PDA

View Full Version : Odd temps?

EmoAddict15
05-12-2005, 06:48 PM
In my sig it tells you what I have for my water cooling setup, except one things missing out of it... I bought this really generic radiator from crazypc, http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9309,
I don't know if thats part of the issue or not. I'm getting about like 42 C or idle and about 50 C full load. Is this normal? I'm also just using straight up tap water with no coolant/anti-freeze(isn't "coolant" just relabelled anti-freeze?), which I heard isn't the best idea and I should use a mixture of distilled water and some coolant, but will I see a signifcant decrease in temps? The 120mm fan on the radiator is the standard fan that comes with the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case. I don't know if these temps are normal? I see people hitting like 28 C idle and 34 C full load. So somethings not right but I think the distilled water would only take maybe like 4-5 C off? Is the radiator just sh :banana: tty? If so, I guess I'll have to save up more $$$ and get those black ice radiator's everyones talking about. I was checking the sticky over here and it seemed the Hydor L35 was the best performance for your buck and was decently quiet.

Anyways just give me your $0.02 on what's going on and if switching to distilled water will help a lot I'll go ahead and do that, I'm just lazy :-P but will a new radiator make a HUGE difference... I'm not ready to spend like 80 dollars a radiator lol.

As always, Thanks in advance,
Frank

csimon
05-12-2005, 07:05 PM
your temps aren't so bad IMO.
Additives won't decrease temps they'll only prevent corrosion and algae from and stuff like that. Once the corrosion and algae begin your temps will begin to worsen at that point.
If you want better temps one way would be to add more air flow through the radiator.
Got pics?

Special_K
05-13-2005, 04:50 AM
dunno about the rad, dunno about Intel temps, but if it was AMD64 @ 40°C idle on water, that would be BAD!

mebe try a standoff on your fan to get more performance from it

EmoAddict15
05-13-2005, 06:47 AM
standoff on my fan?

Turok
05-13-2005, 07:38 AM
That looks like a really low profile radiator.
Its only a 120mm x 120mm rad. and its not that thick.
Try getting a heatcore from weapon. If you have about $200, get the Monster Core like me. I highly recommend it. Maybe 8x the area of the fan you are showing

Special_K
05-13-2005, 09:08 AM
standoff, spacer, shroud, whatever - anything to move the fan away from right next to the radiator to nullify the deadspace these fans have

most people just gut an old fan of the same size and mount it between the rad and the working fan