PDA

View Full Version : BIX.. how much cfm is enough ?

harpyboy
05-28-2005, 12:47 PM
first post in liquid cooling... hi guys!

I am currently using a Delta Tri-blade with the BIX sucking air into the case.. capable of 120+cfm ... i don't really mind the noise but it seems that at max and middle voltage the temp doesn't change much....

so.. which 120mm fan are you guys using for your single 120mm radiator ?

how much cfm is enough ?

if 50cfm is good enough...im think to get a 120mmx25mm to ease the look of my case...

winston64
05-28-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm using a 120mm sunon with 105cfm i think it is...

how much is enough... it is never enough here at XS :ROTF:

MaxxxRacer
05-28-2005, 02:34 PM
There is no spot that is "enough" as every system needs a different amount of cooling to keep it within reasonable temps.

but with that said a 38mm 100cfm fan at 7 volts does plenty to keep the water cool.

here is the thing though. the actual cfm going through the fan is way way way less than the rating of the fan. so how much cfm u need going through the radiator is totally unknown to pretty much all of us.

another thing to take into acccount is that its not just a bout CFM. u need static pressure as the BIX is a thick radiator. and for that u need a 38mm fan like hte tri blade ur using. so the minimum i would suggest to run at 12 volts is a 70CFM 38mm fan.

shadowing
05-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Panaflo M1A would be good for radiator application.

Btw, you should get a voltage regulator thingy to run it at 7 volts. Basically, any Panaflo fans above 70CFM at 7 volts will do you well.

harpyboy
05-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Panaflo M1A would be good for radiator application.

Btw, you should get a voltage regulator thingy to run it at 7 volts. Basically, any Panaflo fans above 70CFM at 7 volts will do you well.

thx for the input guys... im using a rheostat ...
like i said... having it full blast at 120cfm and having it half around 7V gives me little to no benefits... so i kindda disagree here (IMHO) that more is always better in this case...... no matter how much air is going thru the rad there is sure to be a point where the room temp air is not going to cool the rad anymore....

from these replies... i guess something like 50cfm should be enough rite? (100cfm fan at 7v = around 50-70cfm rated) .....

thx thx

MaxxxRacer
05-28-2005, 04:09 PM
well there is a point when more airflow wont help u, but 120mm fan from 7volts to 12volts is not the point at which the rad looses usefullnes.

i tested this with the BIX2 with the sanyo denkis. with a 1.95volt palomino running full load and i increased the fan voltage from 7 to 12volts the water temperature went down about 3F. nothing incredibly significant, but there is a decent change in temps.

harpyboy
05-28-2005, 06:08 PM
i got ur point :)

mcbarnet007
05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
as long as your rad is couple degree within ambient you don't need all the fan power