll lose :rolleyes:

Seems like a temp split would be far better, though temps are subjective a lot of the time, no way to prove 'em, but categories based on temp ranges would be fairer...

40+, 0-40, 0 - (-40), -40 - -whatever...

More divisions would be better but even more awkward...

Just my :2cents:

Good idea maybe, but impossible to regulate I think...

Gray

LilGator
06-18-2005, 03:30 PM
about the categories:
I think it is somewhat unfair for people with PhCh to compete against LN2 or cascades , so maybe we should have these categories:
Air / Water / PhCh / Unlimited
Also I think that chilled water should fall under PhCH because to chilled water is usually maybe by PhCh techniques and has about the same cooling capacity

That sounds eerily familiar ... :fact:

;)

Wiggy McShades
06-18-2005, 03:48 PM
we can always do that,at the beginning of the week---> bam thats the drivers that's going to be use dand nothing else!
for sure the best idea...so if somone can report us the best drivers set.. :)

well why not just use the newest unless there are some known bugs with them. i definatly like the fixed driver idea so no one is put at a disadvantage because they dont search around for drivers. another posibility would be to have people test out a few different aproved privers for each brand and see wich ones are most stable so we are all working on known stable drivers so theres no way to say its not fair my drivers wernt stable enough to overclock on i coulda got higher.

=[PULSAR]=
06-18-2005, 04:12 PM
well why not just use the newest unless there are some known bugs with them. i definatly like the fixed driver idea so no one is put at a disadvantage because they dont search around for drivers. another posibility would be to have people test out a few different aproved privers for each brand and see wich ones are most stable so we are all working on known stable drivers so theres no way to say its not fair my drivers wernt stable enough to overclock on i coulda got higher.

I think thats the whole point of the competition is to tweak and find the best drivers for your setup and benchmark. I dont think we should limit it to a certain driver, however I do think we should limit to only manufacturers' drivers as in nvidia and ati no omega or anything else. I just spent the whole day with new gear and finding out which ati driver is best for my x600 in 01 dont tell me thats for nothing :p:

Wiggy McShades
06-18-2005, 04:26 PM
=']I think thats the whole point of the competition is to tweak and find the best drivers for your setup and benchmark. I dont think we should limit it to a certain driver, however I do think we should limit to only manufacturers' drivers as in nvidia and ati no omega or anything else. I just spent the whole day with new gear and finding out which ati driver is best for my x600 in 01 dont tell me thats for nothing :p:

i did the same thing for 03 and 01 before i asked if we could use any driver :doh:

=[PULSAR]=
06-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey saaya read this in the registration thread..."(XS Staff and Company Reps cant win anything, they are however welcome to join the competition for fun and to show some impressive results )"

Does this include me and the rest of the news staff? or just owners and mods?

STEvil
06-18-2005, 06:25 PM
I say that drivers should be FM approved to use for 3d01/3d03/3d05.. that way if a couple of us are going for records while doing this competition we wont be cut out of the competition ;)

not that drivers should really matter.. cheats are usually easy to spot and some drivers are known to have optimizations in them they shouldnt have.

Jasonhk
06-19-2005, 01:10 AM
What about adding a suicide mhz to the score? mmm ?

boshuter
06-19-2005, 06:32 AM
What about adding a suicide mhz to the score? mmm ?

I don't see how that would work if they are going to run Intel and AMD together in the same class. Most of the AMD's can't match the stock mhz of some of the Intels even on phasech. I'm all for it though :D since we won't get PCmark04 which Intel is good at. Take a look at the entries, overwhelmingly AMD systems; I don't think you will see many benches make it that favor Intel. ;)

EvilWhiteDragon
06-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't see how that would work if they are going to run Intel and AMD together in the same class. Most of the AMD's can't match the stock mhz of some of the Intels even on phasech. I'm all for it though :D since we won't get PCmark04 which Intel is good at. Take a look at the entries, overwhelmingly AMD systems; I don't think you will see many benches make it that favor Intel. ;)
well An Athlon X2 will beat intel in PCmark I think, so ..
And about the MHz shots , if we want to do that we'll have to find aa way to make it fair, maybe by doing something like this for AMD:
your MHz/4000*100= Score
and for intel:
your MHz/6500*100= score
or something like it

STEvil
06-19-2005, 02:01 PM
divide cpu mhz by GPU mhz just for fun maybe, but not overall score.

