PDA

View Full Version : de-electric grease need or not ?

PuijkeN
05-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Well simple question... I'll be getting my DFI NF4 soon... and I'm gonna mount my VapoChill LS on it... so the question is... do I need to put de-electric grease into my socket? I've searched this and other forums and get different opinions... some use it, some dont...

But what should I do? Put it in? Or not? It should last for at least 3 months... but won't I get rust or something on my CPU pins? :s Dno

Formann
05-18-2005, 03:08 AM
I always use it. I mean, why not? Doesnt hurt to be on the safe side.Also helps prevent corrosion.

thesaucier
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I always use it in the socket pin holes.

sluflyer06
05-19-2005, 11:28 AM
am i correct in that i've read you can't or shouldn't use it in 775 socket....i just got and AS8 and am getting a PC ICE unit.

thesaucier
05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
am i correct in that i've read you can't or shouldn't use it in 775 socket....i just got and AS8 and am getting a PC ICE unit.

I dont see why not it is nonconductive. It is used just to help fill some places and prevent moister damage or corrosion.

bob(nz)
05-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Well simple question... I'll be getting my DFI NF4 soon... and I'm gonna mount my VapoChill LS on it... so the question is... do I need to put de-electric grease into my socket? I've searched this and other forums and get different opinions... some use it, some dont...

For the LS I would definitely use the grease. The Prometeia has a hermetic seal to ensure that no air gets into the CPU cavitiy - you dont have the same seal with the Vapochill unit.:nono:

kayl
05-20-2005, 05:32 AM
i use it.
i have read of ppl not using the heaters that came with comercial phase change coolers.

instead using de-electric grease and normal insulation.
good idea if using long periods of time, just in case.

grease in socket replaces any air done right, any excess will come out side of cpu.
air tight no condensation.

s7e9h3n
05-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I dont see why not it is nonconductive. It is used just to help fill some places and prevent moister damage or corrosion.
Hehehe, I'm pretty sure an AS8 is a mobo, and not the new Arctic Silver :D

thesaucier
05-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Hehehe, I'm pretty sure an AS8 is a mobo, and not the new Arctic Silver :D
LOL I was talking about the grease!! :rolleyes:

s7e9h3n
05-21-2005, 02:01 PM
LOL I was talking about the grease!! :rolleyes:
I know - A =Arctic S = Silver ;) -which only goes up to 5 right now. An AS8 is an Abit mobo.... :p:

thesaucier
05-21-2005, 02:07 PM
I know - A =Arctic S = Silver ;) -which only goes up to 5 right now. An AS8 is an Abit mobo.... :p:

I am not sure what you are talking about. I am talking about deelectric grease such as Luberex! I am not talking about Arctic silver.

sluflyer06
05-21-2005, 08:34 PM
the only reason I ask is becuase Asetek reccomends not using it in 775 as they ahve found it to cause problems and after "testing" they found that it wasn't needed.

thesaucier
05-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I was thinking of mach 1 or mach 2. Vapo is a bit diffrent. You dont have to use it on either really but I used it in the socket holes to safe gaurd against moister incase It did not get a good seal. It can cause problems with seal string but I was always careful not to get it on any seal string. It is kind of a personal prefrence realy.

s7e9h3n
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about. I am talking about deelectric grease such as Luberex! I am not talking about Arctic silver.
Ok, nevermind, I think I'm getting confused now.....Sorry....and you're right, Luberex works best, but another option is silicon grease.....