PDA

View Full Version : How to overcome PSU OVP?

HKPolice
05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
If I cut the 3.3v sense wire, would that disable the OVP circuit in the PSU? I want to run 3.7v but PSU cuts out around 3.6v... argh

Poly15
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
What kinda of PSU you have?

HKPolice
05-23-2005, 03:58 PM
OCZ 600watt

craig588
05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Cutting the sense wire would just disable any vmods on it from working. You are going to have to follow the traces on the PSUs board and find where the 3.3 line connects to things inside of it. Look up any chips that you can find it going into. If none of them apprear to be releated to voltage control you might need to try somthing crazy like randomly cutting traces that connect the 3.3 lines to chips inside of it and adding large resistors in their place. If at one point you find that you can take the 3.3 line much higher than you know what line needs to be modded and you can post it up for everyone else.

There always needs to be someone daring to try something first.

HKPolice
05-24-2005, 05:40 AM
But I have an OCZ 600Watt which already has adjustable pots built in, so there is no 'sense wire mod'. Would cutting the wire still disable the adjustable pots from working?

Cutting the sense wire would just disable any vmods on it from working. You are going to have to follow the traces on the PSUs board and find where the 3.3 line connects to things inside of it. Look up any chips that you can find it going into. If none of them apprear to be releated to voltage control you might need to try somthing crazy like randomly cutting traces that connect the 3.3 lines to chips inside of it and adding large resistors in their place. If at one point you find that you can take the 3.3 line much higher than you know what line needs to be modded and you can post it up for everyone else.

There always needs to be someone daring to try something first.

craig588
05-24-2005, 02:59 PM
The built in varistors are essentially the same thing as a sense wire mod, just fancier looking.

Snark42
05-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Do you have SATA HDD's? and are you using the SATA power connectors (the ones with an orrange wire), or are you using the molex, or the molex-sata power adapter?

Tyr not to have them in contact with any orange wire as they may be what it cutting out on you (?)