LilGator
06-19-2005, 05:18 PM
divide cpu mhz by GPU mhz just for fun maybe, but not overall score.

So you want a really high CPU clock, and a really low GPU clock ? :confused:

WeStSiDePLaYa
06-19-2005, 07:08 PM
what about the KNOWN LOD tweaks and everything like that? after the last competition alot of people will know how to utilize them and bias this competition.

STEvil
06-20-2005, 01:51 AM
yes.

However P4's have an advantage if CPU mhz are divided by GPU mhz.. thats what would make this tricky and not really measureable...

Jamo
06-20-2005, 05:28 AM
right, bit of a problem here, now i agree that only approved drivers should be used, however i cant enable 8 pipes on my 9800se with any of the approved drivers, so i used the patched ones from techpowerup.com, so whats my options? use the card as an SE with 4 pipes? or will i be allowed to use the techpowerup drivers to enable 8 pipes and make it a pro, i guess i could flash it to a pro as i know the 8 pipes work thus allowing me to use approved drivers, but i'd much rather just softmod it

LilGator
06-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Jamo, I imagine using the softmod on an approved driver would be just fine.

Entity_Razer
06-20-2005, 06:48 AM
yheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :p:

I re-installed my intere GPU cooling, and replaced all PCM with arctique Ceramique

Before I ran my GPU @ 425MHZ RHTDRBL -artifact free this was with relativly normal weather. Not hot,not cold

Now today as a heatwave appears to role over belgium (yhea heatwave and belgium in the same scentence, never knew that could happen) I get 430MHZ.....

This is great, I image, if I can get my case cooled enough with the room blower I might be able to reach 440 or 450 again perhaps. This is just great. Who knew a checkup and some new PCM could do that much :D

Jamo
06-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Jamo, I imagine using the softmod on an approved driver would be just fine.

i've tryed this, but futuremark still doesnt approve it, so i think it realises part of the driver has been modified, i heard there was a patch script for rivatuner but havnt found this yet.....had a 6800 and a pair of 6600's till last week so a little out of practise with ATI, does ATI allow LOD tweak? might not be as much as nvidia but i guess i might as well use it cos it seems everyone else likes fiddling with thier LOD, uptill now i havnt but i might as well jump on the bandwagon....

gonna be a good grand prix this guys, cant wait, have the final categorys been decided yet?

Entity_Razer
06-20-2005, 07:01 AM
ATi's do not allow for LOD

Jamo
06-20-2005, 09:56 AM
hmm, thats pretty lame, this is why i shyed away from it when i had nvidia cards, but now everyone seems to be using it so i guess its 'legit'

STEvil
06-20-2005, 11:22 AM
LOD has been in use since the first nVidia cards.

I dont agree with it, but everyone uses it, so to be competative in the nVidia class most everyone keeps using it.

Entity_Razer
06-20-2005, 12:33 PM
so defenitly ATI <-> Nvidia classes also

-Acid-
06-22-2005, 03:02 AM
I going to be trying hard for the A xp peeps

2850mhz + mxp power lolol looking to take some scalps lol

Jasonhk
06-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Hmm..SuperPi the CPU Benchies the only ones where i'll realy excell 25Secs in Pi and they arn't gonna count much anymore :( ahh LOL ;)

Entity_Razer
06-22-2005, 11:53 AM
dam, if I only had my Dual Xeon rig already. I imagen when OC'd to the fullest it can whoop some butts or 2 also :)

Bring on the renderbenches :slapass: :slapass: :slapass: :woot: :woot:

=[PULSAR]=
06-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Is there a planned start date just all I have heard were estimates. I waiting on a couple things. A VC RMA is it okay if it comes midway thru the 1st week of the competition. Also waiting and my redline idk if itll be here by the end of the 1st week would it be alright to start using it the 2nd week or can the mem not be swapped out during the competition?

Entity_Razer
06-23-2005, 10:33 AM
no mem swap.

You can change your entry rig already with your redline and all. Which off course means you can't begin benching untill mid-end 1st week but yhea .... no other way

edit:
Normally the contest begin next week I think

=[PULSAR]=
06-23-2005, 10:58 AM
You guys are killing me :p: Just sent GPU out today sent it 2-3 day prioty newegg will prolly start RMA monday finish wednesday package and ship it should be at my house either next friday or the following monday, if its monday I'm screwed :(

Entity_Razer
06-23-2005, 11:20 AM
humans don't understand ....

Xtreme OC'rs, now THEY understand such things :)

Gray Mole
06-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Hitting serious delays with my Dothan CPU being shipped...

'In Stock'...yeah right... :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to go back and update my entry...

Will be tough running the cpu stock, but the mobo on the 24/7 rig is awful...

Have to see if I can find something up my sleeve for a cpu for this fine P4C800-E I have here...I have a 3.4 P4 'loaner' if the owner don't mind it going under the Chilly1 for a little while...

No way will I have all the vmods to the card done by then either :(

I just need 2 weeks...*sigh*

Will update tomorrow with a final rig I guess, just not what I wanted :( :(

Gray

SoF
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
hmmm yes if i finally get my adata i will try to get some nice scores...maybe a friend will give me his xt pe for the run (my 6600GT is too low)
but i will be on a holyday trip for the next 2 weeks :/

=[PULSAR]=
06-23-2005, 07:23 PM
DFI Ultra-D just died :( Hope I can get it back in time 3rd thing to RMA this week :mad:

Entity_Razer
06-24-2005, 01:18 AM
thats the downside of buying at the egg and all. If I buy my mobos here in the local shop, I pay €10 more but if they have the board in stock (if they don't it takes them max 3 workdays) I just bring my board in and immediatly get a new one ...

Gray Mole
06-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Sorry guys I'm going to have to drop out completely...

All of my hardware is going for vmodding middle of the next week, and I'll have nothing to work with until the week after...

Sorry, I'll have to get in on the next one, just poor timing on my part :(

Cheers

Gray

sam3755
06-25-2005, 05:37 AM
quick question.

im on chilled wc right now. my temps are not subzero, around 7-10C range so technically its not phase change. what class am i in? im going to setup a chiller later and go subzero, but if i can sneak into the wc class ill keep my rig as it is. dont want to have to take on vapos.

-Acid-
06-25-2005, 07:57 AM
quick question.

im on chilled wc right now. my temps are not subzero, around 7-10C range so technically its not phase change. what class am i in? im going to setup a chiller later and go subzero, but if i can sneak into the wc class ill keep my rig as it is. dont want to have to take on vapos.

Are you below ambient temps and how are you chilling the water?

sam3755
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Are you below ambient temps and how are you chilling the water?

Yeah im below ambient temps, but thats not phase change. I use ice for benchmarking (which I guess would be phase change), but day to day I use chilled water from the fridge, my coolant temp is around 2-3C. So again, technically its not phase change, its like putting your computer in the fridge and reducing ambient temps.

Jasonhk
06-26-2005, 12:31 AM
well An Athlon X2 will beat intel in PCmark I think, so ..
And about the MHz shots , if we want to do that we'll have to find aa way to make it fair, maybe by doing something like this for AMD:
your MHz/4000*100= Score
and for intel:
your MHz/6500*100= score
or something like it

That could work, But it need to count more not a measly 80points, SuperPi counts like 9000points or so for us.. so Suicide shot needs to count about a few thouhsand.

like this for AMD:
your MHz/80*100= Score
and for intel:
your MHz/130*100= score

? :D

sam3755
06-26-2005, 01:08 AM
grand prix is going to be delayed for another week due the lack of registrations...
so gray mole don't worry

I think people are waiting to hear about prizes but personally i dont care either way.

Entity_Razer
06-26-2005, 06:42 AM
troman I honestly don't think another week will do much good for the registrations but it's nice. Now a lot of people get more time to do some more extensive maintenance on their rig and to mod some stuff :)

-Acid-
06-26-2005, 10:31 AM
I might have a good GPU then great hope the new 9800se aiw soft mods 100% like the last one.

New cooling tower too maybe

Entity_Razer
06-26-2005, 12:41 PM
good for you acid :)

Hope we can get this show on the road good :p:

I am mainly in it for fun but wouldn't mind winning something either :( ;)

-Acid-
06-26-2005, 03:37 PM
good for you acid :)

Hope we can get this show on the road good :p:

I am mainly in it for fun but wouldn't mind winning something either :( ;)

Me too my friend I going to fly the m-xp banner with pride I cannot afford the best stuff so i push what i have to the max and try to make everything i can run faster.

A Scream
06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
after reading the rules, I got confused so...
SLI-yes or no?

Gray Mole
06-27-2005, 05:24 AM
That's great news :)

My new X800 is here, and as soon as the dothan and CT-479 arrive, they'll be off for the mods! I hope I'm fully prepped for it, but either way I'm still in :D

Gray

Wiggy McShades
06-27-2005, 06:18 AM
after reading the rules, I got confused so...
SLI-yes or no?

as far as i understand u can use sli u just cant use a 6800gt one benchmark then an x800xt for another

InSanCen
06-27-2005, 09:50 AM
I cannot afford the best stuff so i push what i have to the max and try to make everything i can run faster.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, I intend to push the XP-M brigade, and hopefully beat a few with my "Lowly" DLT3C 1700's ;)

Methinks this'll revive a few Socket A systems.

Gonna mod my Vdimm to 3.3v on my NF7 specially for this as well (Better not screw it up then, or I'm reduced to a crappy Gigabyte RX and 2x256 TwinMOS that won't do 202Mhz :slap: )

Oh, If I nuke a processor (DLT3C 1700 0308), can I replace it with a DL3TC 1700 0310, or a DUT3C 1700 0314???

dippyskoodlez
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
ive got a problem though...

I cant even complete aquamark at stock... :(

Ivce tried an OS reinstall, several diff driver sets, etc...

I'll try to work this out though. :)

I'd like to see a "competing with all cooling stock" catagory. LOL :) Brings out the maximum tweaking someone can do.

My x700 already does 550/630 stock everything :slobber:

dippyskoodlez
06-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Mmmkay, just tested it out. If we can't get into the online results system, it can work as I showed above, having a judge. I saved a couple .umark files, loaded them, and could verify bench settings of the test, FPS and final score as well as machine info such as CPU/Video/RAM so we could make sure it was run on the same system.

A few bugs/possible cheats ... someone help me out here and see if you come to the same conclusion.

1) If you hit escape and exit real quick after it starts benching, it will go back to Umark and give you FPS and results. Does it check if it was aborted, or completed the entire test ?

2) If you hit escape and leave the menu up during the test, do you get higher FPS ?

i've actually managed to exploit this-- and grab a screenie.. posted it a long time ago as a joke-- 555555fps. :slobber:

=[PULSAR]=
06-27-2005, 06:32 PM

I'd like to see a "competing with all cooling stock" catagory. LOL :) Brings out the maximum tweaking someone can do.

What do you score in 05'

[XC] leviathan18
06-28-2005, 08:26 AM
im going to buy zalman for my cpu which one are good for my 6600gt?

[XC] leviathan18
06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
hey pc mark 04 and 05 are going to be ?

dippyskoodlez
06-28-2005, 09:36 AM
=']What do you score in 05'

hmm.. been so long I forget what I got.. ive never really liked 03 and o5 too much.. too GPU dependent... and It seems I keep forgetting to submit it.. ill have one soon tho. :toast:

-Acid-
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=InSanCen]Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, I intend to push the XP-M brigade, and hopefully beat a few with my "Lowly" DLT3C 1700's ;)

Bring it on mate my m-xp V you magic xp 1700 we can have are own little battle in are table, I,m looking to slay fat a64 tho , maybe a few fx51 too

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
will there be any way to submit a score if you aren't near your computer for the one-week time window or could a score be submitted in advance? I'm interested in competing in this, but i don't have a block of like 6 weeks in which i'm in town at least once a week.

=[PULSAR]=
06-28-2005, 05:32 PM
will there be any way to submit a score if you aren't near your computer for the one-week time window or could a score be submitted in advance? I'm interested in competing in this, but i don't have a block of like 6 weeks in which i'm in town at least once a week.

Yea there should definitely be considerations made due to time of season and families taking vacations...though I may try and stay home this year and have LANs and parties :D

harleybro
06-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Just checking but you did use the patch right?

