PDA

View Full Version : Best Memory for This MoBo

Him
05-30-2005, 06:12 AM
I just ordered the ABit IC7-G MAXII and it should be here in a day or two. I absolutely cannot wait! Anyway, I am going to order some memory for it next. For <200, what is the best possible memory I can get for this? I am going to be overclocking, and I want balls out power and rock stability. I want the G Skill LA's but they are a bit expensive. So for less than 200, what are the best sticks I cant get? I want a GB of DDR PC3200.
Thanks

Crankster
05-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Wrong section.

Wiggy McShades
05-30-2005, 10:15 AM
well if your going to be overclocking id sugest getting some pc4400 it dont really matter if it can run at 2-2-2-5 timmings or what type of mem chips it uses becuase pentium 4's dont benifit that much from tighter timmings and because your on a budget it seems i dont think you are looking for minimal increases for alot of extra cost.

something like this would probally do well (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144320)

mcnbns
05-30-2005, 10:29 AM
...pentium 4's dont benifit that much from tighter timmings
:rolleyes: That is a myth. Tighter timings always help, and not just with AMD CPUs. The reason people believe the P4 timings myth is that you usually need high speed RAM (which often comes at the cost of high latency) to keep the FSB and RAM 1:1 when overclocking the Pentium 4. As a result of everyone using such RAM, people began thinking that latencies did not matter on Pentium 4 CPUs. :slap:

With that said, yes, some high speed RAM would be ideal for a Pentium 4 rig. People seem to be getting pretty decent results with Samsung TCCD-based RAM on P4 rigs, so look into that.

Oh, and make sure to post this in the right section next time. :)

calcal
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
ocz pc3200 rev 2 plat

Him
05-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Apologies for not posting in the right thread, thought this was the right one, but apparently I was wrong. If a mod comes to this, could you so kindly move it the proper section?

As for the ram, I should get some high speed stuff and OC my board to meet those requirements?

Spanners
05-30-2005, 05:15 PM
What proc are you going to be using ? this may influence your ability to run 1:1 more than your ram choice eg: If you had a 3.2c say 230-240 1:1 may be your limit and low latency ram may be a better choice , a 2.4c or a 2.8E would give you a better chance at a 250+ 1:1

x3ro
05-30-2005, 09:24 PM
I'd go for GeIL or OCZ... Or maybe some mushkin..

cirthix
05-30-2005, 09:31 PM
get cheap ram, use a divider, get a better vid card. seriously though, if you want our help, you gotta list your whole setup.

Him
05-31-2005, 05:02 AM
All apologies, all around. I'm starting to make my way up into the serious 1337 section of computers, hence my new registration at this wonderful forum. ;)

Right now I have the ABit IC-7 MAXII, and an eVGA 6600GT 128MB GDDR3. I also using an Intel Pentium4 2.4ghz Prescott 533FSB 1mb CACHE. I am slowly building up my new system, one part per paycheck per week. I ordered the MoBo and it should be here tomorry or the day after. I next get to get my RAM, which is going to be sweet. Thinking that GeIL, not sure though. Hope thats enough information. I'm on a budget with the memory (200, like I said) but I still want all out performance. I am going to build a killer h20 setup with this thing, including a TEC (:)) it's going to be faaaast! Think of it like this... You have the parts I have, you have $200 to spend on RAM, which stuff would you get?

mcnbns
05-31-2005, 07:14 AM
I recommend not using a pelt if this is your first water cooling setup. Take it slowly to make sure nothing happens. I don't care how much research you've done-- if this is your first setup, keep it simple. :)

I really hate seeing someone screw up their first H2O rig and then never trying again. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun, though. :toast:

Him
05-31-2005, 07:32 AM
Oh, i plan of having tons of fun! This isnt my first H20 setup, I currently have one going on. It's a cheapy, though. Thermaltake Aquarius II. I get 107F at idle! Thats too damn hot for an h20 setup.
I ordered an oil radiator from a 1986 Chevrolet Chevette to use as my rad, and I am going to do the majority of buying for the rest of my peices from Dangerden as they have some killer stuff there. I still have decided on a block, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. ;)

I'm not the kind of person to be driven away from somethign because of one bad experience. It is a curse sometimes, but it's good at other times. :toast:

Him
06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
So i think I have decided to go with these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146845

What do we think? I also got the OCZ DDR Booster.