PDA

View Full Version : Data Retrieval Problem : Access Denied

IamAnoobieCheez
05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Sometimes once a while I run into this problem when trying to retrieve data from a customer's hard drive.

For example when trying to get into user account folder in "Documents and Settings" i get "Access Denied". The data you are trying to open is not accessible. What the hell is causing this? It is vey annoying.

Is there a way to get into the folder and be able to access all of data in that folder? Tricks? Magic....

Help.... :(

IamAnoobieCheez
05-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Btw this is on windowsXP. I hadn't had the chance to see this problem on other OSes.. as most customers have winXP.

Is this caused by virus/spyware?? or something else? help? :confused:

jjcom
05-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Windows Security from what I can tell. Pretty much, doesn't let someone else touch your files. I think that's what your describing there..

jjcom

angrysquirrel
05-21-2005, 04:17 PM
You can get most likely get around that by using Knoppix (or any linux distro, but Knoppix runs from a CD). Even better, look for a Knoppix distro that comes with some data recovery/backup tools.

jjcom
05-21-2005, 06:26 PM
I just saw that I think it was Linux user and Developer came with Knoppix if you can't download the .iso file

jjcom

sluflyer06
05-21-2005, 08:45 PM
it has to do with your account not being registered as having permissions on that folder....from what i've been told if you log in as the admin. then u should be able to access them....however in my fairly large experience trying to recover files out of that directory on another computer it has yet to work.

IamAnoobieCheez
05-21-2005, 11:02 PM
thanx for the info guys.. :)

I forgot to mention that all those access deny folders were empty, even though there were few files inside, but it's at 0 kb. it says the folder is empty :confused:

I used the "Easy Recovery tool" to retrieve all data. Now i can get to the user account folder and retrieve files hmm...

urbanfox
05-21-2005, 11:04 PM
All you have to do is go into safemode, and go to folder permissions and add yourself, and then reboot into normal and viola, you got access.