PDA

View Full Version : First bike suggestions

Torinalth
12-11-2002, 07:36 AM
after I finish up modding my mustang in about 4 months I'll be looking to get a bike to enjoy the nicer days....

I've been told to stay away from the 600s as they are all over and you tend to get bored with them fast... but not to get a 1000 or so for the first bike..

what do you guys suggest? I want something I can learn on and something i can hold on to for a while... what brands and size do you think would be good... and why.

Torinalth

Attitudx
12-11-2002, 08:03 AM
I had back in the day a regular suzuki 750 katana i bought cuz i was in georgia in the army and the seat was wider proved more comfortable for the trips to oklahoma. As far as 600s go i would agree with smiz when he answers the yamaha r6 or somethinglike that dont look like you would get bored with it. Me if I was to buy one now I would buy a suzuki hayabosa but that is not a beginners bike. I would say a nice gsxr 750 you can do things with it, it is fast from stock and a good bike

Torinalth
12-11-2002, 12:21 PM
also, recommend a new bike, or getting used for a first?

Farabomb
12-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Used, because you will lay it down.

The 600's can be wicked quick and I'd start with something in that range over a 1000. :)

Attitudx
12-12-2002, 05:28 AM
yeah You will lay it down, i only did once, dang deer. But if you could find ya a good used 750 kawasaki turbo those were kinda neat to play with

Torinalth
12-12-2002, 09:51 AM
think i should look at ebay or cycle trader? and what would you limit youself to cash wise for the bike? I know a new GSXR 750 runs 10k.... and i dont really want to do that as a first bike payment.

Torinalth

Attitudx
12-12-2002, 10:37 AM
that is understandable ebayer might have some good stuff as well

Tweaked!
12-12-2002, 11:11 AM
One word...
Harley (http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2003/03_family.asp?bmLocale=en_US&market=US&family=VRSC):D

The only bikes worth the consideration.:cool:

Attitudx
12-12-2002, 11:34 AM
i would semi agree tweaked BUT you have to own a ricer at one time or another actually just by both no maybe a harley or a west coast chopper hehe

Smizack
12-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Torinalth
also, recommend a new bike, or getting used for a first?

That's all up to you. Yeah The Yamaha YZF R6 gets my vote. It's a 600 that you won't outgrow easily.

And if you go easy on it and don't try any dumb stuff you won't drop your bike. The only reason I've ever dropped one is because I was being retarded and lost controll.

Oh and a brand new R6 is under 8k dollas.;)

Torinalth
12-13-2002, 12:28 PM
I'm looking at ZX6R, GSX-r600, and R6....... not a fan of CBRs, and I want a crotch rocket, not a hogg....... so no harleys :)... I looked at the buel firebolt..... but 1000CC is a lil much for a first....

I'd love to get a yellow ZX6r, blue R6, or blue GSXR...... I've sat on the kaw and suzuki.... not a yamaha yet....

and I've been told that I'd prolly outgrow a 600 prety fast... is that true? cuz i dont want to drop 5-8k and then do it again in a few months.... I've actually got a blue r6 with the delta box III body as my work wallpaper :)

I really wany a bike..... look so much fun.... also, how well do they corner.... was chasing a bike with my mustang, and he was taking corners just as fast as I was..... are they really that stable?

Torinalth

Tweaked!
12-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Actually, did you click the link? That's far from a hogg. And I'd be willing to pit it against any of these rice rockets;)

As far as stable cornering, that's more up to the operator than the bike.:)

Hardass
12-13-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
One word...
Harley (http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2003/03_family.asp?bmLocale=en_US&market=US&family=VRSC):D

The only bikes worth the consideration.:cool:
I have to second Harley, the only bike this ass will ever touch. :D

Smizack
12-13-2002, 04:02 PM
I'm looking at ZX6R, GSX-r600, and R6....... not a fan of CBRs, and I want a crotch rocket, not a hogg....... so no harleys :)... I looked at the buel firebolt..... but 1000CC is a lil much for a first....

