PDA

View Full Version : Weird PCP&C 510 problem

NajZ
05-09-2005, 03:27 AM
My 510 DLX was working like a pro ever since i got it. Now for some reason, i was doing the vdimm mod on my dfi infinity and i tried to boot up, but no boot.

So i thought i messed the vdimm mod up so i detached it. still no boot, actually it would come on for a second and then cut out. I checked all the voltages, they seemed ok.

Then i checked one of the molex connectors and was very surprised. my 12v rail was at 14.5v!!!!! and my 5v rail was at 6.3v!!! I turned all the pots down to their minium values but i still got huge overvolts. 12v ---> 13.8v and 5v ---> 5.9v :stick: what they hell is going on here

This explained why the board wouldn't boot, probably some OVP kicking in to respond to the high voltages.

I am completely baffed :confused: I check inside for anything shorting some components but nothing. weird or what. I emailed PCP&C tech support to see what they come up with.

I was wondering whether you guys out there have experienced such a problem and whether there is a solution other than spending my life savings shipping this monster across the pond to PCP&C.

p.s. mods, is this the right section, i didnt know were to stick this

GazC
05-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Good luck in getting a reply to your e-mail, you'll need it!

Filter
05-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Good luck in getting a reply to your e-mail, you'll need it!

why do you say that? i thought they had good customer support?

masterofpuppets
05-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Did you do anything with the pots? Check to see if anything is shorted in your mobo, it's a long shot, but when you removed the mod, you may have bridged something..

Agr3sive
05-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I really thought that PCP+C were a really good company and that the 510 was the best psu you could get, but all I hear at the moment is bad things. Do you think its just a bad batch? I was thinking of getting one.

EMC2
05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
--- Naj ---

Have you tried the PS hooked to another MB or a different PS hooked to the unmodded MB? Those voltages sound like you have no load on the PS... they must have a minimum load on the 5V line to properly regulate.

--- others ---

FYI... GazC had a bad experience of some kind with no email responses... which is strange because I've never had a problem getting a response from them within 2 days of an email :confused:

GazC
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
why do you say that? i thought they had good customer support?

They seem to take far better care of their US customers, if you live anywhere else in the world it seems to don't mean :banana::banana::banana::banana: to them.

NajZ
05-10-2005, 01:48 AM
--- Naj ---

Have you tried the PS hooked to another MB or a different PS hooked to the unmodded MB? Those voltages sound like you have no load on the PS... they must have a minimum load on the 5V line to properly regulate.

Thanks for that info, i carried the PS all the way to my friends house to check on his DFI NF4, and guess what, all the rails were perfect.
AHHH that means ive got another dead Infinity :slapass:
At least my PS is fine :banana:

GazC
05-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Hopefully your PSU didn't kill the mobo.

EMC2
05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
:rolleyes: @ Gaz

--- Naj ---

If you have a magnifying glass, check not only the area you did the mod, but area around it for solder splashes/solder shorts.

NajZ
05-11-2005, 05:14 AM
So what your saying is that something on the 5v (& 12v) circuitry on the mobo is messed up so thats why im getting high rails. I checked on an old fortron psu i forgot i had (145w) stacked away and the exact same problem with the rails occurred.

Check this, i tried the PS with my other dead DFI LPuB and i got the same sky rocket rails, so maybe both mobos are suffering from the same problem. Also for the short time that the power is on before it cuts out, the southbridge heatsink temp goes through the roof, i couldnt even touch it even tho it was on for a few seconds, nearly scolded me. Everything else is cool apart from that region.

oh btw, the tech support guys emailed saying that the rails can't go that high anyway, because of the OVP in the PS.

This is what they said in the email;

Sorry, but if the voltages were actually at this level in the supply it would not power up at all. We are not sure what the calibration error is but there is over voltage protection on all rails and it is extremely unlikely that protection circuits would fail on all three when the voltages are at this level for each rail.

EMC2
05-11-2005, 04:38 PM
It could be a prob on any of the rails... but end result is 5V rail gets FUBAR'd.

If your bridge HS is getting that hot, sounds like a definite short on something hooked to it...

You could set your meter to measure resistance, then check between each of the supply rails to ground to try to help isolate it (with the PS disconnected and the battery pulled out). Measure it both ways (negative lead on ground, then positive lead on ground). If one of the rails is shorted to ground, you'll read the same thing both ways, and it'll be less than an ohm (or whatever your meter reads when you touch the two leads to each other).

Peace :toast:

gr8golf
05-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Hopefully your PSU didn't kill the mobo.

Dude - that is some kind of one man vendetta you are running against PCP&C. :slapass:

GazC
05-14-2005, 04:45 AM
Dude - that is some kind of one man vendetta you are running against PCP&C. :slapass:

um, my 1st PCP&C actually did fry my motherboard. :slap:

and EMC2, roll your eyes all you like. gr8golf is damn right I have a Vendetta against a company that doesnt have the decency to reply to my e-mails and by way of their silence failed to honour their much vaunted five year warranty.

If you want an idea of how I feel, imagine you forked out £140 or $280 on allegedly the best hardware of its type and after a couple of weeks it goes bank, taking with it your motherboard, hard drives and a DVD drive. You get in touch with tech support repeatedly, only to get ignored. After failing to get tech support you give up and RMA through the Re-seller, only to find the hardware to be a reconditioned Ex-rma unit that had not been repaired properly. You e-mail the company for tech support and hear bugger all in return. Eventually, you give up and wash your hands of the company after you are forced to repair the item yourself and sell it for a loss.

To be more blunt I'm :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing pissed with PCP&C. I don't care how many fanbois love them, the fact is that they ripped me off.

EMC2
05-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Let's take this discussion where it belongs... follow me here (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=862376#post862376) Gaz :)

GazC
05-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Follow the link for an attack on my integrity guys :)

nightic
07-04-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm going to have to spring to PC P&C's defence here.
As a UK customer who has now had cause to test their customer services twice, I am rather impressed.

Most recently a couple of weeks ago when unfortunately my 510 Express up and died (something to do with the heatwave perhaps?).
Upon calling their international number (there's no excuse not to do this, UK-USA calls running 1-3pence are the norm, simply using a non-registration dial-through number (pennyphone, ratebuster etc etc) I was given an RMA number, their FedEx account details and instructions to arrange a collection at my convenience which I did for the next day.

6 business days later my repaired supply was back and at no cost to me, either for shipping (very welcome as the best airmail quote I could find was ~£36) or customs/excise fees (being that the supply was correctly listed as being a warranty replacement/repair).

Not to say your problem wasn't valid, Gaz, as you would rightly expect emails to be answered within a decent time-frame however with no replies forthcoming I would have thought a quick phone call should have been the next course of action.

Dave in Daytona
07-04-2005, 10:01 AM
The PC P&C's are the finest PC PSU's available & their customer support is a good deal better than average. :toast: