PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have a PSP?

scrible88
05-23-2005, 07:14 AM
I bought one yesterday. Its the first console I've ever purchased. I am in love with it. It is an amazing little device that will only get better with time. I cannot wait until Grand Theft Auto is out for it! The only game I have right now is Need for Speed Underground. I also have the Spiderman 2 UMD that came as an extra with the PSP.

Jester FPS
05-23-2005, 07:56 AM
I haven't yet opened mine, I got it for free from freepsps.com. I'm waiting for them to crack the firmware so I can load my SNES games on it!

Earthbound on the PSP = :woot:

scrible88
05-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I haven't yet opened mine, I got it for free from freepsps.com. I'm waiting for them to crack the firmware so I can load my SNES games on it!

Earthbound on the PSP = :woot:

ygpm ;)

KoolDrew
05-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I was never really into handhelds, but I do admit the PSP looks very impressive. I just can't afford one right now.

Disposibleteen
05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
looks cool, im a little afraid to get one with the dead pixel problem and all.

perry_78
05-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Hmm, I just clicked the link for freepsps lets see about that.

I'm buying one off importmadness.co.uk, great price :)

KoolDrew
05-24-2005, 12:21 PM
That free PSP site is the same one as those ipod ones. They do work for a lot of people, but I don't have a credit card so I can only do them when they have offers that don't require one which is not often.

viccyran
05-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I bought one yesterday. Its the first console I've ever purchased. I am in love with it. It is an amazing little device that will only get better with time. I cannot wait until Grand Theft Auto is out for it! The only game I have right now is Need for Speed Underground. I also have the Spiderman 2 UMD that came as an extra with the PSP.
NFSU.. Get Ridge Racer, it's great.

I have that and Hot Shots Golf. Both games are great. Waiting for emu's for GBA/SNES.. :]

Dark79
05-24-2005, 07:05 PM
I had one for about a month. After finally getting one with a pixel perfect screen, I thought I was set. Then I started noticing that the square button didn't always register. I figure it's because they didn't fix the fact that the contact on the board was off center (they have a weird shaped square button instead). But that didn't bother me too much... until the thumbstick started going bad. In the middle of turns on Wipeout Pure, even the stick pushed all the way to one side, it would stop registering that I was turning and bash right into a wall. At about the same time I noticed the wifi wouldn't not consistantly detect or connect to my wireless network.

What made me finally take it back? While playing Wipeout Pure the game would lock up hard. I had to pull the battery to get it to turn off. Then when I powered it back on, it wouldn't get past the PSP boot screen.

I was lucky I bought it at Target where they give you 90-days to do a return since I was already one week past the regular 30-day period. I'm really tired of Sony's shoddy manufacturing and even lamer customer service. I was just getting over the fact that my cybershot recently died for no apparent reason a little after a year of owning it (just outside the 1-yr warranty period).

I won't buy another one until the next revision comes out and even then I'll make sure I get it somewhere that sells a replacement plan. It seems like the only way to make a good investment out of a Sony purchase these days.

Dark79
05-24-2005, 07:09 PM
NFSU.. Get Ridge Racer, it's great.

I have that and Hot Shots Golf. Both games are great. Waiting for emu's for GBA/SNES.. :]

Someone's going to have to crack the encryption to be able to play emu's on the PSP. Not like that will matter because Sony will just force an update on PSP users once someone does. They're already making sure games released in Japan check for the latest firmware. If it's not there, they won't work.

Firmware update 1.51 was recently released here. The info on it is that it "patches exploits" but I have a feeling it just adds more security against homebrew games.

I used to own a Sony PDA so this really isn't surprising to me since it's the same people responsible. Everytime someone found a neat, new way to use the hardware, Sony would mess it up.

viccyran
05-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Someone's going to have to crack the encryption to be able to play emu's on the PSP. Not like that will matter because Sony will just force an update on PSP users once someone does. They're already making sure games released in Japan check for the latest firmware. If it's not there, they won't work.

Firmware update 1.51 was recently released here. The info on it is that it "patches exploits" but I have a feeling it just adds more security against homebrew games.

I used to own a Sony PDA so this really isn't surprising to me since it's the same people responsible. Everytime someone found a neat, new way to use the hardware, Sony would mess it up.
Just like hackers and microsoft, it's only time. There is a big article on wheither sony will eventually let homebrew grow, it's for the sake of the PSP. Letting them slide will only up sales, and it's not like because I play gba emu's I'd stop buying psp games.

