PDA

View Full Version : Other liquids for cooling

BrokenWall
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
i have heard using veggie oil, and my dad even had the idea of a lightweight motoroil for a watercooling system, would either of these make it cool better?

csimon
05-09-2005, 06:50 PM
have you looked into fluidxp+? It feels like oil.

specialblend218
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
When talking about computers, NOTHING cools better than water. It is the benchmark everything else is measured against. It has a thermal coefficient of "1". Anything you add to water will negatively effect it's ability to absorb heat. Additives such as Water Wetter, Zerex and antifreeze with a "anti-foaming" ingredient will lessen the negative impact, but not improve heat absorption. In rare cases, at very high temps and pressure anti foaming agents will minutely improve the heat transfer of water, mixed with a heavy mix of glycol it will significantly improve heat transfer. Neither of these conditions will ever happen in a comp.

The trick is to add just enough additives to prevent galvanic corrosion and biological growth. And as little as possible to maintain heat transfer. Generally between 5 and 10 percent additives mixed with distilled water, and changed on a regular basis, is optimal.

I recommend the above mix for several reasons. One, it's cheap and readily available. Two, it's proven itself to work very well over several years of constant use and will not damage equipment. You can spend more money on high priced additives, but you won't be able to measure a significant difference over cheap antifreeze.

MaxxxRacer
05-09-2005, 10:30 PM
^^^ What he said.. woot i dont need to write a long post!! :p:

csimon
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
how about liquid metal cooling ...nanocoolers?

Special_K
05-11-2005, 09:50 AM
for that same reason, the volume of water (in its liquid state) is also pretty constant and so wont pressurise your system

this is an interesting table - http://www.dow.com/glycerine/resources/table13.htm

if you could determine the temp of your water, you could modify the ratio to increase performance, non?

Butcher_
05-12-2005, 05:08 AM
for that same reason, the volume of water (in its liquid state) is also pretty constant and so wont pressurise your system

this is an interesting table - http://www.dow.com/glycerine/resources/table13.htm

if you could determine the temp of your water, you could modify the ratio to increase performance, non?
You could if you use glycerine, which I don't think many (any?) do.

RaptorRaider
05-12-2005, 05:14 AM
Actually wouldn't replacing normal water with 'heavy water' be slightly better for cooling?
Deuterium has a higher specific heat capacity. Viscosity is slightly lower though.

Holst
05-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Deuterium Oxide would work better than water.

But I think even a couple of litres for a watercooling rig would be quite expensive..

Unless you have a supplier?

Nubius
05-12-2005, 01:21 PM
what about a loop with mercury running through it :p

EnJoY
05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Yea, but then we'd never hear leak reports because the people who got them would be poisoned to death.

Turok
05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, Mercury is very dangerous and evaporates really fast. It gets absorbed through your skin fast and intoxicate your blood, and when evaporating you can inhale it through your lungs and get intoxicated also. This is some pritty dangerous stuff :caution:

It would have to be in a air sealed loop.

Im guessing the safest way would be to have the case in a air tight room and whenever you get in you put on your special suit or something like that.

Would be nice to hear from a professional on this, tho.
Probably someone with experience could try it. :D

saratoga
05-12-2005, 05:06 PM
what about a loop with mercury running through it :p

Too heavy, extremely low specific heat capacity. Water is better.

Plus it won't kill you ;)

Nubius
05-12-2005, 08:05 PM
lol, I wasn't really serious, and yet people attack it as if it were a feasible option, I thought the tongue sticking out would give that away :p <---- see :D

Butcher_
05-13-2005, 03:46 AM
People have seriously suggested it though. Bottom line is mercury is far too dangerous for home use.

Cathar
05-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Actually wouldn't replacing normal water with 'heavy water' be slightly better for cooling?
Deuterium has a higher specific heat capacity. Viscosity is slightly lower though.

Lower viscosity is actually a good thing (when it comes to cooling).

RaptorRaider
05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Lower viscosity is actually a good thing (when it comes to cooling).
I never realised that; it makes sense when you check the weights and measures: lower Pa should of course be easier to push around for a pump.

The stupid thing is however I have no idea where I came up with the idea that deuterium's viscosity is lower. Not to mention that deuterium is of course 'heavier' than normal water. :brick:

Wikipedia (http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Deuterium) claims the viscosity is 1,3 x 10^-6 Pa s; this is more than 'normal' water.

Turok
05-13-2005, 02:57 PM
also, how do you release the heat if everything is metal? Wont the heat spread fast? And since its heavy, what pump can push push it?

Nubius
05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
I've been trying to get a red color for my liquid............I've decided to go with human blood, I think that'll be good for cooling.