PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, my machine now consumes hard drives!!!!!

computerpro3
06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Well, the last 2 days have been a nightmare. My chilly1 modded phase change came in, so i took my mohterboard out to install it. I did, and it works great. So I ended up setting up my computer on a cardboard box for now because I wanted to verify everything works fine. It does for one day. Towards the end of the day, upon a cold boot, it cant find my 250GB PATA maxtor drive. So I turn it off, change cables and ide ports, clear cmos, and boom it works. Worked great till I turned my machine off for the night.

Today around noon I went to turn it on. Same crap as last night. Spent about 2 hours swapping cables, everything etc. Finally I get it recognized, but at the veryfying DMI setting screen (or whatever it is right after post) it says "error loading OS". I then noticed that the hard drive was VERY hot, and It wasnt spinning up.

So I go to swap hard drives. I pop in a 120GB maxtor from an old install. It works fine, tries to load into windows but then since it came from an old HP it started setup. Not wanting to reinstall yet, i swapped it out. It was in for maybe 5min total.

Next I tried my old WD 80GB pata drive, from a previous install of this system. I tried holding it in my hand this time, figuring maybe vibrations from the phase change compressor was screwing it up. It gets recognized in bios, same error loading os. Then, the machine reboots, I hear and FEEL a "thunk" and the hard drive stops spinning. Then, I dropped the drive onto the desk because it got BURNING hot right where my finger was. I immediatley cut power.

This is on the machine in my sig. What is going on? 2 dead hard drives in one day? There are no shorts since the pc is not in a case. My power supply is the best on the market. I honestly cannot think of anything that could cause this.

Anyone have a theory? I'm afraid to go hook up my next best hard drive (80GB maxtor) in case it dies. Then I'd be stuck with a 10GB seagate......

Thanks

Major_A
06-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Here is my theory, could be way off, never used Phase Change or the likes....

Have you ever overclocked too far and Windows refuses to boot saying a file is corrupt? Maybe because the chip is running so cold it is having problems immediately. Try unhooking the Phase Change unit and booting normally and see what happens.

Like I said I don't know but might be worth a shot.

IYP
06-12-2005, 06:45 AM
sounds like a PSU problem...? maby something with your MoBo bios telling the HDs to do naughty things....or windows could be corrupted and your computer is confused?