PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable rails, split 12V lines...help!

AgentVX
05-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey all. Did some searching but couldn't find a very specific answer. First of all, I'd like to know how important it is to have adjustable rails on a PSU.

Reason for asking is that I'm buying a new PSU soon and it's pretty much down to a Powerstream vs Enermax Noisetaker (looking at the 420W versions of both). Is the Powerstream worth paying more money for?

I've also been reading that PSUs with two 12V lines are better for overall stability...is this true? Because the Noisetaker has split 12V lines...

STEvil
05-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Adjustable rails are not important, but a nice feature when you're pusing the limits.

"Multiple rails" can influence transient current draw and peak voltage ripple creating a more stable flow of electricity to the circuitry on the board, and in the event of a failiure may be more reliable than a single rail supply.

Its important to know whether the PSU has true split rails where they are true seperate voltage supplies only linked via signal to reglate voltage, or if they are connected with a large connection capable of handling power draw should one device draw more current than one rail can supply. The second is the more reliable method.

AgentVX
05-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Its important to know whether the PSU has true split rails where they are true seperate voltage supplies only linked via signal to reglate voltage, or if they are connected with a large connection capable of handling power draw should one device draw more current than one rail can supply. The second is the more reliable method.

Well the Noisetaker has 15+14 Amps on the 12V rails; I won't be running SLI nor do I have any cold cathodes or an excessive number of drives so I doubt I'll exceed the supply of either 12V rail. So is what you said still applicable?

Anyway the best info I could find is on Insanetek (http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=enermaxnt470w) and they say

The Noisetaker however, has separate rails to keep things running. This means that if the CPU is sucking too much power, it won't affect the lines that feed the rest of your system.

Is this what you were referring to?

STEvil
05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
somewhat.

If the CPU pulls too much power for that rail then it will destabilize the system which defeats the purpose of multiple rails, whereas if you had both linked it would pull power from both 12v rails at once and only destabilize if your system as a whole were pulling too much power.

Dave in Daytona
05-14-2005, 07:36 PM
OCZ PowerStream:

1% regulation

adjustable pots

5yr warranty

OCZ PWNS customer service.

Dave :toast:

AgentVX
05-14-2005, 08:36 PM
somewhat.

If the CPU pulls too much power for that rail then it will destabilize the system which defeats the purpose of multiple rails, whereas if you had both linked it would pull power from both 12v rails at once and only destabilize if your system as a whole were pulling too much power.

But how likely is it that a CPU will draw ~15A on the 12V line? :shock:

And what PSUs have this linked dual rail system that you speak of?

jjcom
05-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I'd get the OCZ PSU. From what I've seen, they generaly are very rock solid and just seem higher in regards to quality. If they fail, OCZ has great support as well

jjcom

STEvil
05-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Tony told me the powerstreams are linked, but didnt elaborate if its just a signal link for voltage regulation or a full link which would be able to handle amperage.

Got a 600w powerstream for my bench and i've seen a lot doing fine on some pretty high end setups, so I assume they must be the second option, or damn good :D

15a @ 12v is 180w, and i'm sure there are setups out there pulling more than 200w to the CPU alone (FUGGER's dualcore P4 for example, or the 6ghz+ stuff.. maybe a ~4ghz FX-xx would be close too.).

Really gotta do some serious work to run a good psu out of headroom, but dont forget to account for anything else on the motherboard and efficiency of mosfets etc.

AgentVX
05-15-2005, 12:09 AM
All right, I also realised that the Noisetaker 420's combined wattage for 3.3V+5V is 260W, which leaves only 140W for the 12V lines, correct? Now that's definitely not enough...So I should be looking at the 470W Noisetaker as a minimum, in which case I might as well get an OCZ 420 (based on price).

Anyway I've emailed my local retailer asking for quotes on an OCZ 420, Noisetaker 470 and an Antec True Control 2.0 550W as well. Will see what they have available and the price. Thanks for all the advice, you guys. XS rules :woot: :banana:

Dave in Daytona
05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
All right, I also realised that the Noisetaker 420's combined wattage for 3.3V+5V is 260W, which leaves only 140W for the 12V lines, correct? Now that's definitely not enough...So I should be looking at the 470W Noisetaker as a minimum, in which case I might as well get an OCZ 420 (based on price).

