PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to become an xtreme bencher?

shuRe
06-02-2005, 05:15 AM
I was reading the thread about macci going to ATI and o/cing the new cards, and started to wonder what it would take to become a legend like him and others.

Other than having extreme cooling, knowledge of hardware mods, windows tweaks and driver tweaks what does it take? or if any of you care to elaborate on the above it would be appreciated.

M.Beier
06-02-2005, 05:24 AM
Tallent, financial, lots of time. :)

It requires a major knowledge / tallent in tweaking and knowing whats wrong and not good enough with the setup...

Lots of money to buy newest gear + wasting lots... - All that VMODDING and xtreme cooling kills lots of hardware...

And he bet he makes a fresh wininstall etc. every single time he bench's ;) - Which takes time as well... Doing all tweaks also takes quite long time ;)

But... Its very few that gets sponsed... We got quite some benchers in Denmark, and... No one of them got a regulair sponsor I think: Gomer pyle / Lars / Tom H / SIOX etc. ;)

As well I know many of the "hotshots" on the international stage aint getting sponsed either... - One of them is a current WR holder on futuremark ;)

BTW: A good start, get WR in your class in CPU or GFX, get your nick known and well respected :)

IFMU
06-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Think what he said pretty much covered it. However I dont think he emphisized the amount of money that it does take to be able to reach some of those outstanding records some of these guys make. Having to continuously buy the latest and greatest is very expensive.
Otherwise hes covered it.

skate2snow
06-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Although he pretty much answered the question, its like asking an hockey player how he is a star?

Kunaak
06-02-2005, 06:23 PM
persistance, patience, and in a way, charisma...

I have seen great benchmarkers, that people just can't stand, cause they are just mean to people, and rude, and condescending.
people that stand out, don't have that trait really.

strange, but true.
if you wanna be a known, and respected benchmarker that is.