I'd love to get a yellow ZX6r, blue R6, or blue GSXR...... I've sat on the kaw and suzuki.... not a yamaha yet....

and I've been told that I'd prolly outgrow a 600 prety fast... is that true? cuz i dont want to drop 5-8k and then do it again in a few months.... I've actually got a blue r6 with the delta box III body as my work wallpaper :)

I really wany a bike..... look so much fun.... also, how well do they corner.... was chasing a bike with my mustang, and he was taking corners just as fast as I was..... are they really that stable?

Torinalth

I really don't think you'll outgrow an R6 that quickly.

They are hopped up quite a bit for thier engine size. But hey, if you do, just trade it in an an R1.

I just personally think the R1 is too twitchy, and just too much bike for me.

And if you want to know about cornering, look up "knee dragging" sometime;) They corner like a dream.

TheDude
12-14-2002, 08:07 AM
How much cash you wanna drop? Give Jessie James a call!:D

Attitudx
12-14-2002, 08:49 AM
I would say as much as it pains me that the R6 would be a good choice of bike they are pumped from factory and you can really pump them up more. As far as smiz stated Knee Draggin is fun, I have been close to knee draggin but never touched the pavement, So for cornering if you can handle it and alittle expierence you will be doing endos, wheel flippies, and mad cornering LOL

Smizack
12-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Heh. Don't try knee draggin on a dirt bike. Got my leg shredded doing that once.

Torinalth
12-16-2002, 10:16 AM
the harley is nice, but it is still not my style... i want something that "looks" more sporty.... i can imagine it is a nice setup... but not my cup o tea...

I'll look more into an R6 and see what i can do.... prolly want to get a used one first, so that i dont have to spend that much cash on it.

JJ does stellar work, but a custom bike is not in the works at this point in time....

Torinalth

Smizack
12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Yeah, you definately don't wanna trash a $75k bike.

Attitudx
12-17-2002, 08:05 AM
lol nope it was hard dropping a 6k bike i wouldnt even wanna ride something worth 75k LOL

Crazymofo
12-17-2002, 09:59 PM
What to say, what to say.......

The V Rod is a very nice bike and if someone gave me one I'd love to ride it but I am not a harley rider so prolly no chance I would ever buy one. Harleys really have to be in yer blood to appreciate them.

In regards to 600's, I didn't catch where you lived or what type of riding you'll be doing or on what kind of roads you'll be riding. 600's are meant for the track, no matter what anyone tells you they are not all that much fun on the street. An R6 redlines IIRC @ 11k RPM the fun, neck slinging, balls to the wall speed starts at about 6 or 7k and in first gear by the time you hit redline you'll be doing well over the speed limit for any road. The R1 will do over 100mph in 1st gear. Don't get me wrong 600s are great bikes they come pretty damned tweaked from the factory, are fast as hell, uncomfortable as hell and can do some impressive stunts. If you are riding on twisties every day then a 600 is where it’s at, they corner better, are very light and if you KNOW how to ride near the redline a 600 will be a lot of fun. But if you are bumming around town and riding a lot of straight roads and like having a clean driving record then a 600 will get old after awhile. The temptation (once it gets old) to go for top speed will be to great and you'll find yourself doing 120mph on your way to work in the morning or pulling stupid stunts and getting yourself hurt or killed. I beg u not to get a 1000+cc as your first bike; I've read way too many horror stories coming from morons or their friends about that situation. Plus MC insurance takes in to account your experience on a bike and 1000s will run you into the $1000's for a policy. I would definitely go used for a first bike I myself went new and I am paying the price for it! When you lay your bike down which you (I hate saying this but its true) will, if you're not injured you can sometimes just pick it up and ride away. The injured part really depends on the choices you make before the ride though.

