PDA

View Full Version : changing chipsets - reformat needed?

fatfreepork
05-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi i am upgrading one of my rigs from nForce 2 to nForce3. will a format be required?

From my experiences:

Socket A Via - nForce2 required format
nForce2 - nForce2 ultra no format needed.

koei
05-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Hard to say, but I am thiking probably not, but I had to format too when I started using nForce2 boards while back.

easypanic
05-28-2005, 10:51 PM
No format needed normally for every day use, for benching I suggest you format ;)

Major_A
05-28-2005, 11:54 PM
If you do have to reformat, insert the XP disc and select the Repair installation.

Alaza
05-29-2005, 12:51 AM
I would do it. I remember going from a AMD671 to nForce2 with a couple of BSoD a day.

EMC2
05-29-2005, 04:27 AM
For regular systems have always been able to avoid a reformat. While still hooked to your original system create a folder and copy all the drivers you need for your new system to it, boot into safe mode, go to device manager, delete all devices, shutdown system, transfer HD to new system, boot up and when it finds a new device it doesn't already have a driver for, point it to the folder you created with them in it ;)

Peace :toast:

mcnbns
05-29-2005, 05:15 AM
I always completely reformat when I install. I haven't had very good experiences with XP's repair install function. I just back up my documents and stuff and remember the progs I need to re-download and re-install. I've done it so many times I've got it down to a science. :)

But, if you can manage to get everything working properly without formatting C:\, more power to you. :)

fatfreepork
05-29-2005, 04:27 PM
For regular systems have always been able to avoid a reformat. While still hooked to your original system create a folder and copy all the drivers you need for your new system to it, boot into safe mode, go to device manager, delete all devices, shutdown system, transfer HD to new system, boot up and when it finds a new device it doesn't already have a driver for, point it to the folder you created with them in it ;)

Peace :toast:

kk thanks!

Badge56
05-29-2005, 04:39 PM
I have been running my same Windows installation for 3 years. I change mainboards at least 2 times a years. Have used VIA and NForce.

The trick I use to be sure, is to go to control panel system and uninstall all the hardware I can that is related to the mobo. Even if I am not sure, uninstall them.. More is better than less :-)

Then close the computer and change the motherboard. Reboot in to safe mode and some of the devices will install. Then I install all the newer drivers and reboot normally. Have never had any major problems and I bench all the time.

Oh!! Go to installed programs and uninstall any chipset drivers that may be there... before the mainboard change. :slobber:

i found nemo
05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
i say just do a fresh re-partitioning switch file system to ntfs, and you'll be fine, last time i din't re-install fresh copy my computer jumped like crazy