PDA

View Full Version : idea for cooling....

buff
05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Has anybody ever tried to use LOX ( liquid Oxygen )
for cooling? Reason being, I may be able to get some, and its really cold stuff.....but dangerous :nono:

any thoughts?

blinky
05-09-2005, 10:29 PM
i saw some liquid oxygen next to some liquid nitrogen the other day

buff
05-09-2005, 10:50 PM
okay.......

Jort
05-10-2005, 05:54 AM
isn't it explosive?

G H Z
05-10-2005, 08:22 AM
By itself no, but remember O2 is a catalyst. Its not as cold as Liquid N2.

LOX freeze/boils points:

-219°/-183°

LN2 freeze/boil points
-210°/-196°

Should work pretty good.

twilius_basic
05-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Yep, the two negative factors I see in using it are

A: Not quite as cold as LN2

B: If you forget and light up a cigarette, your entire neighborhood goes kablooey

BigPanda
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Yep, the two negative factors I see in using it are

A: Not quite as cold as LN2

B: If you forget and light up a cigarette, your entire neighborhood goes kablooey
none of which are too bad

cirthix
05-22-2005, 01:26 AM
dont use the oxygen, thats dangerous stuff!

gloatlizard
05-24-2005, 03:06 AM
yeah it's extremely instable,it would be 2 much dangerous

(sin)morpheus
05-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Oxygen unstable? Where were you in chemistry class? :D

I do agree though, it would be dangerous doing that inside. I'd recommend LN2 simply because of it's colder temps. If you really have the burning desire to use it, use it outdoors where it won't build up.

gloatlizard
05-25-2005, 06:44 AM
oxygen is unstable in not the chemical meaning of the word;)

trance565
05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
lol, ya, any tiny little spark = kablooie

CrazyXP1700
05-25-2005, 06:14 PM
and im notorious for traces to break, start arcing and eventually catch on fire...

it's happended to my 350mhz AMD K62 while typing an english paper freshman year high school, my GF4 MX440 while improperly v-modding it, my NF7 when i hooked up front panel audio wrong (Still works though!)

that liquid oxygen can just stay away!

flclisgreat
12-30-2006, 12:16 AM
a spark + lox = nothing.

the_new_guy
12-30-2006, 06:48 PM
electrical wiring + oxygen = burnt house

T_M
12-30-2006, 09:25 PM
it is amazing what burns in oxygen rich environments ;)

NickS
12-30-2006, 09:57 PM
it is amazing what burns in oxygen rich environments ;)

Everything? lol

prosk8
12-30-2006, 10:33 PM
WHY YOU DONT FHING ABOUT liquid AIR OR liquid HELUM:fact:

Stapler
12-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Liquid oxygen's a bad idea, and I think it's been covered why. DOn't really see the point to liquid helium either, it wouldn't be any better than LN2 as Conroes run best around -130C.

the_new_guy
12-31-2006, 12:04 AM
if you want lower temps that LN2, i think Vacuum boiling LN2 is the best choice.

make a sealed pot with a outlet for a vacuum pump and and inlet from where u can fill it and seal it shut.

M.Beier
12-31-2006, 03:37 AM
I would do it, oxygen is very dangerous, its xtremely flamable..

WHY YOU DONT FHING ABOUT liquid AIR OR liquid HELUM:fact:

Liquid AIR??
A mix of nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, CO2 etc..??? Why should that do you any good?

liquid helium, you have absolutly no idea how pricey that is.. 350$ @ 15liters which is usually the miniumum amount being sold..

Omastar
12-31-2006, 03:41 AM
flcl really loves reviving dead threads. Hey maybe that's why you keep getting banned at EOCF, among other personality shortcomings!

Unknown_road
12-31-2006, 07:27 AM
a spark + lox = nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU-ULkw_J9w

not even with liquid oxygen

SoddemFX
12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
He he! Kaboom! :D

Liquified helium is hugely expensive, hugely dangerous, also nothing would work at that temperature.

Liquid air is possible, but it's more expensive than liquified nitrogen just because everyone else uses liquid nitrogen :)

Tom

HaxR3
01-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Liquid Oxygen poured onto a heatsource (CPU) xD

Not clever tbh.

flclisgreat
01-01-2007, 12:56 PM
oxygen in any form is not flammable, it helps (an @ss load) to burn flamable stuff, but it isn't flamable

Stapler
01-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Nobody is saying that the oxygen itself is flammable, but in an oxygen rich environment, just about everything else is.