InSanCen
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, I intend to push the XP-M brigade, and hopefully beat a few with my "Lowly" DLT3C 1700's ;)

Bring it on mate my m-xp V you magic xp 1700 we can have are own little battle in are table, I,m looking to slay fat a64 tho , maybe a few fx51 too

Cool ;) should be a laugh. I know i can pull 2.6 outta this chip, and who knows what I can get after I mod the Vdimm (Mabye not much more, but I'm gonna put the mod on a switch so I can turn it off for 24/7)

I've not clocked this card yet either.

Oh, if you look at this,
http://www.weescott.co.uk/overclocking.asp
check out 10th place in the XP section (non-m)... that's with the backup chip... the main chip is the one from 4th place :D
(I haven't posted there in a while due to Draconian sig rules... so it's not the fastest this has been)

-Acid-
06-29-2005, 05:57 AM
just fired a warning shot accross your bow then mate and posted on ocuk link (i,m 7th in m xp) what my chip is running at atm stable,

3100mhz will fall soon tho :p

this is getting better woot woot

http://www.weescott.co.uk/overclocking.asp

dippyskoodlez
06-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Just checking but you did use the patch right?

patch for aquamark? That could be the problem then. :p:

drcrawn
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Man :rolleyes: I somehow corrupted my HD two days ago, I'd boot to login screen then hang. Tried all sorts of things, even flashing my 6800u back to original bios...didnt matter. So...had to reformat completely which really stinks :nuts: Anyway I'm over it...which is nice :cool: , so I'm here downloading a bunch of stuff in anticipation of the Grand Prix.
Going with 01, 03, 05, Aqua3, SPImod1.4...what am I'm forgetting? This should be cool, hopefully there will be tons of catagories :) Anyone know if they will split the sockets up? Or just single channnel/dual...ddr/ddr2, something like that? :woot:

Gryph
06-29-2005, 05:38 PM
I am going out of town for the first two weeks in august which is right in the middle of the competition. I was wondering if whatever scores are needed during the time I am away can be submitted and ran during a time that I am actually in town? While I am away I will have no access to my benching rig and most likely not even an internet connection.

Gryph

mr_gibs
06-30-2005, 03:56 PM
i will also be out of town for part of the time so i will need to submit some scores in advance

flewpastu
07-01-2005, 02:23 AM
I am going out of town for the first two weeks in august which is right in the middle of the competition. I was wondering if whatever scores are needed during the time I am away can be submitted and ran during a time that I am actually in town? While I am away I will have no access to my benching rig and most likely not even an internet connection.

Gryph

hey Gryph ..... just drop it off to me on the way out of town i'll borrow/bench & post for ya ....... just a few miles north :D ..... i'll try not to use any of the parts on my Fatality set up :rofl:

shadowing
07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
I am tempted to actually enter in this Pentium 2 I only have.

Wonder how badly i'd do :P

Btw, is it okay to enter Pentium 2 and PCI card? :D

NOTE: Dead serious here. Only because my K8N-E Deluxe board hates me.

-Acid-
07-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey i put my Pentium 2 file server/firewall/download box against it

Highland3r
07-02-2005, 11:07 AM
*might* have to enter a 9500NP @ pro as the 9800pro seems to be maxing with the crappy PSU on the Dothan.... taking this will affect the class the system is entered into, will it still be competitive though?

Timothy730
07-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Darn.... I think im going to have to enter in watercooling even though my system isnt set up yet. If i watercool my cpu and air cool my gpu what catagory will it be put in? watercooling?.. that wouldnt seem very competitive or fair ><

sandwichamwin
07-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Darn.... I think im going to have to enter in watercooling even though my system isnt set up yet. If i watercool my cpu and air cool my gpu what catagory will it be put in? watercooling?.. that wouldnt seem very competitive or fair ><
Yep, you would be under watercooling, otherwise it isn't fair for people with only aircooling. I'm in the same boat, but i won't have a cpu waterblock, just gpu.

Sentential
07-03-2005, 07:18 AM
LOD has been in use since the first nVidia cards.

I dont agree with it, but everyone uses it, so to be competative in the nVidia class most everyone keeps using it.
If thats gonna be the case we need to set guidelines for that.

flewpastu
07-03-2005, 08:13 PM
i'm in the process of my building my next rig but will probably be 1/2 way thru this competition before it done .. so i'll just stick with this one in my sig ... it's no slouch either way

next rig Abit Fatality Sli ~ 4000+ CH ~ VJ modded X800 will upgrade CPU & VGA as time and finances permit

InSanCen
07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Please, *NO* LOD Tweaks in the Nvidia Class... UGH!