Gear is the most important part of the bike. You can spend 2 - 3 grand on gear if you do it right, and if you value your life then you'll want to do it right! Helmet, it may not be required by law but it sure as heck is required to survive a bike wreck! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Seriously the biggest argument for no helmet is visibility. The people that try to argue with me about that all I tell them is 10 degrees of peripheral vision or a face and brain still intact after a wreck, I think I made the right decision! Jacket, you'll need a couple at least seasons change and if you're into it you'll suffer through a lot of stuff just to ride! Pants, if I had not been wearing protective pants I would have skin from my ass cheek on my hip right now! Instead I got a hell of a bruise and a stiff hip. Boots, once again if I had not been wearing MC specific boots I would be missing a toe no doubt! Prolly a broken ankle too. Gloves, Again with the personal experience crap, mine were missing the palms completely but I only had a small scratch on my hand. I would have needed a hospital visit had it not been for my gear, my bike was barely rideable but I managed to make the mile to my bothers house. No cops and no insurance which really saved my ass a lot of money.

There is so much you can learn with out laying a hand on a bike. I researched for over 6 months before I bought my bike. Take the MSF course, you can take them at colleges in most states, harley puts on a class too. Once you look you'll find someplace to take the course. Price varies widely, I could have spent $25 but I choose a better class for $300. The MSF teaches you basic riding skills and gives you an endorsement to get a motorcycle class license.

A beginner bike will inspire you to ride better without scaring the crap out of you the first time you whack the throttle around a corner on accident. Riding is not all about speed, the whole knee dragging thing is a lot of fun although that’s not something that’s needed on the street but I could have done it many times.

Riding on the street is very dangerous and it really kills the thrill of riding for me so I will be spending most of my riding time next year on the track. Track riding to me is the only way to enjoy truly riding a motorcycle.

Spend a good amount of time on the net researching riding not a specific bike but riding; find out what you want out of the sport. Then learn to ride, the MSF is the best way to start riding on the street. Ride regularly for a while, meet some other riders, after a season of riding you'll know if it’s for you or not.

I could say more but this has already run-on quite badly. I will close with my recommendation for a first bike and that would be the bike that I started on. If this is the first motor powered bike you've been on then it may not be for you as it has more power then a bike someone like that could handle. Now this bike is not a 600 but it is plenty fast and looks really good though not for everyone. It's a twin instead of an inline 4 pushes 65 or more HP weighs very little and is a blast to ride. I have been riding for two seasons now and I'm already anxiously awaiting spring! You will ride a very small underpowered bike if you take the MSF, which will give you a good idea of how much you can handle. This bike has me up at 5am on Sunday riding an hour to my favorite roads. Most of the guys I know that all bought 600s wouldn't even think of going out that early. All the guys that ride SV650's are up with me on Sunday ready to go. An SV will run you about $4000 maybe less used.

Good luck,
Dress for the fall not the ride!
The average life span of an R1 from purchase to totaled is 45 days!
It's a passion not a hobby!
Have fun most of all!

Sorry for the long post, I had to force myself to shut up towards the end. I think it was worth the read though, dont you?

*edit* checked where you lived after posting this, I so wish I could live in NC, there are so many really sweet roads near you. Check out tailofthedragon.com <--- one of my vacation spots next year!

Torinalth
12-18-2002, 11:00 AM
yes, I have a lot of roads I love to take my mustang out on, but going 120 down the roads and hearing the tires start to break on curves is nice at first then gets old quick.... curves are not nearly excitement enough... gotta race people in the GT, and want a bike to ride for the curves....

What brand is the SV650?

I will be getting a full face helm, gloves, and jacket.... pants and boots will have to come later as cash is going to be tight after the biek purchase....

the MSF class is back logged 6 months down here, and am already on the list. crazy.... anything else you can add would be most welcome.....

Torinalth

Smizack
12-18-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Crazymofo
When you lay your bike down which you (I hate saying this but its true) will,

The average life span of an R1 from purchase to totaled is 45 days!

Lol. I know that there are a lot of stupid people in the world.
And I know that some of them go get R1's and die or get hurt within a month or so. But saying You WILL lay it down just isn't right. I know people around here that have ridden all thier lives and never so much as put a scratch on thier bikes. And I'm not talking about grandpa's Goldwing either.

I mean, accidents are always a possibility, and I shouldn't have added fuel to the fire by bringing up knee dragging (because unless your experienced and on a track, it's a really stupid thing to do).

But I always hate hearing "You will drop your bike" as if they are cursed and you are inevitably doomed to fail, I'm a firm believer that stupid things happen to stupid people. Case in point is the lifespan of an R1. ;) But I still gotta say if you are smart about what you are doing, you'll never drop it.

