PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Raid Configuration?

nghisus
05-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Hey guys just wondering but. I have two HDD's on a SATA Raid 0, and I have two HDD's on a IDE Raid 0. What would be the best configuration for the IDE drives? Should they be on one ribbon or should they be on seperate ribbons? Right now I have them on seperate ribbons and each ribbon has a Burner on it. Should I put the burners on one line and the IDE HDD's on the other? If so what should the master/slave settings be?

gclg2000
05-11-2005, 04:15 AM
For RAID it depends on what application your trying to use them for. And its not tech savy to put optical drives on the same ribbon cable as a HDD, for it will slow the HDD drive down and hence make your IDE stripe pointless, since striping is intended for speed.

And btw, Raid "0" has the highest failure rate (IMO) of all the raids, it doesn't offer and type of securtiy, but if you don't care and will just format and reload each time then who cares rights?

Gogar
05-13-2005, 07:45 PM
DON'T put two IDE drives that you use in a RAID config on the same ribbon it will KILL performance!!! Also with other RAID levels...... wait.. before i go on.. what is this thread doing here?!?!? this is the overclocking section, and you're going on about RAID???

nghisus
05-16-2005, 04:09 AM
It's Q&A, if you don't think it's appropriate to answer you reserve your right to ignore :)

mike
05-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Are you trying to creat a software stripe?

cirthix
05-20-2005, 11:40 PM
ide raid isnt worth it. sata is, scsi is, but ide isnt.

Reflex1
05-23-2005, 07:33 AM
ide raid isnt worth it. sata is, scsi is, but ide isnt.

why isn't IDE raid worth it? ...it bloody free extra performance basically!