PDA

View Full Version : Major help needed (plz)

Chris0288
05-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Not sure what this comes under as Im not sure what the problem is, basicly this all started a while ago when one of my Maxtor HD's died, the computer was working fine to a point then it started randomly restarting so I turned off the auto restart option so it would give me a blue screen instead to try to find out why it was doing it, the errors it gives are just STOP 0X000...etc things that i dont understand and it changes usually everytime.

So as it went on it got worse and worse, random crashes that I could never tell when they were going to happen, so I decided yesterday to repair XP, once I tried that it installed etc then went to start XP and said there was a problem with ntfs.sys and kept saying windows has detected a problem and shut down the computer, I couldnt get into windows atall, so I formatted...same problem.

I took a wild stab at it and took a stick of ram out and wobled the graphics card a bit, and it booted to windows.....weird, so I thought Id sorted it, just a fault stick of ram, but while av been trying to install stuff back on it its crashed twice blaming a device driver doing that blue screen thing again, not as frequent but it has done it so evidently the format hasnt worked, I think it might be my radeon but I dont know how to check as I dont have anyother cards about, any ideas?

Specs are:
A64 3200
Asus K8V Deluxe
1GB Mushkin level 2 PC3500 (only 1 512mb stick in just now)
Radeon 9700pro with newest cats (5.5 i think)
Audigy 1
Maxtor 80GB HD
WinXP Home

anyother info Ill be happy to provide if anyone can help, Im at my wits end here honestly about to throw it out the window.

masterofpuppets
05-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Get a cheap PCI graphics card and test with that. It could be your graphics card. Although, if it mentions NTFS, I would suspect a corrupted filesystem, or yet another dead HDD.

[XC] Duc
05-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Can be anything...

Dead HDD (or almost), bad RAM, bad diskdrive, bad connection cable, you name it... even a scratched installation cd can have some stupid effects...

Try installing with minimum components and replace components one by one if that doesn't work either... (I'm sure you have a friend who can help you out with some spare parts for testing if needed)

Ps: If you get a bluescreen with some numbers like 0x000... etc, try Google with those numbers... big chance you'll get some valuable info on the exact error ;)

G H Z
05-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Does it boot into Safe Mode alright? If you can do this a few times alright then it is probably not a hardware problem. If your overclocking it at all don't. Reset everything back to defaults and then do some troubleshooting. Look in the Event viewer and see if anything stands out, specifically errors indicated by a red X.

gillll
05-30-2005, 08:15 PM
first thing is give the bsod detailes (u said u got several ones)

2nd is prob your hd is fuxxed logically or really

and 3rd and most important is xp repairing.................... not good @ all

zoob
05-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Try underclocking your RAM.

My buddy's 3000+ Newcastle had a memory controller dump. It used to do Generic 2x512MB BT-D43 DDR400-1T just fine, but then it exploded and can only run them at DDR333-1T. It didn't even like my OCZ 3500EB 2x512.. it was a really weird problem that took me a while to diagnose. It was fine DDR400 with one stick of any 512MB DDR400 I tossed in it.