Boo @ sony :(

pablo
05-27-2005, 08:59 AM
the psp is a crazy little device lol

perry_78
05-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Sounds like something out of Stephen Kings book "Needfull Things". Everything seems cheap but comes at a nerve shattering price :(

trance565
05-28-2005, 06:24 PM
lol, m brother goes to those sites all the time, he will sign up for an offer then cancel immediatley, he got one of those new gameboy things, ima get him to get me a psp :) its free, lol all u gotta do is cancel and u get nomoney charged to u

Jester FPS
05-28-2005, 09:50 PM
lol, m brother goes to those sites all the time, he will sign up for an offer then cancel immediatley, he got one of those new gameboy things, ima get him to get me a psp :) its free, lol all u gotta do is cancel and u get nomoney charged to u

Yeah, if any of you guys are interested in getting into the whole freebie scene, please check out anything4free.com and it's forums. a whole lata good stuff there :banana:

Skip
05-29-2005, 05:46 PM
i got one for graduation.

Den Leiw
06-17-2005, 08:25 AM
got a brand new psp imported from Japan for 300 €
(no games cam with it though, it was the Value Pack, the vendor upgraded the firmware to 1.50 for multilanguage for free)

bought wipeout pure for 50€ so 350€ all in all

100€ more than if I would wait until september but it s always worth it

I dont like PAL games/console

but I gotta say I like my psp, running all those homebrew stuff on it... really cool

clayton
06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
My PSP gives me headache for some reason :( samething to all those handheld products.
________
BUY ROOR BONGS (http://glassbongs.org/)

Dark79
06-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I had one for a little over a month. Started having a new problem everyweek until the darn thing wouldn't boot. Luckily I bought it at target so I could return it within 90 days. I've dealt with Sony and their warranties, it's generally not worth the hassle.

Seems to be the norm with Sony products, the lemons seems to be an unacceptably high percentage, but there's always the chance you'll get a keeper (shouldn't this be the other way around). My brother bought 3, one for him and 1 for each of his two boys. 1 is fine, 1 developed dead pixels, and the other had a speaker blow out. $250 is a bit steep to pay for one that has problems, IMO

I'm not interested in getting another one until they release a new revision but at the same time I'm worried that a new revision would also have some added homebrew protection scheme as well as hardware fixes.

trance565
06-18-2005, 12:20 PM
my friend is buying me one on monday .... free of charge

jason32287
06-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I forgot to say that yes i do have one and a DS. My brother has a PSP also.

The games i have for my PSP are Lumines, Twisted Metal: Head on, and NFSU Rivals.

How is that Lumines game. I'm thinking of getting it.

strung0utst0nedguy
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
i bought my psp just two days ago my uncle (chilly1) boguth me rengoku i bought untold legends i was wondering do u have to be in a certain range to use wifi on those games and if u havent palyed rengoku and read some of the reveiws that say it sux there wrong rengoku is a good game i want to play it pvp and i want to get untold legends multiplayer to i dont like to play games alone i hate one player games mmorpgs for life

Jayw28
07-04-2005, 01:39 PM
mmmm PSP..... seeing everyone with that thing these days makes me wanna splurge

geoff2k
07-04-2005, 05:45 PM
FYI, check out ps2nfo.com for information on how to run homebrew stuff (emulators, etc.) on the PSP. I've had mine since the launch, definitely a Lumines addict, but Wipeout Pure has also claimed a fair amount of my time...

mcnbns
07-10-2005, 05:45 PM
I just ordered my PSP today. :D

It was the bundle with Wayne Gretzky something and a Spider Man 2 UMD. The price in CAD is $299 just for the player regularly, and the bundle is $349, but I got the bundle on sale for $299. I don't really care about the free game, but I couldn't resist.

I've also got a bunch of old SNES ROMS waiting to be put on my PSP and emulated. :woot:

I'll take some pics and tell you guys how it works out. :banana:

Philly_Boy
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
I've owned a PSP since it launched in March. It's pretty cool! I've completed a handful of games....NFSU Rivals, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure...plus I've watched lots of movies on it. It has decent video quality for both games and video, and the fact that you can transcode DVD's and put the on a memory stick and play them on the PSP makes it even more versatile. My only complaint is the headphones that came bundled with it really do suck! Other than that....I am waiting for a decent FPS to come out, and Grand Turismo 4. I rented Code of Arms but found the game play to be a bit sloppy and obtuse. As we make our way towards the holiday selling season I think we'll see much better games come out. It usually takes awhile for the programmers to wreak out the best that the hardware can offer. All-n-all I think this one's a winner!

~Philly~