As far as the comfort level it solely depends on the person, not the bike.

You did give out some very good pointers though.:toast:

Smizack
12-18-2002, 10:26 PM

What brand is the SV650?

It's a suzuki. If you add the front fairings it actually dosen't look too bad. IMHO

Crazymofo
12-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Smizack
Lol. I know that there are a lot of stupid people in the world.
And I know that some of them go get R1's and die or get hurt within a month or so. But saying You WILL lay it down just isn't right. I know people around here that have ridden all thier lives and never so much as put a scratch on thier bikes. And I'm not talking about grandpa's Goldwing either.

I mean, accidents are always a possibility, and I shouldn't have added fuel to the fire by bringing up knee dragging (because unless your experienced and on a track, it's a really stupid thing to do).

But I always hate hearing "You will drop your bike" as if they are cursed and you are inevitably doomed to fail, I'm a firm believer that stupid things happen to stupid people. Case in point is the lifespan of an R1. ;) But I still gotta say if you are smart about what you are doing, you'll never drop it.

As far as the comfort level it solely depends on the person, not the bike.

You did give out some very good pointers though.:toast:

Like I said I hate saying it because there are exceptions to every rule. My first season I never even came close to dropping it, but after getting comfortable with riding *read; :banana::banana::banana::banana:y :)* I was pushing it and lost it, I was lucky...very lucky!! A guy I know has been riding for 13+ years and had never dropped a bike but one day he for some reason decided to wear his tennis shoes to the store and his lace caught on the foot peg and over he went. So I can confidently say 99% of the riders out there it’s only a matter of time!

Yes comfort does depend on the person but what it depends on is if that person will put up with having an aching back after a moderate to long ride. No matter how you look at it 600ss bikes are uncomfortable, the position you sit in is very hard on the body. Of course you will get used to it and the muscles will strengthen but no matter how physically fit you are that position will wear on you after awhile.

Cant wait to scrape knee on the track next year!!

Torinalth - Check out www.svrider.com for more info on the SV and for more info on riding cycleforums.com is a great place with a lot of great riders. There are tons of books out there you could read one that is highly recommended is Proficient Motorcycling : The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1889540536/qid=1040320660/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-4698754-6440752?v=glance&s=books)

I'll possibly add more later but Im busy as all hell right now so ask any questions you like and I'll try to answer them.

Smizack
12-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Like I said I hate saying it because there are exceptions to every rule. My first season I never even came close to dropping it, but after getting comfortable with riding *read; :banana::banana::banana::banana:y :)* I was pushing it and lost it, I was lucky...very lucky!! A guy I know has been riding for 13+ years and had never dropped a bike but one day he for some reason decided to wear his tennis shoes to the store and his lace caught on the foot peg and over he went. So I can confidently say 99% of the riders out there it’s only a matter of time!

Yes comfort does depend on the person but what it depends on is if that person will put up with having an aching back after a moderate to long ride. No matter how you look at it 600ss bikes are uncomfortable, the position you sit in is very hard on the body. Of course you will get used to it and the muscles will strengthen but no matter how physically fit you are that position will wear on you after awhile.

Cant wait to scrape knee on the track next year!!

Yeah, I understand that but accidents do happen. Weather it was caused by the bike rider, or the grandma that can't see above the stering wheel is unpredictable.

But on that same note, you could also say if you drive a car you will wreck it. That's all I'm getting at. I've dropped 2 bikes and it was because I was stupid. After that I learned to respect and even fear them a bit.

It changes your whole outlook on how you ride.

Smoke'em
12-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi Torinalth,

I have been working in the industry for well over 10 years. I can advise you to first really think what you want. If it would be your first bike then I would go for an inline4 600 first. Twins like the Suzuki SV650 are not really smooth and take getting used to. Be aware that a sports 600 is almost as fast in the real world as a 1000. Quarter miles of a standard R6 are already in the high tens.
Bigger bikes have more torque and will leave a small bike standing from 100 mph upwards.

A nice bike to really get the feeling of what it's like would be a bike like a Yamaha Fazer 600 or a Suzuki Bandit 600. Granted, these bikes are not the dogs bollocks, but will still smoke a quarter in around 12 seconds.

I can strongly advise you not to buy the 'king of the hill' straight away, as you first need to get the feeling of riding a bike.

The moral is that a 'normal' bike will not try to kill you as fast a performance bike. Remember that even a Fazer 600 has a top whack of over 140 mph, which is still fast in anyone's book.

Good luck.

Hupperware
12-20-2002, 11:05 AM
Ride Red - Honda 600 RR is a great first bike.

I have a 2002 F4i and the thing is great. The ergos are great and won't make you ride on your wrists like a GSX-R.

Torinalth
12-27-2002, 07:57 AM
I am really likeing the idea of that SV650s... looks very nice and is cost effective... also not a "sport bike" so i will get an insurance discount. rolling new at just under 6500 I believe that will be in my range of astetics and power.... but i will need to try it to see if i like how it rides and handles...

Anything else that ANYONE can think of is MORE than welcome. this thread has been very informative....

Torinalth

Crazymofo
01-01-2003, 04:37 PM
I like the fact that you like the SV it's a really great bike you wont regret it at least I didn't! There's lots of info out there just got to look for it I'm too drunk to type anything else right now. Happy new year!

GSE Anthony
01-02-2003, 08:49 PM
I am really likeing the idea of that SV650s... looks very nice and is cost effective... also not a "sport bike" so i will get an insurance discount. rolling new at just under 6500 I believe that will be in my range of astetics and power.... but i will need to try it to see if i like how it rides and handles...

Anything else that ANYONE can think of is MORE than welcome. this thread has been very informative....

Torinalth

Well I have been reading this site for about 3 weeks now as I have been researching different sites in an effort to learn as much new stuff I can to make educated decisions on what I was parts I was going to buy for my new PC I am building.
This site has been extremely helpful and I am glad I ran across it.
It wasn't until tonight that I even looked into any general type forums and I have found alot of cool threads to read. This was the one that broke the camel's back and I had to register.;) Time for me to "give back" in my eyes.

I have been riding something since I was about 6, I rode dirtbikes first, then 3-wheelers, then raced quads. Then I got an enduro as my first street legal bike, soon after I made the step to a street bike and about 9 years ago to sportbikes. I am now 32.
I have been riding with a license for about 13 years and I can honestly say that as I was reading this thread and then came across the post by Crazymofo, he had just about everything I was thinking already typed out for me. Thanks man.
I agree basically 100% with his initial reply to you. I know at least 4 people that have bought and still have SVs and LOVE THEM. Actually all of them but 1 own the SV650S, the one with the upper fairing.
Crazymofo is dead on about the MSF course and about gear. Find a way to get it, you can't put a price on your body, gear and your bike can be replaced. I know you can get a jacket, pants, boots, helmet and gloves for anywhere from $750 up to like he said, a couple or few thousand. Spend $250 or $350 or more if need be on a quality helmet, what after all is your head worth!
Insurance costs will be cheaper with the SV over a standard street bike and these SVs can go! There are a number of riders that go to the North Florida Motorsports Park with track bikes that are SVs and they are fast riders. (www.nfmsp.com will get you to their site)
I also agree with the statement that many say "It is not a matter of IF you will go down, but WHEN you will go down."
The reason I believe this statement is because if you ride assuming the worst CAN happen at anytime, you might ride defensively enought that it never will. This is where Smizack's is correct. Honestly it is what YOU make of it, don't respect the bike and it's power, (and trust me, even an SV can get you into trouble if you don't respect it) and you will be picking yourself and your bike off the ground, IF you are lucky! The unluck ones don't get up, and I am talking from experience...we buried another friend the week before Christmas, not new to bikes, he had been riding as long if not longer on the street than me.
That sums it up, I can add more or answer other questions if you have them but that is my stance. Just wanted to help you out, you sound like your headed in the right direction with the decision to go with the SV....good luck and safe riding!:thumbsup:
Happy New Year everyone!:toast:

Smizack
01-02-2003, 09:15 PM
GSE Anthony, welcome to Xtreme.

