PDA

View Full Version : Um... New to T.E.C. Cooling... Need some help/suggestions with the setup. Thx

j@cko
12-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Hello, I am thinking to upgrade to a TEC setup from my air cooling setup. But I am just wondering will it improve the noise all that much? I only have the CPU fan (running at 2700rpm) running and it's pretty quiet I think. The only thing is that bugging me is the HDDs.
However, I also want to do some overclocking, so I am guessing that T.E.C. is a much better solution for overclocking than air cooling and it offers better overclocking/quietness ratio. Plz correct me if I am wrong.
Anyway, um.. here's the setup...
I have my eyes onThis waterblock/TEC (http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw462.asp)
But else would I need? I know that I will need an extra power suuply. By the way, does that PS go into the 5'25 Bay? Or it is placed out side of the case?
What do I need for other parts? Um... any suggestions?

Thanks

Jack

OPPAINTER
12-15-2002, 10:10 PM
As far as noise it can be as loud as your fan for your radiator, this is the only noise you'll have. It may be loud or quiet depending on power of your Rad fan, more power better cooling.

If your talking about the PSU at Swiftech then yes it will fit in a 5" bay.

You need a radiator, block/pelt, pump, maybe a resivoir or you could go closed loop, Swiftech style.

OPP

j@cko
12-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Hello OPP, when you referred to having a resivoir or a closed loop (Swiftech style), what is the main difference b/w them?
Does having a resivoir mean that you can change the water/liquid? and having a closed loop, you cannot?
Another question.... What are other liquid that I can use besides water?

Thx

OPPAINTER
12-15-2002, 10:43 PM
With a closed loop you would use a fill and bleed kit. You run the liquid through the loop from a bucket or somthing and when it has no air in the loop you close the valves and your done. Fill and Bleed (http://www.swiftnets.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=162)

With a resivoir, you have a container that holds liquid all the time and the loop runs through it, this assures you that no air gets in the line, as it bleeds the loop all the time. The bummer is, it takes up more space and there is a slight risk that it may leak if you were to turn the case on it's side or somthing.

I don't what they use these days, but It will be water and a tad of somthing else to keep the water from getting all sluggy, and the additive will also protect against corosion, I use to use Water Wetter, they have other stuff now, but the main ingrediant of your Liquid loop is water.

OPP

Shroomer
12-16-2002, 12:04 AM
OPP what are your thought's on alchohol in a closed or closed tank rez water system ?

saaya
12-17-2002, 05:22 PM
youd need a special hose for it, because it will eat through a normal hose in some weeks. and i dont know if it might damage the plastic parts of your pump as well....

depending on what alcohol you use it would work like a phase change cooler....

KnightElite
12-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Alcohol works fine, but is not needed unless you're planning on using a water chiller. If you use tygon tubing, it should be fine.