Anyway I've emailed my local retailer asking for quotes on an OCZ 420, Noisetaker 470 and an Antec True Control 2.0 550W as well. Will see what they have available and the price. Thanks for all the advice, you guys. XS rules :woot: :banana:What exactly are your system specs? :stick:

Squid_Spit
05-16-2005, 06:32 PM

Anyway I've emailed my local retailer asking for quotes on an OCZ 420, Noisetaker 470 and an Antec True Control 2.0 550W as well. Will see what they have available and the price. Thanks for all the advice, you guys. XS rules :woot: :banana:
When it says combined wattage for 3.3V+5V is 260W it just means that the psu can supply no more than 260w for the +3.3&+5v combined together.

AgentVX
05-16-2005, 08:37 PM
When it says combined wattage for 3.3V+5V is 260W it just means that the psu can supply no more than 260w for the +3.3&+5v combined together.

Yeah I know, I got confused :slap: Realised my mistake later on but couldn't be bothered going to correct it :p:

What exactly are your system specs?

Currently, a Northie 2.4B @ 3.11 1.55Vcore, 2x512MB Corsair Value Select, 9600XT, couple of hard drives, some fans, etc etc.
Upgrading soon to a Venice + DFI board (keeping an eye out for the nF3 version) and a GeForce 6, either 6600GT or a hopefully softmoddable 6800LE AGP. Might go into H2O later on as well.

Dave in Daytona
05-16-2005, 09:32 PM
DFI N4 PS Guide: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854 :fact:

AgentVX
05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
For some odd reason, the OCZ 420W Powerstream isn't available in Australia :shrug: And as we all know, the 470W model has been discontinued. 520W is beyond my budget, so I'm back looking at Enermax again.

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1707

3.3V/5V/12V1/12V2: 32/32/18/18, max 12V output 32A. Should be good enough, I reckon :yepp:

Squid_Spit
05-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Spend $20 more and get this one, SLI ready and has 35a on +12v rail http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1709

edit: these last 2 topower's (420w & 520w) are actually the same as the ocz powerstream.

Dave in Daytona
05-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Spend $20 more and get this one, SLI ready and has 35a on +12v rail http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1709

edit: these last 2 topower's (420w & 520w) are actually the same as the ocz powerstream.The OCZ PowerStreams are based on the Topower P6 series, however there are differences
as the PowerStreams have many options & customizations.

Either Enermax or the Topower P6 520W would be fine. :toast:

ArcTan
05-17-2005, 06:17 AM
The OCZ PowerStreams are based on the Topower P6 series, however there are differences
as the PowerStreams have many options & customizations.

Either Enermax or the Topower P6 520W would be fine. :toast:what about the topower P6's with the adjustable voltage rails?
Would they be identical internally to the ocz?

AgentVX
05-17-2005, 07:10 AM
http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1462
This one?
That's a pretty good deal if it's as solid as a Powerstream :rehab:
Doesn't seem to have adjustable pots though...

P.S. Heya ArcTan :wave:

Dave in Daytona
05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
what about the topower P6's with the adjustable voltage rails?
Would they be identical internally to the ocz?Identical no, but close.

Any Topower P6 will be a good PS, but there are many options & customizations.

The OCZ PowerStreams are not rebadged Topower P6's, rather they are based on the P6,
with many options & customizations that make them exclusivly OCZ PowerStreams. :toast:

Squid_Spit
05-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah thats right, There's some improvements over the Topower P6 like having 1% regulation (instead of 3%), as well as other little things.

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1462
This one?
That's a pretty good deal if it's as solid as a Powerstream :rehab:
Doesn't seem to have adjustable pots though...

P.S. Heya ArcTan :wave:
Not too sure about the 420w Topower but the 520w should have adjustable pots.

AgentVX
05-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Any idea what the warranty period on Topower PSUs is? I know Noisetakers are 3 years, Powerstream 5 years.

Edit: Found out it's only 1 year :dammit: