PDA

View Full Version : Gameboy Micro Coming Next From Nintendon't.

Kunaak
05-18-2005, 04:51 AM
with all the hoopla about the PS3 and Xbox3 being about half as powerful as the earth simulator, and able to predict earthquakes...
seems theres little to no interest in Nintendo's next game stuff.
can't say it suprises me, with thier rather dull GC collection, and the 10th version of the gameboy thats doomed to cartridge death before it even arrives...

well, nintendo came up with another thing to make you wonder "what were they thinking"

generally, a GBA Sp is pretty much all you need.
it's small, it folds, it plays great, and doesn't cost much.
the DS in my opinion is abit of a joke, but my little cousins love it.
anything new to them is great...
I wish I was a kid again, cause its so much easier to enjoy something, when your not thinking about "specs and graphics" comparing it to the PSP and such...
but I am not, so specs I compare, and laugh I did, when I saw how weak my little cousins DS games seemed, compared to the few PSP's I have seen.

but thats a story for another day.

so what did nintendo do this time, that made you scratch your head in confusion??

well, it's called, the Gameboy Micro.
it's a smaller, GBA...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23297

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=bd1fe151-e91e-4226-a7ec-d64c321d9479

personally, I just don't get it.
the GBA already has a realativly tiny screen.
but now a screen 1/3rd the size of the original...
ouch.

I don't know, maybe it will be cool.
but I am still wondering... what were they thinking on this?

from this shot here, you can see for yourself, how tiny the details in this legend of zelda game really are...
now just imagine trying to read the text in the game :rolleyes:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30690&stc=1

Sentential
05-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Looks to me as a cheap way for them to cut costs and make a new product all at the same time! :slapass:

recons
05-18-2005, 05:04 AM
If its really cheap, it will do well with the youth market.

KoolDrew
05-18-2005, 11:43 AM
That looks really stupid. Even though I am not really into handhelds (except the PSP) I thought the Gameboy advanced SP was a cool design.

$a1Ty
05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
well it is really portable, brings new meaning to size doesnt matter :rolleyes:

but serisouly that is crap, give you so much eye strain, and what about cramps trying to use those buttons

viccyran
05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
The much higher resolution will result in a sharper picture, I doubt it will be challenging and straining to read text. However, I don't see the point. Kunaak states a great point, how does this seem better in ANY way compared to the SP? SP is a bit bigger, but it protects its own screen, and is pretty convienent and cheap.

GG nintendo

Disposibleteen
05-19-2005, 01:09 AM
this sounds like a device that is going to make glasses companies very rich, why would nintendo try to make a smaller screen while everyone else is going larger?

Reflex1
05-19-2005, 01:52 AM
that looks funny ...too small. it has the same specs as the SP ...you would expect it to be better no?

Disposibleteen
05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
probably same performance just smaller size.

KoolDrew
05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
probably same performance just smaller size.

:with:

ferrari_freak
05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
lol, you love using that smilie dont u kooldrew?

well anyways, i myself own both a game boy advance and a game boy advance sp. in my opinion this is just some little joke to bring back the old days where gba was all the rage. when will they understand that people don't want small, they want big, big, and bigger (as long as it still fits in your pocket after being this big since it is a portable system), but most of all, they want big performance. this is just bringing back the old stuff. cant make the picture better? seems nintendo thought about making it smaller so it will be clearer. disposibleteen, if you and i have the same glasses company, then i think that it is going to be VERY rich indeed.

KoolDrew
05-19-2005, 02:47 PM
lol, you love using that smilie dont u kooldrew?

Don't you think that is better then saying "Ditto" or "I agree"?

amd4me
05-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Nintendo has this problem, they are still catering to the japanese market.
And I dont think they realize that their biggest market is North America and western europe.
We dont go for gimmicky things like that.
We dont like "cute" purple lunch boxes and we dont like super mario sunshine.
The audience is getting older and wiser and we want more adult games. Super Mario was cool 7 years ago but nintendo needs something new inorder to stay afloat.

