PDA

View Full Version : PCP&C 52cfm/43db fan, can it safely be replaced?

euclid
05-24-2005, 08:23 AM
hi, i just got the 510sli, this delta fan is rated at 52cfm and a whopping 43db.

ideally id like to replace it with thermaltake silentcat which is 31cfm and only 21db. but i am worried this will affect the performance of the psu, has anyone replaced the fan?

edit: i read that the original fan for this psu was much quiter, but pcp&c switched to this which is alot louder. i dont know if there were problems with the old one or if it was just a supply/availabilty issue.

Dave in Daytona
05-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Contact PC P&C for a replacement to keep your 5yr warranty in tact.

Also they don't get too loud unless the case needs additional cooling.

comment
06-01-2005, 05:08 AM
hi, i just got the 510sli, this delta fan is rated at 52cfm and a whopping 43db.

ideally id like to replace it with thermaltake silentcat which is 31cfm and only 21db. but i am worried this will affect the performance of the psu, has anyone replaced the fan?

edit: i read that the original fan for this psu was much quiter, but pcp&c switched to this which is alot louder. i dont know if there were problems with the old one or if it was just a supply/availabilty issue.The stock Delta fan is not exactly what you would describe as a noise killah fan, I agree.

I did a small heat test over at Extreme Prometeia using both the stock fan and a NMT2 temperature regulated 26dB(A) (26CFM) Papst fan. You can find the results here (http://www.extremeprometeia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14657&highlight=nmt2#post14657).

Please mind my cautionary note at the bottom.

Good luck :toast:

/comment

PS: At the moment I'm using a 26dB(A) 26CFM Papst fan without the NMT2 temperature regulation attached. Right now (idle) the temperature of the air coming out of the PSU is sitting at app. 41C. Ambient temperature at app. 24C. Case temperature: No idea, sorry.

Dave in Daytona
06-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey, got a reply from PCP&C about swapping the fan out for a quieter one:

"Its not quite that simple. The fan circuit in the supply responds to load by
monitoring the temperature of the power diodes. It is critical to the
reliability of the power supply that this balance not be tampered with...
Sorry, but this is not easily changed and it would void the power supply
warranty."

:(
From: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=172199

comment
06-01-2005, 07:33 AM
From: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=172199Nice info :)

Linky not working though - would you mind fixing it?

/comment

Dave in Daytona
06-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Nice info :)

Linky not working though - would you mind fixing it?

/commentIt appears the thread was deleted. :confused:

comment
06-02-2005, 03:17 AM
It appears the thread was deleted. :confused:Too bad...

BTW: I've just tested the stock Delta fan again giving it a few drops of oil before inserting it, and that seems to have taken away some of the whining - at idle that is. I haven’t tested at load yet.

/comment