PDA

View Full Version : Prime (Blend)Stable means nothing

Athlon64OC
05-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Guys,im done with it im running my 3200+ on a DFI Ultra D,On water i hit 2800mhz with a voltage of 1.570.Its no problem to run prime Blend,,,i run it 24 hours no errors nothing stable as hell....
But i get random reboots in windows...and everygame will hang within few hours....
I just want to say if your Cpu is Primestable,,,,wont say its game stable also...
No i lowered clockspeed down to 2750mhz voltgae 1.500 that seems rock stable...prime Blend,Games erything

Just want to let you know

dexth77
05-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Guys,im done with it im running my 3200+ on a DFI Ultra D,On water i hit 2800mhz with a voltage of 1.570.Its no problem to run prime Blend,,,i run it 24 hours no errors nothing stable as hell....
But i get random reboots in windows...and everygame will hang within few hours....
I just want to say if your Cpu is Primestable,,,,wont say its game stable also...
No i lowered clockspeed down to 2750mhz voltgae 1.500 that seems rock stable...prime Blend,Games erything

Just want to let you know

If you want to check for CPU stability, run prime with small FTFs, that will fail almost immediately if your cpu's not stable. Blend test a lot of ram and less on cpu. For memory stability, run memtest.

Lithan
05-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Prime Blend stable is always 100% stable for me. Of course I run Small's when I only need to test cpu, but when I'm testing a new overclock I use blend, and if it passes, I'm good.

dnottis
05-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Prime Blend stable is always 100% stable for me. Of course I run Small's when I only need to test cpu, but when I'm testing a new overclock I use blend, and if it passes, I'm good.

Small FFTs works the CPU much harder and is a good, quick indication of overall stability. If an oc isn't stable Small FFT will stop within a few mins. I've also been able to run blend with no problem and have it die using Small FFT. Blend does test ram, etc. Fire up Speedfan or your temp monitoring of choice and watch your temps in blend and Small FFT, most the time CPU temps in blend are low - running Super PI or small FFTs will run your CPU much hotter.

Dean

[timko]
05-11-2005, 06:54 AM
For me, once I've achieved Blend mode and SuperPi 32Mb stable my overclocks have been rock solid with everything else I throw at it, including heavy 3D gaming.

This has held true for me and my previous SocketA systems and now my current A64 rig.

Athlon64OC
05-11-2005, 07:02 AM
But how is it possible to run blend for 24 hours...and games chrash real soon...??

Jimbo Mahoney
05-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Graphics card or Graphics-related settings?

PSU?

Lithan
05-11-2005, 07:10 AM
That'd be my guess, or a complex motherboard/heat related issue. Another good possibility is PSU crapping out/too weak.

qui
05-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Priority priority priority!, you need to ensure your prime is running at higher priority to test stability, althougbI must admit that blend is a pretty useless test, when I blend with 10 priority my processor usage is very low, like in the 10's, however when i switch on the small FTU's boy does that rocket up the cpu usage and temps.

Athlon64OC
05-11-2005, 07:26 AM
So if i get it clear.....

if im able to run prime Small Ftu,s for few hours then my system wil be gamestable too?

Thks again

Flib
05-11-2005, 08:37 AM
should be!

if it isn't then your psu is too weak or your motherboard runs to hot.
(because of all the power the gfx card needs)

Rippthrough
05-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Could also be a BIOS problem, I know a few of the tictac BIOS's for the AN7 caused random stability probs for some people.
When they worked they were fantastic though :)

blinky
05-11-2005, 08:55 AM
you guys are making presumptions

for gaming stability testing why would you test prime at all?
do any games you know calculate prime numbers?

doesnt it seems logical that for game testing youd play the toughest game u have, or a couple of em and see if its stable or crashes

am i the only one who thinks the best stability testing is doing what u normally do thats stressful for ur system?

Agr3sive
05-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Your right Blinky, but if a comp fails prime before the first hour, its highly unlikely that it will last a long session on a new game, plus imagine getting to the last level and it crashes, thats why I use prime.

dnottis
05-11-2005, 09:14 AM
doesnt it seems logical that for game testing youd play the toughest game u have, or a couple of em and see if its stable or crashes?

Umm no, since the games are mostly GPU dependent they arent going to work your CPU nearly as much as something like calculating prime numbers which is stressing the CPU and demands flawless precision. You can call it gaming stable but it's not truely stable.

As for the other guy with the gaming issues and non prime issues - sounds like you may have some other issue, PSU or something else. Your CPU overclock sounds stable as long as you can prime for 12+ hours and superpi 32, I'd look elsewhere.

Dean

Athlon64OC
05-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I think the problem is the Dfi Ultra D...mobo temps getting real high when stressing....
Mobo temp reading is above 60???

Is that bad.....what can i do about it....?????

J-Mag
05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Just outta curiosity, are all the games you play Single Player or Multi Player...

I was having some problems with the Nvidia GB port and one of their older driver sets (6.37 or 6.39 I believe). I thought it was my OC pushing it too far, but then when I switched to a Single Player game everythign worked fine...