PDA

View Full Version : Ability to install Win2k Pro without messing up XP?

Alec
05-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Guys,
I know for a fact that if you install windows 2000 pro on a second partition (whereas your first partition has windows XP on), the install will go fine but when installed you cannot run windows XP because it says there are corrupt files.

I was wondering if any of you guys know how to fix the "broken" windows XP copy or maybe allow 2000 to be installed but not cause this error?

Thanks in advance,
Alec

IamAnoobieCheez
05-21-2005, 11:31 PM
There is no fix. Not only this applies to win98+win2k but also applies to other windows versions. An older OS will overwrite the boot sector files on newer OS therefore unable to load windows. Whether you install winXP in first or second partion it will still be overwritten by older OS.

you will have to run *repair install* to fix the boot sector files for the new OS. If you use emergency repair diskettes it will not require you to enter the CD Key and usually is faster to fix. If not, run the CD to repair it.

winston64
05-29-2005, 06:44 PM
you will have to run *repair install* to fix the boot sector files for the new OS. If you use emergency repair diskettes it will not require you to enter the CD Key and usually is faster to fix. If not, run the CD to repair it.

So if this is done you can run both? One question, I have never installed two OSs at a time. When booting you chose your OS?

haPpydUde
05-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Yes with multiboot you pick your os at start up, rip out your xp cd and repiar boot sector alec.

G H Z
05-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Actually if you install 2000 first, then XP it's fine.

IamAnoobieCheez
06-01-2005, 06:51 PM
So if this is done you can run both? One question, I have never installed two OSs at a time. When booting you chose your OS?
yes... I always use my dual boot os... win2kpro for gaming, and win server2003 for internet. So any junk crap programs needed for internet securities are not installed in win2k.. I keep it super clean, absolutely nothing.... except for games. All the multimedia stuff, music, internet files, and other programs are installed in my win server2003. The ethernet driver isn't even installed in win2k... no internet access... pure OS. :D

Actually if you install 2000 first, then XP it's fine.
yes... that's what we meant. :)

Daveb2012
06-05-2005, 08:09 PM
just repair mbr and you will be fine.

Alec
06-10-2005, 09:32 AM
OK thanks guys.
I will most likelly format my hdd tomorrow and split it into two partitions. Install win2k first and then XP pro / x64.

Ugly n Grey
07-07-2005, 08:50 PM
You can also just get a boot manager if you're worried, lots of those out there and they work well.

Alec
07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
OK well I tried it earlier... Without success..

I had the following partitions on my hdd:
C: 60GB
D: 20GB

I installed 2k on the D drive, xp didnt work (obviouselly) I went into recovery console and fixed mbr on both partitions.... nothing worked.

I then formatted the C drive and installed XP on it. install went fine but when I booted up it went streight to the xp partition and didnt give a boot menu :(

Im not really sure why it didnt work, any ideas guys?

I am currently installing XP on my c partition where I will use partition magic to make the C Drive about 20GB and the D Drive about 60GB... I will then format both partitions and install 2k on the c drive first, and then xp on the d drive... Really hope it works :)

If you can think of any alternate ways which will definatelly work, please tell me asap :D

Alec