PDA

View Full Version : Air flow

Smizack
04-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Ok, got an air flow - pos/neg pressure question.

I'm gonna have all the fans on 12v. so it ought to be kinda simple. Except the psu fan. I don't know if it's on 5 or 12 yet. (I haven't powered it up)

But anyway. I'm gonna have 2 80's blowing out and 2 80's and a 120 sucknig in. And one of the suck-in 80's in gonna be the psu.

So is that too much positive pressure or just right or what?

Oh yeah, BTW JBell. I dont' need to borrow your hole saw. I just used some cutters. It worked good I just had to tighten it up a bit so it made a cleaner cut.;)

JBELL
04-25-2002, 07:55 PM
DUDE I MAILED IT YESTERDAY!!!!!

As for air pressure *calms down* leave the PSU blowing out NOT sucking in!!!

creating positive air pressure will create extra dust as you force more air in and it has harder time escaping - by setting up with negative pressure think of it as a vacume it will suck dust and other goodies out of the case.....

*still pissed*

Smizack
04-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JBell
DUDE I MAILED IT YESTERDAY!!!!!

Don't worry I'll find something to drill! hehe;)

As for air pressure *calms down* leave the PSU blowing out NOT sucking in!!!

Why not? It's gonna be right in front of an A/C all summer. So I thought it would be a good thing.

creating positive air pressure will create extra dust as you force more air in and it has harder time escaping - by setting up with negative pressure think of it as a vacume it will suck dust and other goodies out of the case.....

*still pissed*

Ok, what about turning around the front 80 so that I have 3 80's pulling out and 1 80 and 1 120 sucking in?

And if it will make ya feel better, I'll send some amd stickers back with ya!;)

JBELL
04-25-2002, 08:37 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not? It's gonna be right in front of an A/C all summer. So I thought it would be a good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becuase you do not want to suck outside debris INTO your power supply!!!!! EVER!!!

quote:

Ok, what about turning around the front 80 so that I have 3 80's pulling out and 1 80 and 1 120 sucking in?

And if it will make ya feel better, I'll send some amd stickers back with ya!

no you need some clean air drawn in - from as low as possible BECUASE cold air always sits on the bottom..... (heat rises) so set your fans in back to blow and the ones up front to suck.and set the 120 (if on top to blow) if on side panel by pci cards then have it suck in........ and get a blow hole installed if you don't do a blowhole it wont kill you - a lot of people see advantages by possitive air over negative... negative works better for me right now....
Thanks for the stickers!

Joe

Smizack
04-25-2002, 08:45 PM
quote:

Becuase you do not want to suck outside debris INTO your power supply!!!!! EVER!!!

quote:

And if it will make ya feel better, I'll send some amd stickers back with ya!

no you need some clean air drawn in - from as low as possible BECUASE cold air always sits on the bottom..... (heat rises) so set your fans in back to blow and the ones up front to suck.and set the 120 (if on top to blow) if on side panel by pci cards then have it suck in........ and get a blow hole installed if you don't do a blowhole it wont kill you - a lot of people see advantages by possitive air over negative... negative works better for me right now....
Thanks for the stickers!

Joe

Ooooo k. I'll turn it back around.... Sheesh! hehehe
The 120 is in the back, a little below the psu. I gotta have that one suckin in. But that's a good idea anyway. I need to try Negative, and see how it works. I've always used positive before.

Thanks man.

BTW. On my comp right now the psu is sucking. I haven't had a problem with it set up like that yet, but I see your point.

Smizack
04-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Hey man. I got it today. I'll get it back to ya soon with your case badges. What all do you want? I got 2 or 3 XP's and a lot of athalon and durons.

JBELL
04-27-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
Hey man. I got it today. I'll get it back to ya soon with your case badges. What all do you want? I got 2 or 3 XP's and a lot of athalon and durons.

couple of the xp and athlon

as I will eventually have 4 rigs running....

thanks bro!

BTW is it a nice holesaw?? LMAO

Smizack
04-28-2002, 09:30 PM

couple of the xp and athlon

as I will eventually have 4 rigs running....

thanks bro!

BTW is it a nice holesaw?? LMAO

Hell yeah it is!

Now I wish I would have waited. What did that thing cost ya?
Is that what you used on your blowhole?

JBELL
04-28-2002, 09:45 PM

Hell yeah it is!

Now I wish I would have waited. What did that thing cost ya?
Is that what you used on your blowhole?

yes that is the one and it cost like 20 bucks ... but I bought it as a group deal - tailed 120mm fan with grills and holesaw and rubber molding for $50 bucks

Smizack
04-29-2002, 09:02 AM

yes that is the one and it cost like 20 bucks ... but I bought it as a group deal - tailed 120mm fan with grills and holesaw and rubber molding for $50 bucks

$20 is a good deal for that. It looks like it costs around $45.

JBELL
04-29-2002, 10:14 AM

$20 is a good deal for that. It looks like it costs around $45.

that was a guess honestly cuase I don't truly remember

Smizack
04-29-2002, 10:43 AM

that was a guess honestly cuase I don't truly remember

Well, they arrn't cheap. At least not here. I think an 80mm. or 92. don't remember, was $37 and it was a pretty generic looking one at that.

JBELL
04-29-2002, 10:45 AM
120MM Holesaw (http://www.caseetc.com/cgi-bin/caseetc/T-019.html)

Smizack
04-29-2002, 10:47 AM
120MM Holesaw (http://www.caseetc.com/cgi-bin/caseetc/T-019.html)

Then add another $10 for the drill and clamp.

JBELL
04-29-2002, 11:01 AM

Then add another $10 for the drill and clamp.

still not a bad price - good thing to buy - never know when you need one.

Smizack
04-29-2002, 11:09 AM

still not a bad price - good thing to buy - never know when you need one.

Yeah it is. Much cheaper than anywhere around here.

oc jason
04-30-2002, 08:27 PM
just add up the cfm for each fan and make it as equal as possible

equal= yatta cooling