The western audience wants violence and dark gritty action.
Thats why the GC sold so horribly comapred to the other consoles in the usa.
and IMO japan is still one step behind with their new "revolution".
They are offering a service that I have had for the last 3 years on my xbox.
Their console is not as modern as the PS3 and 360.
It is small and gimmicky, not what the north american market wants.
We want full function consoles that will look good with our home theatre systems.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

recons
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I think you underestimate the Asian market.

amd4me
05-20-2005, 06:31 PM
I think you underestimate the Asian market.
No i dont.

Look at market share specs.

perry_78
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Thank you for reading my opinion

You're welcome. But very valid point you present. I have a GBA, I got it pretty much when it came out. I love it for Advance Wars and Golden Sun, but everthing else pretty much passed me by. I have all the mario's excluding Yoshi's island and in plain and simple language they suck. Might have been "mad chill" back in the day and it might be "re-loaded with Nostalgia", but they suck. Golden Sun had a nice conversion though, I really enjoyed the game. Wario 4 was brilliant as well.

Funnily enough I found THPS 2 to be the best game for GBA :) I have THPS3, but its not the same :) I think Nintendo really is suffering from the kiddy disease. Pokemon stopped being funny after you finished Yellow, Gold and Silver just because you were terribly bored in the Summer hols.

I think nintendo has to refocus, my brother got a DS and feel bad looking at it knowing it sucks ass and him knowing it too :( The touch screen is fancy but IMO useless in many games. After 2 months of use the touch screen has air bubles underneath it...

Payday is 12 days away, then I'm upgrading to PSP and my beloved Wipeout Pure :) I don't think MGA will be any fun because of its "inovative gameplay".

To get back on topic, that GB Micro is nothing short of rediculous. I can't imagine playing my beloved THPS2 on that, the vert ramp and flat ground would look the same :rolleyes:

Congratulations for reading this post and wasting between 2~5 minutes of your life which could have been spent on something productive :up:

ferrari_freak
05-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Don't you think that is better then saying "Ditto" or "I agree"?

I suppose so. It's kind of rude, but also kind of funny at the same time, lol. I personally would use a more nicer way of telling how their thoughts aren't correct.

Anyways, yeah, Nintendo really has to get away from their childish games. Okay, my brother likes it Mario for gameboy and all, but he's only 9 years old! The video gaming market isn't filled with 9 year old people. Now even my brother is moving towards playing Halo, etc. If Nintendo doesn't fix up their act soon and stop making all of the slim, cutsy stuff that no one cares about. We don't care if it can fit into the hole in the wall made by some rat if it can't do anything. I would rather have a huge gaming console take up half of my room and be able to play games that look like I was looking out the window and seeing aliens and people with guns. I would take that instead of a cheap plasticky console that can fit into cracks in your walls but when you plug it into your TV, what you get is old school Mario graphics. Size does matter, but the specs matter WAY more.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak

ingentingmendeg
05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
wow that thing looks such like a kiddy toy. just another way of them making money i suppose. :rolleyes:

Disposibleteen
05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
the gameboy is directed at the child section of the market, it should look like a "kiddie toy"

ferrari_freak
06-10-2005, 08:11 AM
the gameboy is directed at the child section of the market, it should look like a "kiddie toy"

No wonder their market shares are so low.... Why can't they get it through their heads? Kids dont have money and not every parent is going to give them a $1000 for video games.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak

Super strokey
06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Well the gameboy is far and away the best selling videogame system of all time in all markets if i do recall right so the micro will just help that, im getting one for the lrt ride to school and back, cant listen to the my ipod all th etime ;) I wonder what batter life will be like?

Disposibleteen
06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
get a psp, much better graphics and much larger screen, those things will kill your vision in no time.

Super strokey
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
psp's are junk, not really portable imo (not is teh ds) and the psp is way to expensive for me to justify.

Overconfidence
06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
get a psp, much better graphics and much larger screen, those things will kill your vision in no time.

Yeah, I love my PSP, especially those expensive movies that you can get for it! I get to watch the movie in two sittings, waiting for the goddamn battery to recharge.

.. Not that i'd actually have a PSP or anything.

Disposibleteen
06-22-2005, 05:13 PM
the movies arent the biggest selling point, i like the games much better, only watch movies if you have a charger near you, like on a long car trip.

viccyran
06-23-2005, 02:03 PM
PSPs are far superior, if you don't mind the weight. I'm sure as you get older, it wouldn't be much of a big deal.

