PDA

View Full Version : "Pencil" alternative

5-Clicks
05-14-2005, 05:40 PM
What's a good alternative to a pencil for a pencil mod? The reason I ask is because the lead of a pencil will eventually blow off and you end up with a dead part. ( :cussing: ) Is there a conductive paint that you guys recommend? :toast:

Holst
05-15-2005, 01:16 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO

You obviously dont understand HOW a vmod works.

You are trying to alter the resistance of the resistor you are drawing around.
If you use conductive paint you will short over the resistor taking the resistance very low.
This will give you maximum voltage and will probably kill whatever you are modding.

Pencil mod is lazy, dangerous and innacurate IMO.

The best alternative is soldering a VR instead.
This is more accurate and will last forever.

5-Clicks
05-15-2005, 03:49 AM
You obviously dont understand HOW a vmod works.

The best alternative is soldering a VR instead.
This is more accurate and will last forever.
obviously... ;)

ok, so what type of wire would you suggest and do i need anything else (i have a soldering iron)? what type of solder would you recommend...or would any kind/brand work?

thanks.

Gray Mole
05-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Hehehe

'conductive paint' lol

Yeah, the lower the resistance, the higher the voltage usually, so if you make it zero resistance, max volts, and ovp won't usually save you...

You should use pure silver solder, and if your gun doesn't have a sharp enough tip, wrap a fairly thin piece of copper wire around the tip a few times and use that, gives you a nice sharp tip to work with...

A magnifying glass with a stand of some kind helps, cos the pins and traces can be real small...

Use fluxless solder, and get some good electronics rated flux and a really fine tip paint brush to apply it to the contact you want to solder to, makes the solder stick better and faster...less likely to burn the pcb or accidentally bridge 2 contacts...

A 'solder-sucker' helps to get rid of the excess if you get 'blobs'

Take a look at the work that other's are doing, and maybe throw a pm at one of the good vmodders around for specific advice on a mobo or card...

I can do mods a bit, but if it's a good mod you want and you're not sure if you can do it right, just get one of the vmodders to do it for ya...it's not that expensive, and they do a nice pro quality job...

Just had Persivore do my X800, and it looks great!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=863364#post863364

No reason not to give it a try, but at £300 for a card these days...

Gray

kryptobs2000
05-15-2005, 04:22 AM
persivore did a pretty good nice job there, I don't like how the wires are so long but I guess there's nothing that can really be done about that. It looks real good tho, props to him.

Gray Mole
05-15-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah, could have routed shorter, but I'd have lost some space in the mouting area, and I need it free and clear for a full rear plate for the heatpad, and evap head mounting, so unavoidable...HAD to be outside the square around the ram...

Cheers, I sure can't wait to try it out, it clocked all right, and gave up close to 35k in 3d01 with the stock air/no mods, so a little tweaking and I'm hoping to join the 40k club...

Gray

5-Clicks
05-15-2005, 08:43 AM
thanks for your help :)

i was thinking conductive paint for things like doing the NF4 -> SLI mod where a wire isn't necessary. i guess you'd just put a small glob of solder no higher than the core right there eh?

kryptobs2000
05-15-2005, 11:36 AM
for the nf4 -> sli mod you WOULD use conductive paint.

5-Clicks
05-15-2005, 12:36 PM
any suggestions or tips?

Hydroxil
05-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Umm, what is a pencil mod?

-Hydro

Kunaak
05-15-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/101/2

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/112

http://www.nforcershq.com/article2398.html

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1912&s=1

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=926&s=1

heres some examples of mods that can be done with a pencil.

however, I am not the kinda person to recommend a pencil mod, if your a beginner.
it's very easy to screw up and take the voltages too far, if you don't know what your doing.

I don't like pencil mods myself.
a good VR and steady hand make volt mods and overclocking with them, a whole lot easier.

lalPOOO
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
[url]
I don't like pencil mods myself.
a good VR and steady hand make volt mods and overclocking with them, a whole lot easier.

I agree 100% with that and would like to 'third' it.

5-Clicks
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
but besides vmods, what would you recommend besides a pencil for simple, easy things like the nf4-->SLI mod? or is that a pretty pointless question and a blob of solder or conductive paint or just about anything would work? :D

lalPOOO
05-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't work. The pencil mods work because the graphite barely conducts, using conductive paint would toast your stuff.

Vmods are the answer :)

5-Clicks
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
i've never heard of vmods converting a chipset to SLI :p:

Entity_Razer
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I agree 100% with that and would like to 'third' it.

Yhea but pencil mods will tell you if a Vmod is needed or if you just have crappy mem (like I intent to do, first pencilmod, if it improves Vmod :) )

ewitte
05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Are there any non hardware based mods? I uppded the .vcore on my old 6800GT through a BIOS flash.

Eric

TMM
06-17-2005, 05:34 AM
i've never heard of vmods converting a chipset to SLI :p:
thats totally different though. With vmods you are lowering the resistance across two points slightly to increase the voltages slightly (or alot).

with the SLI mod you just joining two points. Its either connected or its not, no resistance at all.

edit:
**** thread revival :( :slap:

dippyskoodlez
06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
as for wire, I wanna suggest-- solid core cat5. super cheap, get 8 strands in a wire. and its everywhere, especially LAN's. :D and very easy to work with.

thats totally different though. With vmods you are lowering the resistance across two points slightly to increase the voltages slightly (or alot).

with the SLI mod you just joining two points. Its either connected or its not, no resistance at all.

edit:
**** thread revival :( :slap:

haha.. oh dear.. it is... :p: ohwell.

lalPOOO
07-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Actually, IDE cables are a bit better as far as wire goes. Much more flexible and less likely to rip pads off your board. Thinner too.

Brain32
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey guys what do you think about hot-glue gun soldering I saw something like that on vr-zone, it seems to be easier to remove it...