PDA

View Full Version : DFI SLI-DR + 2x1Gb OCZ = ?

FesterSilently
05-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey Y'all,

I'm strongly considering getting this memory: http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...N82E16820227210

...after I get my 3700+ San Diego, but I'm not sure:

a) what chips they use, or

b) how well they run with this board, or

c) how well 2 GBs runs on my setup (see sig for specs) (and I'm talkin' about getting 1T, tight timings, etc.)

I mean, they ARE OCZ's, they smell an AWFUL lot like TCCD's (They came out the same time as Plat rev.2's...similar model numbers), and they do have outSTANDing timings for such big (notoriously loose) sticks.

Just curious before dumping more money than I've got (as always).

Yours,
Fester :toast:

nordik
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Welcome to XS :woot:

When I clicked your link i got this:

"We are very sorry, the page that you requested does not exist.

Newegg.com has been undergoing many improvements recently, which required some pages to be moved. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for in one of these areas;"

B5I8
05-04-2005, 02:08 PM
I believe this is the correct link:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

Skip
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
read that entire review that is the first one there. it should be pretty informative as to how they perform. and since they are perforamance series i doubt they use more than 1 type of chip in them.

FesterSilently
05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Skip -

Yah...I *did* read that user review, but, though it glows, it in fact says nothing at all specific (about the memory).

I quote: "I can say without a doubt on my nforce4 sli ultra deluxe mobo that they are far superior..." Okay, great so far.

"I left my PC over-clocked at cas 2-3-2-11 1T for 24 hours..." Umm...overclocked at *what* speed? I mean, I'd like to know the HTT and all, but a basic FSB or something would suffice. :rolleyes: He continues "...for 24 hours of seventeen or bust..." What the hell is "24 hours of seventeen"?! SuperPi? Prime 95? 3dMark200x? Seventeen Monkeys, perhaps?

Next "...running 2533mhz on an athlon 64 3800...", which is great for the processor, but what's the multiplier set to? What's the FSB/HTT? He might be running the memory at stock speeds for all I know, oui?

Lastly "...except maybe TCCD sticks..." does that mean that these, in fact, are NOT TCCD's?

And Skip - what in my post made you think that I thought one might be able to shoehorn more than one type of memory chip onto a PCB? :confused: I've never heard of such a thing (which don't mean much, comin' from me, tho')

Anyway - has anyone had any experience/know anyone whose had experience with these sticks? Anyone able to find any reviews (*I* haven't)?

A Bear of Small Mind,
Fester

Skip
05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
no i didn't mean it that way, i meant that they probably only use 1 chip for that entire line of memory, not micron in kit, samsung in another, elixir in another.

2-3-2 could indicate that its using micron chips, which would be good for overclocking.

also i don't believe TCCD is available in 1GB sticks.

IvanAndreevich
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
They are NOT TCCD

Scrufdog
05-04-2005, 04:24 PM
these are basicly the same sticks as the Patriot Extreme Performance RAM that I have... 2x1024, dual Channel, 2-3-2-5-1T. They dont overclock very well with my 3000+ because its a CBBID(known crappy mem controller). I think the OCZ and Patriot will do well with a good cpu to back it up however.

FesterSilently
05-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I kinda *need* this amount of RAM...because I only got enough scratch for one rig (and I'm stupidly generous and give away/sell for cheap my upgrade parts to friends/family) I gotta use it both for gaming *and* work...which involves some CAD and some Photoshop. I also like to mess with Premiere and Lightwave quite a bit, so , yeah - this would definitely help. I figure this'll also help load all those huge maps for: Battlefield 1942; Half Life 2; Far Cry, etc., as well, yah?

Also, I figure if they've got such tight timings *already* at stock speed (2-3-2-6 at 200FSB) - they ARE OCZ's, they smell an AWFUL lot like TCCD's (They came out the same time as Plat rev.2's...similar model numbers) (Ivan - do you know what they *are*, then?), and they do have outSTANDing timings for such big (notoriously loose) sticks.

Couple these circumstantial suppositions with the factual new memory controller in my soon-to-be-purchased (like tomorrow or Friday) 3700+ San Diego, and I think I'll be good for 250, 2.5-3-3-8 or so, yah?

Yours,
Fester

P.S.

All apologies, Skip - I misunderstood your statement. :slapass:

conrad.maranan
05-04-2005, 09:41 PM
These types of threads belong in the Computer related open discussion (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31) section. Please make a note of this.

FesterSilently
05-04-2005, 09:45 PM
...truly? I wasn't sure.

Please move this thread with all due haste mein herr! ;) Seriously - I didn't know - move it at your leisure.

Thanks for the heads up.

Fester :banana:

FesterSilently
05-11-2005, 02:30 PM
I've *just* gotten my San Diego 3700+ today, so I'll be up late (when I get home from work/school) seeing what it can do with my current memory (2x512 OCZ Plat rev 2).

I'm STILL looking slaveringly at that pair of 2x1024 OCZ Plats (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K) at NewEgg and Monarch, though. Of course, I won't even have the money for that until I get paid agin...*next* month.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

Yours,
Fester :p

P.S.

Any recommendations for the optimal BIOS revision for the San Diego and my current (TCCD) sticks?

Thanks in advance.

Scrufdog
05-14-2005, 10:10 AM
have you gotten anywhere with the 1 gig sticks?