Movies (encoded on a memory stick), Homebrew, Music, it does a lot. I didn't pay 250 just to buy 30 dollar movies and 40 dollar games. There's a lot of things to be done on a PSP that don't require buying anything besides a memory stick.

Super strokey
06-23-2005, 02:11 PM
PSPs are far superior, if you don't mind the weight. I'm sure as you get older, it wouldn't be much of a big deal.

Movies (encoded on a memory stick), Homebrew, Music, it does a lot. I didn't pay 250 just to buy 30 dollar movies and 40 dollar games. There's a lot of things to be done on a PSP that don't require buying anything besides a memory stick.

I hate that attitude that i need to grow up to really "understand" the psp. In my opinion the psp is extremely overpriced and made of poor quality and the market seems to be showing this aswell considering its poor sales. The GBA and the DS are selling better than it if what i last read was right. Now dont get me wrong but psps sure do lots of things that are handy but considering how large it is that kinda negates its benefits.

Either way if you like the psp good for you as it does have some reallyt good features. But i would take a gba any day over it. Plus discs for a portable system seems foolish to me. Like when im dont with a game on the road i want to be able to toss it into my pocket and not have to worry abotu scratching the surface.

viccyran
06-23-2005, 02:27 PM
I hate that attitude that i need to grow up to really "understand" the psp. In my opinion the psp is extremely overpriced and made of poor quality and the market seems to be showing this aswell considering its poor sales. The GBA and the DS are selling better than it if what i last read was right. Now dont get me wrong but psps sure do lots of things that are handy but considering how large it is that kinda negates its benefits.

Either way if you like the psp good for you as it does have some reallyt good features. But i would take a gba any day over it. Plus discs for a portable system seems foolish to me. Like when im dont with a game on the road i want to be able to toss it into my pocket and not have to worry abotu scratching the surface.
I was talking about the weight of the PSP.. not your attitude, but okay. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a perfectly fine psp. If you think it's pooor quality, you actually take your hands to a nice one, stare into the LCD for a minute and tell me the same thing.

The comparision of initial sales of DS to PSP are somewhat biased, considering DS was released right before Christmas season, and PSP was released in the middle of the spring.

There's a limit to how much a game based on flash memory can hold. Have you seen prices for 1gb flash memory drives? It's too much. As you've seen, roms for GBA are about.. what, 10 megs? PSP games are about a gig. That's the reason it has to be a disc. I do agree though, that they should have been more innovative with the way the discs are protected, they are encased in plastic but there are still areas to get scratched.

PSPs are somewhat large, but given the functionality I'd have to say its worth it. Have you seen something that plays video on that kind of screen that weighs less and is easier to carry around?

caLume
06-24-2005, 05:10 AM
hum, this thing is senseless, you could play with your mobile instead of that

you cant see what yo paid for...

trance565
06-24-2005, 09:40 PM
i was watching this thing on G4 tv the other day, it seems taht when the original game boy came out over 1 mil were sold, then they came out with the exact same thing, cept the otuside was colored, 500k sold the first day, then pocket came out, another few mil were sold taht year, then color, 6 mil that year, then advanced, 3 mil that year, advanced sp, a couple mil that year, it seems the only fluke of marketing they had was the DS, but apparently taht was just to see what would happen, not really a major "plan" in their marketing/production scheme, so im sure they know what they are doing, cuz game boy has been selling extremely well for the past 20 years, but really, with the psp now, i dun think they gonna be the king of hand held much longer, cuz psp lasts for like 20 hours, and its pimp gfx, and big screen make it pwn, so i think nintendo is screwed on this one, tho it wouldnt surprise me if a couple million of these are sold

Super strokey
06-26-2005, 06:11 AM
i was watching this thing on G4 tv the other day, it seems taht when the original game boy came out over 1 mil were sold, then they came out with the exact same thing, cept the otuside was colored, 500k sold the first day, then pocket came out, another few mil were sold taht year, then color, 6 mil that year, then advanced, 3 mil that year, advanced sp, a couple mil that year, it seems the only fluke of marketing they had was the DS, but apparently taht was just to see what would happen, not really a major "plan" in their marketing/production scheme, so im sure they know what they are doing, cuz game boy has been selling extremely well for the past 20 years, but really, with the psp now, i dun think they gonna be the king of hand held much longer, cuz psp lasts for like 20 hours, and its pimp gfx, and big screen make it pwn, so i think nintendo is screwed on this one, tho it wouldnt surprise me if a couple million of these are sold