FPS are no good is you've got crap quality... It's like having a ferrari engine with a Vauxhaull Nova Gearbox, Sounds great, but you aint gonna get anywhere quickly

Peen
07-06-2005, 12:23 AM
I doubt ill be in this :rolleyes: Is there gunna be another grand prix sometime?

Stuperman
07-06-2005, 10:10 AM
It doesn't look like I will be competing in the first week at least, I have one bad stick of RAM and other nagging issues. (even with only my good stick I get Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal BSOD every 4 minutes).

Timothy730
07-06-2005, 12:39 PM
okay thanks but how long will the grand prix last? cuz vacation in august :)

Gray Mole
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Well the X800 is back from Persivore and running like a top! Cheers mate! :toast:

Already on the Gpu freezer and idling around -40 core temp, should do some damage :hehe:

Only the Mobo and adapter to come back now, and I'm ready to race :)

I'm really looking forward to this :woot:

Gray

-Acid-
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Yep, you would be under watercooling, otherwise it isn't fair for people with only aircooling. I'm in the same boat, but i won't have a cpu waterblock, just gpu.

me too cpu water cooled but gpu is cooled by air

mr_gibs
07-08-2005, 08:29 AM
i might miss the second bench cause of vacation but i don't know yet.

boshuter
07-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Well bummer :mad: my OCZ arrived wednesday but the new motherboard wasn't here when I got home from work today, guess I'm stuck running the AA8XE. The P5WD2 will be here Monday but I don't want to start this with a board I'm not familiar with. I'm still trying to decide on what cpu to use.... initially I was going to run my 571 3.8es but got a 660 3.6es last week that is a killer and the 2mb cache walks on the 3.8 in '01 and Aquamark.

=[PULSAR]=
07-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Well contest starts this Monday but you will have till the following sunday to submit your scores so you have more than enough time to figure out your board...I'm just sent in my venice today should be CA at AMD by monday sent it priorty just hope they will send me a new one fast and get replacement in my hands by friday :(

boshuter
07-08-2005, 07:31 PM
=']Well contest starts this Monday but you will have till the following sunday to submit your scores so you have more than enough time to figure out your board...I'm just sent in my venice today should be CA at AMD by monday sent it priorty just hope they will send me a new one fast and get replacement in my hands by friday :(

Good point.... I can bench every night so I should be ok.... just hope I don't pick the wrong board :eek:

Alec
07-09-2005, 12:16 AM
I really cant wait!!! :D

Is there any limit on what OS to use? 'Cause I am either gonna use 2k or xp x64 for 3d01.

Thanks,
Alec

Korpse
07-09-2005, 01:06 AM
you have to have 1 configuration for the whole set of tests afaik

boshuter
07-09-2005, 04:42 AM
I really cant wait!!! :D

Is there any limit on what OS to use? 'Cause I am either gonna use 2k or xp x64 for 3d01.

Thanks,
Alec

You can use any os you like and even change it for different benches

you have to have 1 configuration for the whole set of tests afaik

That's true for hardware...... you have to run what you started with, no changing hardware after the start

Entity_Razer
07-09-2005, 10:51 AM
boshuter's right.

one hardware config allowed, OS's can be changed all you want :)

=[PULSAR]=
07-09-2005, 05:22 PM
So is everyone excited I know I am, have groups been determined like whose going to battle who. Just want to thank saaya and troman is advance for coming up with this great idea and running the show :)

-Acid-
07-10-2005, 05:49 AM
I am well up for this mate got my p.c apart so i can check everything and get the best oc outta it :)

harleybro
07-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Till what time can I change my entry. I know I need to change ram and am just trying to decide what I will do since my FX appears to be dead. :(

boshuter
07-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Till what time can I change my entry. I know I need to change ram and am just trying to decide what I will do since my FX appears to be dead. :(

I'd imagine you would have til midnight tonight harley??? I just updated mine to inclued a motherboard that hasn't arrived yet :D It should be here tomorrow.... if the "Egg" comes through :)

Magnj
07-10-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm pumped. Gonna start bencing tonight. What kind of coling does this qualify as.
I use the Shroud and Ducting into the side of my case from my Un modded AC. Still Air Cooling?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Magnj/CIMG0544.jpg

Peen
07-10-2005, 05:27 PM
yay, new videocard will be here tommorow (monday july 11th)
but, are all the tests going to be JUST 3D tests? not good for P4's then because they kick ass in media stuff

=[PULSAR]=
07-10-2005, 05:41 PM
We should be getting what benchmark is being held this week at midnight correct???

