PDA

View Full Version : heh put one of these in your comp

shray
12-11-2002, 05:28 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cig-01.html
... lol

Attitudx
12-12-2002, 05:36 AM
HEY yeah I think I am getting one of those, that would make my trip to the living room so much easier

JBELL
12-12-2002, 09:51 AM
I want one!! lmao

Attitudx
12-12-2002, 11:09 AM
i wonder how hard it would be to mod your own I have a few of those just lying around, and an old comp I might have to just toast one to see if I can get it to work

Smizack
12-12-2002, 11:41 AM
That thing is badass!!!

Now, if they could make these built-in cup holders a little stronger... I keep breaking them.:D

JBELL
12-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
That thing is badass!!!

Now, if they could make these built-in cup holders a little stronger... I keep breaking them.:D

you mean the cd-roms?

I used aluminum stripping to reinforce mine.

dmitriyaz
12-12-2002, 01:30 PM
:stick:
uh, doesn't that thing draw a lot of current?

shray
12-12-2002, 02:00 PM
thats what me thought... like you would need like a 600 watt psu.

Smizack
12-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
you mean the cd-roms?

I used aluminum stripping to reinforce mine.

Cd-whaaat?

Oh, the little mini-record thing? Yeah, it's my carrying handle...

IFMU
12-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Actually no, you wouldnt need anything special.
This is a mod that has become actually, and kinda scarily, rather common.
Its a very easy mod to do. It was explained recently rather well elsewhere... Lemme see if I can find it...

IFMU
12-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Thread link
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99298

Originally posted by Crazy Jayhawk
I stuck a cigarette lighter into the back of my case. The main reason is for easy access to 12V power outside the case. That way I could get a cheap 12V fan and set it on my desk to keep my head cool. :p

Closer view. The switch lets me turn on the upper PSU even when the computer is shut off. Since the lighting is hooked to that PSU, I can use the neon tubes to see what I'm doing when installing new hardware. I also added an AT-style power pass-through connector to that power supply. It's always on instead of being controlled by a relay.

Actually, the wiring is so simple that I may be able to do this without a diagram.

Parts required:
1 cigarette lighter well (available at auto parts stores)
1 female molex connector
2 Female disconnects, also called spade connectors. (available at a hardware store)

Step one: Figure out where you're going to put the lighter. Drill a 3/4" diameter hole for it. The well is in two sections. Unscrew the outer section and place it on the back side of the panel. Slide the inner section through the hole and thread the two sections back together.

Step two: Get your 12V power. I'd recommend finding a power lead that only has one molex connector on it so that the only thing drawing power through those wires is the lighter. Set that lead aside for the moment.

Step three: Wire up the connector that will hook the lighter up to the power supply. If you want, you can remove the 5V and one of the ground connectors since you won't be using them. Strip about 3/8" of the insulation from the ends of the wires and crimp the spade connectors onto them.

Step four: Connect the adapter to the lighter. The outer terminal of the lighter is ground and the center is 12V. Connect the spade terminals appropriately. The ground connection can be omitted since the ground contacts the case and the case is grounded, but I like to add it just to be sure. Then connect the adapter to the molex connector.

That's all there is. If you still want illustrations, I'll see what I can whip up in MSPaint. :p

See? Easy as pie :D LoL