Well apparantly sony originially thought they would ship 18 million psp's but have revised that too 12 million. ANd the DS is out selling the psp almost 2 to 1 in japan (not sure about NA sales) aswell as selling far more games. GameGear was better hardware too and look where it is? I think the only company that could really offer a challenge to nintendo is microsoft in the hand held market. As they could use their huge bank accounts to but the best games and such. Spny doesnt seem to be willing to do that yet

faruquehabib
06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
yall are overlooking a simple fact i think (well, not all of you). sure, niontendo may very well be aiming their stuff at the younger generation yet. but guess what? NO ONE F&^(ing ELSE IS!! someone has to do it!! i grew up with nintendo as many of you have. i still love their original games such as zelda and metroid. i dont always need violence and realistic stuff in my games personally...sometimes i wanna just relax, have a few jack and coke's, and play some damn mario golf! lol...

Super strokey
06-27-2005, 11:51 AM
mmmm mario golf, now that is a fun ass game!

SDX
06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Mario Tennis is also fun =)

viccyran
06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
yall are overlooking a simple fact i think (well, not all of you). sure, niontendo may very well be aiming their stuff at the younger generation yet. but guess what? NO ONE F&^(ing ELSE IS!! someone has to do it!! i grew up with nintendo as many of you have. i still love their original games such as zelda and metroid. i dont always need violence and realistic stuff in my games personally...sometimes i wanna just relax, have a few jack and coke's, and play some damn mario golf! lol...
I know it costs more, but if you really wanted to, you could do that with a PSP as well :P

I personally own mario tennis with a GBA, but playing on the psp is just easier than carrying around a few systems.

(sin)morpheus
06-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Why would you have to carry around a few systems?

The reason why I always enjoy nintendo's products is because they don't try to make them to be a best seller or a really popular thing. They just make them. All these companies nowadays make games with blood gore and graphics in mind, the gameplay usually ends up being the same crap that everyone else is doing. The reason they do it is because it's what sells best since the world is made of 99% idiots. Idiots who love their CS or their halo. Idiots who think that specs are the most important thing. Idiots that think looking pretty is high prioroity. I really enjoy the way the gaming market used to be. Every company made games with good gameplay instead of pretty graphics. Systems were made to function well instead of being the most powerful. The problem with the PSP is its supposed to be portable, but it clearly is pretty lacking in that respect. Gameboy has always sold well because it is a solid system with great games that anyone can enjoy. I'll continue this rant later because I'm lazy.

One thing the PSP can't do that a gameboy can, survive a fire. ;)

JAWS
09-25-2005, 09:53 AM
here are some good pics of the micro. I'll be getting one for my son (and me) ;)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000917060290/

jumanji969
09-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Why would you have to carry around a few systems?

The reason why I always enjoy nintendo's products is because they don't try to make them to be a best seller or a really popular thing. They just make them. All these companies nowadays make games with blood gore and graphics in mind, the gameplay usually ends up being the same crap that everyone else is doing. The reason they do it is because it's what sells best since the world is made of 99% idiots. Idiots who love their CS or their halo. Idiots who think that specs are the most important thing. Idiots that think looking pretty is high prioroity. I really enjoy the way the gaming market used to be. Every company made games with good gameplay instead of pretty graphics. Systems were made to function well instead of being the most powerful. The problem with the PSP is its supposed to be portable, but it clearly is pretty lacking in that respect. Gameboy has always sold well because it is a solid system with great games that anyone can enjoy. I'll continue this rant later because I'm lazy.

One thing the PSP can't do that a gameboy can, survive a fire. ;)

How does enjoying some of the best first person shooters ever made, make you an idiot? From your post I think the best place for you to find an idiot is in the mirror.

mcnbns
09-27-2005, 05:46 PM
The reason the DS is doing so well is that people who have grown up with Nintendo games and who are now ~25 years old have the money and want to feel nostalgic. "Oh, look, I can play Mario on my DS. I heart Mario." "Ooh! Kirby. I heart Kirby also."