SoddemFX
01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
oxygen in any form is not flammable, it helps (an @ss load) to burn flamable stuff, but it isn't flamable

Apollo 1 :rolleyes:

Tom

wdrzal
01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Apollo 1 :rolleyes:

Tom

oxygen does not burn,it is a oxidizer and makes any fuel burn extremely faster and hotter. Aluminum will burn like wood in a pure oxygen environment.There where many materials that added to the exothermic reactions that made the fire worse,including the space suites them selfs. These were mostly all removed or revised before future flights.This was just a training exercise,not that it mattered,we still lost 3 lives.

Apollo1 used 100% oxygen environment pressured to 1 atmosphere 14.5psi,even that the astronauts were in their space suits breathing pure o2.

the capsule door was in 2 parts,inner door and outer door. original design was both doors opened outward with explosive bolts. Changing this was the fatal mistake.The inner door opened inward and the outer out ward. At the time is was thought the internal pressure would help hold the inner door closed tightly on the seal. Once a fire started from a electrical short in pure oxygen, the pressure rose so rapidly it was impossibly to open the inner door. In fact the pressure ultimately ruptured the capsule.

Had they stuck to the original design, the explosive bolts could have been blown allowing the pure o2 to escape along with additional pressure and toxic fumes.

IIRC the astronauts lived for about 20 seconds and died from smoke inhalation ,even that they were burnt severely. If both doors could have been blown outward in the first few seconds,they all probably would have lived as their suits would not have been compromised by the pressure,heat and fire. Even that many changes where made before the next mission

Many things engineers know now were debated in length then,they all had their positive and negative aspects.Much was learned from that accident.I can remember the news cast.:(

ozzimark
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Liquified helium is hugely expensive, hugely dangerous, also nothing would work at that temperature.
helium is actually pretty safe. good luck getting it to burn or explode... ;)

SoddemFX
01-05-2007, 09:48 AM
helium is actually pretty safe. good luck getting it to burn or explode... ;)

It doesn't have to be flammable or an oxydiser to be dangerous, the danger with liquid helium isn't even the boiling temperature but more the molecule size, it penetrates most materials.

I was told that if you were to spill liquid helium on your hand, your hand would explode due to the penetration and expansion. Nitrogen just boils off quickly, helium penetrates.

That's why it's dangerous :D

Tom

Frederik
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
He has a boiling point of 4,22°K and a standard enthalpie of vaporisation of 0,084 kJ/mol He. N2 boils at 77,35°K and has a H(vap) of 5,586 kJ/mol.

I the He is already vaporized as soon as it comes near the human skin, because of the extremly low vaporisation enthalpie needed. So no liquified molecule will be able to penetratie the skin. (unless you pour a whole ucket over your arm)
The only danger I can see is the fast expansion of the gas (known as explosion;) ) or putting your hand in the dewar that's keeping the liquified gas.
Or am I missing something here?:confused:

ozzimark
01-05-2007, 07:18 PM
It doesn't have to be flammable or an oxydiser to be dangerous, the danger with liquid helium isn't even the boiling temperature but more the molecule size, it penetrates most materials.

I was told that if you were to spill liquid helium on your hand, your hand would explode due to the penetration and expansion. Nitrogen just boils off quickly, helium penetrates.

That's why it's dangerous :D

Tom
thanks for clarifying, but i wonder why it doesn't boil off like liquid nitrogen does :confused2

SoddemFX
01-06-2007, 04:38 AM
I don't know, i think at that low a temperature things don't behave as we expect.

There's a famous picture of liquid helium penerating through a ceramic vase like water through a colander, i googled it but no joy...

Tom

wdrzal
01-06-2007, 05:25 AM
By itself no, but remember O2 is a catalyst. Its not as cold as Liquid N2.

LOX freeze/boils points:

-219°/-183°

LN2 freeze/boil points
-210°/-196°

Should work pretty good.

Under No Circumstances should you use liquid oxygen, Liquid O2 in a refrigeration system = catastrophic :caution: EXPLOSION :caution: as its will explode when it pressurized with oil. Same goes for oxygen in its vapor state.Liquid oxygen(pure oxygen) will make almost anything burn violently fast & hot,including aluminum & steel. Just the oil from your hands on the regulator stem if used as a gas will explode. Its way to dangerous ,especially since their are better options.

Liquid helium will absorb thru the skin causing a embolism ,and death,:caution:

IFMU
01-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Ooook.

An old thread that had made its point raised from the dead....

IMO...

BACK TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL WITH YOU!~!

Dead Thread