Peen
07-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Heres my machine, forgot pic before. Its in a case right now. both same comp

mr_gibs
07-11-2005, 07:16 AM
so the competition starts today right?

Alec
07-11-2005, 07:18 AM
yep... Waiting anxiouselly for the week 1 thread to be opened :D

SDX
07-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Just put in an order for new digi cam, the Finepix F10. My old one is being evil... Pics comming soon.

Alec
07-11-2005, 07:53 AM
cool im gonna be taking my rig outa my case tonight probs and take some pics of it in "benching mode" :D

Poki
07-11-2005, 10:04 AM
saaya hasn't been on since the second of july... Maybe one of the mods should get this started?

mr_gibs
07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
yes i hope someone will start it today, i at least want to know what benchmark to start tweaking for

-Acid-
07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Saaya posted around 8.45 saying it would start in an hour or so, any news yet?

Fission
07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm gonna plant the rumor seed.

I heard from my best friend's cousins sister's boyfriend, who heard from this guy, who works for a woman who said she heard saaya say that the first week was going to be SuperPi 1MB.

My sources may not be reliable, but I will accept hardware/$$$ donations from those who think otherwise.

Fission
07-11-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm pumped. Gonna start bencing tonight. What kind of coling does this qualify as.
I use the Shroud and Ducting into the side of my case from my Un modded AC. Still Air Cooling?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Magnj/CIMG0544.jpg

Have you considered making a giant solid ball of duct tape? Overclocking is for the birds, You've found something much greater. I covered an entire couch with duct tape, looks like silver leather, and whether or not I win this competition, I have great satisfaction in having seen the fruits of 15 rolls of duct tape.

I say it still qualifies as air, but the huge amount of duct tape deserves it's own catergory in a perfect world.

saaya
07-11-2005, 01:40 PM
=']So is everyone excited I know I am, have groups been determined like whose going to battle who. Just want to thank saaya and troman is advance for coming up with this great idea and running the show :)
:bows:

I'm gonna plant the rumor seed.

I heard from my best friend's cousins sister's boyfriend, who heard from this guy, who works for a woman who said she heard saaya say that the first week was going to be SuperPi 1MB.

My sources may not be reliable, but I will accept hardware/$$$ donations from those who think otherwise.
you mean sarah? damn she cant stop talking... :rolleyes:

heh nice duct tape casemod there :p:

saaya
07-11-2005, 02:16 PM
i unstuck this thread and made a new thread for this weeks "racetrack" HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68429) :)

please use the new thread for your discussions, if there are any questions about the entire competition feel free to post here though :)

harleybro
07-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Is there gonna be any post of classes or how they will be ranked? Maybe a sticky with an ocassional update showing who is placed where? :)

gocchin
07-11-2005, 04:10 PM
And they're off!!!

I'm still standing still waiting for hardware to arrive.... then I need to figure out how these darn dothan's work ;) ;) ;)

boshuter
07-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Is there gonna be any post of classes or how they will be ranked? Maybe a sticky with an ocassional update showing who is placed where? :)

Yeah... sure be nice to know the classes so you can see how you are doing against others in the same class.

I just got my P5WD2 today so I'll have to install it tomorrow evening and do a fresh install of my os.... be a couple days before i have any results

harleybro
07-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Lol I won't have an FX till later this week and my GTX till wednesday. :)

Magnj
07-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Have you considered making a giant solid ball of duct tape? Overclocking is for the birds, You've found something much greater. I covered an entire couch with duct tape, looks like silver leather, and whether or not I win this competition, I have great satisfaction in having seen the fruits of 15 rolls of duct tape.

I say it still qualifies as air, but the huge amount of duct tape deserves it's own catergory in a perfect world.