The PSP doesn't have as much as a following because there isn't really a set of Sony characters like there are Nintendo characters.

And has anyone forgotten about the GameCube?

Gah.

My point is, all companies make good and bad consoles. It just happened that Nintendo was more appealing to little kids when it was made, and now those little kids are growing up. I don't think Nintendo did anything differently than any other company, they just got luckier with a couple more game franchises.

einCe
09-27-2005, 07:41 PM
that screen is like 14 :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing pixels wide lol

VisiV
09-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Who the hell do they think they are gonna be selling to... definitely not alot of people.... that thing would be too hard to play with the likes of my big hands..... in america...... bigger is better.... not smaller....

(sin)morpheus
09-29-2005, 09:22 PM
How does enjoying some of the best first person shooters ever made, make you an idiot? From your post I think the best place for you to find an idiot is in the mirror.

I checked, just in case. When I looked in the mirror all I saw was a geeky tech saavy guy. What do you see when you look in the mirror? A man that appears hot and sexy to you perhaps?

Since when has CS been a game by itself? Last I heard it was a mod of half-life, which is a great first person shooter by the way, but I don't play it for 8 hours a day straight like most CS and halo fans do with their games.

When a game is loved because it has "awexome graphix!11", something is wrong. Especially when those graphics aren't very awesome at all. Games used to be loved because they had great gameplay. Now I'm not saying that no new games don't have good gameplay. I am saying that 95% of them have horrible gameplay, yet people are stupid and get addicted anyway.

The pretty but boring trend that is sweeping the game market is quite disgusting. The games look great but they get boring quickly after playing for an hour. I used to have no problem buying games, but with how crappy they plays these days, very little are worth the money.

sokarul
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Bigger is better in America?
Cough Ipod mini cough Ipod nano cough

perkam
09-30-2005, 08:31 PM
If anyone can snap a few pics of it when they get it, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Perkam

Kunaak
10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
I will have to admit, nintendo still has the better games...

sony is a total failure in the game front, when it comes to the PSP.
every game I tried so far for the PSP has been a joke.
second rate games, that I would never have taken a second look at, if there was a real selection for it.
every friend I have that loves the PSP always seems so "blah" when they try to tell me how great it is. trying to tell me to get "lumines" or "untold legends" or something like that, but when I saw these games, I was less then interested.

Sony seriously needs to get games on the PSP before I would ever look into buying one.

however, I still wouldn't bother with another gameboy.
not even the DS.
it's just ancient technology, rehashed and sold for new.
I don't want another mario game.
I don't want pikmin.
or a kiddy version of zelda.

I want GTA.
I want Metal gear as a game, not a card game.
I want Final Fantasy, and other good RPG's.

the PSP seems to have the most potential.
however, so far, all that potential seems to be going to waste with thier crappy selection of games at the moment.

DCR
10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
I bought a PSP a few months back, with the value bundle and Ridge Racer. I turned it on and was impressed with the screen, of course.

Upon second boot, after popping in Ridge Racer, I was treated to a couple of stuck pixels...which wasn't very nice in my opinion. I played Ridge Racer for about 2 hours, and became extremely bored with the repetitive gameplay, so I hit the net for some homebrew.

I ran a few MAME emulators I found, and I was able to get a few games to work. I put a few video files on a memory stick I paid WAY too much for...and watched a music video or two. Music files loaded up nice, and I listened to a few of those, too.

The wonder and awe of the PSP wore off pretty damn fast for me though, and the stuck pixels and almost $400 with 1 game and memory card turned out to be too much for the value I really got. Between my MP3 player, PDA, laptop, desktop PC's and other various gadgets, the PSP was not the proper fit for me.

I returned it.

Oh yeah...the Game Boy Micro...

Nintendo can do what they want, I buy their stuff most of the time, but things like this piss me off to no end:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6598

A brighter screen for the SP?

They have done this improvement path trick since the original Game Boy hit the shelves...add the micro to this pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Gameboyline.jpg/800px-Gameboyline.jpg

If you want to add color...fine, shrink it? Fine...but, when you release the Game Boy Advance, and then backlight it, and then the GBA SP..and improve the screen...that tends to irritate owners.