Having the thought is the back of your head that you you may go down at any moment is another story all together, and I agree. I just don't want to turn anyone off to the idea of getting a bike by telling them that they will wreck it.

But in the same respect, I never think about wrecking while driving a car either.

I was turned off of bikes for a long time because people told me that I'd wreck. And I did, but that was due to lack of experiance and wreckless driving.

Crazymofo
01-02-2003, 10:19 PM
GSE Anthony, welcome to Xtreme.

Thanks for backing me up, I love my SV and knew I would before I even bought it and my true intentions for the bike were always track use.

Everyone here at xtreme are a great bunch so feel free to post any questions you might come across as you're building your new system.

Sorry to hear of your loss, hope you have a good new year.

Crazy. :toast:

Torinalth
01-03-2003, 05:26 AM
thanks a bunch for the comments...

I believe the SV650s in orange is what I'll be getting in mid spring, after I drop a super charger in my new mustang.... maybe sell my 600hp 5.0 to pay for the bike....

armor.... that is the next issue.. I'm looking into a Vega Full face helmet.... that much i know i have a good choice in.... but aside from that gear is at a loss to me.... what brands of balistic pants, gloves, summer and winter jackets and the likes?

Torinalth

Torinalth
01-13-2003, 07:06 AM
hey guys, just wanted to drop you a line... I ran into a financial crunch and wont be getting a new bike, but looking at a 01 sv650s in either silver or blue.... hopefully in 2-3 months I'll post a pic of my new baby....

Thanks a bunch for all your assistance.

Torinalth

Crazymofo
01-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Good luck, tis better to go used anyway trust me.

22b
02-11-2003, 08:39 PM
My 1st bike was a GSXR1000...

A bike is a bike. Just because all the power is there does not mean you have to use it...

You can kill yourself just as bad on 600 as you can on a 1000.

If I could have any bike right now, I would choose a 600 = I would eat 1000 at the track.

Lite and nibble in the turns and revs forever...

Good Luck

[i]bones tend to snap and pierce out of skin at the worst moments:D

22b
02-11-2003, 08:40 PM
it just ripped out:(

Crazymofo
02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 22b
My 1st bike was a GSXR1000...

A bike is a bike. Just because all the power is there does not mean you have to use it...

You can kill yourself just as bad on 600 as you can on a 1000.

This is somewhat true but on a less powerful bike the power is not there to get u into trouble in the first place!!!! And its not like a n00b is gonna know that if he accidently whacks the gas wide open that the bike is gonna pull one hellofa wheelie and flip over on top of him.:D:D

Smizack
02-12-2003, 08:42 PM
...And its not like a n00b is gonna know that if he accidently whacks the gas wide open that the bike is gonna pull one hellofa wheelie and flip over on top of him.:D:D

An R6 will do the same.

22b
02-13-2003, 08:53 AM
An R6 will do the same.

Yes, my point exactly!

not as tourqey as a liter bike but the fact that it its so lite and tiny...the wheel is going up just as fast.

GSE Anthony
02-13-2003, 03:41 PM
An R6 will do the same.
True!

Which is why I would never even suggest an R6 or other 600 class bike these days, they make a mean 600 in todays day and age. My first sport bike was a ZX6, but a '91 ZX6D has no power compared to todays 600s.

Also true that if you have a GSXR 1000, and are new to riding, you don't HAVE to use it. It depends alot on the rider and their maturity, common sence and reasons for buying the bike.

A mature adult male that just has an interest in riding and wants to enjoy the twisty roads and nice rides may have alot more self control than an 18 year old that just saw Biker Boyz last night and figures he could put a whoopin on all his friends in their civics if he had a big bad GSXR 1000.
It's all the rider, and speacking from experience, most teenagers, and even many new riders in their 20s don't have the self control to not put themselves in a bad postition especially with a bike that can put them in that postion faster than you realize it has happened.

My suggestion is always, a 3-5 year old 600 at most. Perferrably a used EX500 or equivilant or possibly an SV650.

Good luck in your quest for a ride when you have the ability Torinalth. Have a wheelie nice day! ;)