:)
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4107778

hixie
07-12-2005, 03:29 AM
I had a try with pifast yesterday and i got a result of 7seconds..... does that sound right? Seems pretty fast.

shinymod
07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
i missed the chance to compete because i'm in canada until friday :( too bad... i would have loved to see how my results compared. maybe i'll run the benches anyway and just see where i would have ended up... :poke:

boshuter
07-12-2005, 07:37 PM
i missed the chance to compete because i'm in canada until friday :( too bad... i would have loved to see how my results compared. maybe i'll run the benches anyway and just see where i would have ended up... :poke:

You would still have had all weekend to run the bench.... lot of us are still waiting on hardware to arrive and will be lucky to have 2 days to run this first bench anyway.

shinymod
07-12-2005, 07:52 PM
yeah, trouble is i have bits of my PC with me here, (been here nearly 4 months) so i'd have to re-build and re-install (been running a different mobo and gfx over here), also i have other commitments (party + house moving) over the weekend. plus i missed the registration deadline.... unless some kind soul wants to enter me now and i'll try as hard as i can to get the first bench in by the deadline... i'll put my details up on the other thread, and if someone enters me i'd be grateful :)

shinymod
07-12-2005, 08:01 PM
ok the other thread is closed :( but if there's someone around that would add me:

nickname: Shinymod
email: james oblivion-network com

CPU: Winchester 3500+
CPU Cooling: Water
Memory: 512MB Hyper-X BH-5
Memory Cooling: none/air
Mainboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Mainboard Cooling: air
Videocard: Gigabyte X800XT
Videocard Cooling: 80W Pelt + Water

http://www.wo33er.com/staff/james/Monster%20Small%2004.jpg

ignore the RAM in that pic... that's my old OCZ PC4400

Timothy730
07-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Since im not gonna be here for 2 weeks during augest i guess i cant compete.
Guess im dropping out of the competition then :(

shinymod
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
/me grovels... i can take his place?! ;)

harleybro
07-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Maybe if you PM saaya he will allow it. :)

Peen
07-13-2005, 03:49 PM
ya same here. Maybe someone can take my spot. Not benching with a Xabre 200 lol. Thank you nVidia-Leadtek , I love you too!! :rolleyes:

=[PULSAR]=
07-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Well just got back from vacation with a voicemail from AMD sayin they got my RMA and they best they can do is trade my 3000+ venice for a 3200+ winnie :(

dippyskoodlez
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
=']Well just got back from vacation with a voicemail from AMD sayin they got my RMA and they best they can do is trade my 3000+ venice for a 3200+ winnie :(

Hmm... strange... they usually dont downgrade... you'll loose sse3 and stuff ;)

Jamo
07-15-2005, 01:39 PM
well looking at the results thread so far i dont think everyone is going to participate by the deadline, so my question is this, those who dont put in a benchmark by the time the next bench come into effect are they disqualified from the rest of the GP or do they just recieve a 0 score?

harleybro
07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Well alot have had problems with dead hw. I myself just got my new fx so will be runnin this weekend. Did some prior testing w/ a 3500+ and single 7800gtx and scored 20k. :)

boshuter
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM
well looking at the results thread so far i dont think everyone is going to participate by the deadline, so my question is this, those who dont put in a benchmark by the time the next bench come into effect are they disqualified from the rest of the GP or do they just recieve a 0 score?

I think a lot of people will bench this weekend, some just don't have time during the week. I have to install a new motherboard and get my os's installed and do all my benching this weekend. From what I understand if you don't run one of the benches you just get a 0 for that week, but you are still in the Grand Prix.

D4nnyOcean
07-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Question on hardware. I noticed that some people registered and gave memory spec as only the brand and not the amount of memory. When I registered I gave said amount of 2x512MB. Thing is at the time I had 4x512MB in the system but figured 2x512 would bench better. After running MANY :rolleyes: benches of 3dmark03 I stuffed the extra GB of ram in just to see what it would do. Well my scores went up slightly by about 50 points with 2GB total ram. So since its the same exact type of ram (OCZ EL PLatinum Rev2 PC3200) can I use the 4x512MB or am I limited to the 2x512MB that I registered with, mind you some folks never disclosed their amount of system ram. Thx.
D4nny