PDA

View Full Version : Overclocked Hardware, Can u tell?

Naasar
12-10-2002, 11:17 AM
i was talkking to my friend who just got a falcon northwest p4 3.06ghz with 1gig of 1066 ram and a 9700 pro. he was saying that they do not believe in overclocking and that if he were to overclock his video or cpu, falcon northwest could tell and void his warranty. is this true about being able to tell if u overclock ur video or cpu? i realize that if there is apparent heat damage, then of course one could tell, but what if no heat damage is present? i think they are just maybe scaring him away from OCing his nice a$$ rig. anyone have any input on this?:confused:

JCviggen
12-10-2002, 11:19 AM
no, they cant tell. clock speed leaves no marks ..... of course, if you"d ever need the warranty , do clock it back or reset the BIOS... lol

Naasar
12-10-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by JCviggen
no, they cant tell. clock speed leaves no marks ..... of course, if you"d ever need the warranty , do clock it back or reset the BIOS... lol

i thought so. i mean yes if there is apparent heat marks or something. thanks JC.

I like ur new home btw. :toast:

Naasar
12-10-2002, 11:24 AM
oh, my friend just read ur reply and he said it was ATI who emailed him and said this.

how could they tell u did a software oc? makes no sense.:confused:

sysfailur
12-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Ya it's untraceable. Thank heavens :)

Tweaked!
12-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Scare tactics! They figure if one out of one hundred actually listens, then they've saved money.

SupaMan
12-10-2002, 12:16 PM
lol, they and voodoo both OC thier video cards....standard.

JCviggen
12-10-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Naasar
oh, my friend just read ur reply and he said it was ATI who emailed him and said this.

how could they tell u did a software oc? makes no sense.:confused:

Well they cant, and as Tweaked! said, its scare tactics. Technically speaking you DO void your warranty by overclocking, but its completely invisible and untracable.

KnightElite
12-10-2002, 12:47 PM
And it should be done. Wasting of clock speed is a sin, I tell you! :banana:!

Naasar
12-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
And it should be done. Wasting of clock speed is a sin, I tell you! :banana:!

thats what i say.:D

SupaMan
12-10-2002, 01:54 PM
bah, ATi lies. I've RMAed an OC-killed radeon and my friends RMAed a couple OC-killed tbirds

Method Man
12-10-2002, 06:05 PM
I think overclocking is a save of money....I got my 2400+ running at almost 2500Mhz @2.2-2.3V and that beats any AMD that they sell sofar :).I figure I saved myself $300 or so AND ITS DAMN FUN TO OVERCLOCK!!!

I also like the look of how watercooling looks through my Lian-Li PC65B:toast:

Wolf
12-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Hey man how long have you been running your 2400+ at those voltages? Mine hits a wall at 2550 at 2.2v and it won't overclock anymore than that even at 2.3v. I just backed mine down to 2.15v and run it at 12.5x200. Luckily this chip has a 3 year warranty so I'm willing to ride it out at 2.15v and see what happens. Something tells me these chips aren't as fragile as the p4 chips but I guess time will tell the real story.

antipop
12-11-2002, 12:35 AM
I got a friend who busted his mobo and xp while trying to unlock it, he just cleaned everything (you could always notice that the L1 were brighter due to the silicon compound) went to the shop and played the noob and they exchanged him everything

Mentaly
12-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by antipop
I got a friend who busted his mobo and xp while trying to unlock it, he just cleaned everything (you could always notice that the L1 were brighter due to the silicon compound) went to the shop and played the noob and they exchanged him everything

Hi

Well its ppl like you who make it hard for the ordinary man to get a replacement, take it like a man when you break something in Ocìng, buy a new replacement instead of making other ppl pay for your mistake.

Menty

DeBastaard
12-11-2002, 02:19 AM
Maybe they have an undercover ATI-Agent here on XtremeForums :rolleyes: hehe

Marci
12-11-2002, 04:10 AM
The only thing that can be indentified is if a part has been over-volted, as you can examine the chips etc for stress induced by current. They design the chips with a finite lifespan of xxx amount of years. The chip degrades with excess voltage if it isn't cooled correctly. That's the only way they can tell. If your cooling is up to the job, then it reduces the degradation...

antipop
12-11-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Mentaly
Hi

Well its ppl like you who make it hard for the ordinary man to get a replacement, take it like a man when you break something in Ocìng, buy a new replacement instead of making other ppl pay for your mistake.

Menty I've still broke anything while oc'ing, in this case i don't know what happened, i wasn't there. I don't think ordinary man have problem to get a replacement, i mean i've dealt with some company and each time the rma went smoothly

Schitzo
12-11-2002, 06:41 AM
Don't forget, that once R&D costs and expenses are out of the way, it's not THAT expensive to make a CPU. If they examined every dead one they got back to determine cause of death, it would cost a fortune.

I know intel is a little stricter than AMD as far as RMAs go, but intel doesn't have the cracking/burning up problems.

SupaMan
12-11-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Schitzo
I know intel is a little stricter than AMD as far as RMAs go, but intel doesn't have the cracking/burning up problems.

*COUGH* 1.13GHz P3 *COUGH*

Naasar
12-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SupaMan
*COUGH* 1.13GHz P3 *COUGH*

yea, i remember when intel quickly pulled that chip from the market. hehehe:D