source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23217

Der_KHAN
05-13-2005, 02:23 AM
i dont get it :confused:

who is gonna pay for what?

saaya
05-13-2005, 02:55 AM
ms bought some antivirus software company some months ago, i think they want to stop people complaining about security holes on windows, but instead of working harder on making windows more safe they will have their own security add on for windows you will have to pay for. why give people something for free if there are enough people willing to pay a lot of money for it? :D

so basically we wil have to pay money to patch their security holes now... :stick:

ssjwes
05-13-2005, 03:31 AM
OMG HOLY CRAP!!!! They want me to pay for WHAT.......? They better be still offering the updates to there stupid crapy OS. If they want people to pay for it add it to the new OS that going to be coming out and add the cost into there or just dont charge any money for the damn thing at all. Windows already cost an arm and a leg and they have it on at lest 95% of the computers on earth you think they could lower the price abit.

Der_KHAN
05-13-2005, 06:29 AM
i think u got something wrong there. its most unlikely that ms will make u pay for updates.

to me it sounds more like ms will create their own kind of norton internet security package that us comsumers can buy.

kalen
05-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Aaaaaaahhhhh, Linux.

Der_KHAN
05-13-2005, 10:05 AM
thats what some guy at th inq replied to me:

"Consumers will be paying a year's subscription for AV and antispyware
software from MS"

so its like i said, ms will offer an own AV that u can buy or not. nothing to be worried about

saaya
05-13-2005, 10:43 AM
yeha, and that new security add on will be what the free patches for their security holes are now afaik.

they said they would still patch important security holes, but smaller fixes and security patches will be available to the subscribed people earlier and for a wider range of problems afaik...

Der_KHAN
05-13-2005, 12:04 PM
nobody talked about hotfixes. its only about firewall, av and anti-spyware

angrysquirrel
05-13-2005, 12:11 PM
yeha, and that new security add on will be what the free patches for their security holes are now afaik.

they said they would still patch important security holes, but smaller fixes and security patches will be available to the subscribed people earlier and for a wider range of problems afaik...

Where was this posted? This isn't the New York Times, we wan't sources!

Hell, I like the idea of getting my AV software through The Vole, NAV is an evil little bugger when it comes to updating ("You must restart your computer, drop everything now or prepare to lose your work when you close this window. [OK]")

saaya
05-14-2005, 07:52 AM
hmmm i think it was posted on theinq... now that i think of it... nvm what i said :rolleyes: :D

recons
05-14-2005, 08:28 AM
I dont see anything wrong with that.

Windows is an Operating System. Nothing wrong with charging extra for firewall/av/spyware protection.

Hopefully competition will make things more secure.