PDA

View Full Version : Algea Formation

koei
05-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Been running this machine watercooled for some time now and when I opened the case yestarday I noticed the tubing was a little cloudy inside, especially on the wall of the tubing. I had a small ratio of Formula1 antifreeze in there, but does this suggest that it wasn't enough? I am not entiringly sure if it is algea but it seemed like the most likely conclusion.

MaxxxRacer
05-10-2005, 01:18 PM
was it white or green? the white stuff ive seen when i dont have enough zerex in there. dont know if its algae or not (algae is usually green afaik).

to get rid of it you are gonna need to take a toothbrush or something to clean out the inside of the tubing.

after that i suggest putting some more coolant in there.

AMD-me
05-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Throw some nice algecide in ther and let that stuff burn :D

koei
05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
It's white. I drained some water out (with a tube and my mouth.... antifreeze tastes funky) I added more antifreeze in there. Hopefully that should get rid of it.

As for algeacide, where could I get something like that?

spatman
05-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Try 5 to 10 drops of Iodine per Qt. that might do a good job at killing it if its growth.

WeStSiDePLaYa
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
i got build up like that in my tubes, i put a few drops of dawn and a few drops of no-water hand sanitizer in my water, let in run around a while to get it circulated, and then kinda pushed on my tubes a bit, like squeezed them, washed it all away.

Nettwerk
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
It's white. I drained some water out (with a tube and my mouth.... antifreeze tastes funky) I added more antifreeze in there. Hopefully that should get rid of it.

As for algeacide, where could I get something like that?

ewe dont put antifreeze anywhere near your mouth man, you could have a really bad week :slobber:

koei
05-10-2005, 02:56 PM
ewe dont put antifreeze anywhere near your mouth man, you could have a really bad week :slobber:

Lol, I have a fillport on a T-line, kinda trouble some to drain the water so i have some small tubes and... Anyways, it just touched my lips so I am still alive at this moment.

koei
05-10-2005, 02:57 PM
i got build up like that in my tubes, i put a few drops of dawn and a few drops of no-water hand sanitizer in my water, let in run around a while to get it circulated, and then kinda pushed on my tubes a bit, like squeezed them, washed it all away.

Did you drain the liquid after? or just left the dawn in there circulating?

MaxxxRacer
05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
interesting strategy west side. i will have to give that a try sometime.

the only thing is that the pump might not like the soap so much. if you get foam in the pump it will cause problems.

WeStSiDePLaYa
05-10-2005, 03:13 PM
interesting strategy west side. i will have to give that a try sometime.

the only thing is that the pump might not like the soap so much. if you get foam in the pump it will cause problems.

i just left the dawn in their, it pretty much acts as a sufricant(sp?). been running like that on my mcp 600 for almost a year now. do not see any kind of bubbles at all in the water, just make 100% sure there are no trapped air bubbles in your system when you use this. only use it after the loop has been bled very well, as any air pockets will make bubbles in your lines. i "think" it may help my temperaturs by a degree or so, as seeing I had slightly lower load temps across my gpu, cpu, and nb. nut can not confirm as they are all onboard sensors.

MaxxxRacer
05-10-2005, 03:17 PM
adding soap will only hurt ur temps. it really CANT improve your temps. thats the god ole' stock sensors for you.

Sickapotamus
05-14-2005, 03:30 PM
i've got some of the white film build up in my tubes and in the waterblocks too. i'll try the dawn cleaning method and post what the outcome is

jellybeard999
05-14-2005, 03:40 PM
running a very weak bleach / water mix for a day, then draining, rinsing with distilled water only for a day, then fill properly seems to do the trick ;)

Sickapotamus
05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
hmmm i might try that. the dawn wouldn't even clean out the resivior so i tried a few cleaners and lime-away by far worked the best. i'm going to run that for a few days to let it get all of it out. temps are about 5F degrees higher with this mix too.