PDA

View Full Version : Strange Prometeia Problem.

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 10:33 AM
No my CPU is not dead.

this time, it's worked fine for over a week now.
been having great results.
then this morning, I leave to go take a shower and such.
come back and see my screen is dead.
I think it froze, so I reset.

nothing.

I power down and clear the CMOS.

nothing.

do it again.

Nothing.

so now I am thinking either the CPU or ram are dead.
I switch them out with some effort and get them on my second computer, with an Epox 8K3A+.

the ram is fine.

time to put the thoroughbred XP 1800 in the Epox.
take it outta the prometeia, only to find there is a small dab of water on the backside of the CPU.
scared....
I dry it out.
look closely, and it doesn't appear to be fried.
no funny smell, just a dab of water.
so I put it in my EPOX, and well it works...

so now, the CPU and Ram are both fine.
the motherboard appears to get power and theres no beeps or anything, everything works...
but it won't Post.

I will test the motherboard alone in a few hours, but I don't think theres anything wrong with it.
the last guess is the videocard.
which is a radeon 7000 PCI card.
I don't see what could be wrong with that...

anyone got some insights here?;)

Svenn
12-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Try another CPU in that Epox. I thought my motherboard was friend for the longest time because it would power up and not beep or anything, no matter what was in there. It ended up being a fried cpu, replaced it and all works fine now.

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 10:45 AM
oh no, its not the Epox.

ok, heres the set ups.

my main computer has a ABIT KD7 Raid in it, with a thoroughbred XP 1800.
it stopped posting a hour or so ago.

I took the XP 1800 outta the Abit KD7/Prometeia.
then place the CPU I thought was dead, the XP 1800 Tbred in my second computer.

my second computer is a Epox based board.

placing the CPU I thought was dead in the Epox the CPU still worked.

so now I can't figure out what the problem is...

Hardass
12-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Quite possible the KD7 died! Take it out and try it with a air setup to see if it boots. Did you have dielectric grease in socket?

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 11:56 AM
nope, no die electric grease.
I have no idea how to use it, or where to get it...

TheDude
12-09-2002, 01:08 PM
My money is on the Video Card dude...got another one to switch... to see if that's the prob?

Hardass
12-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Mine is on the mobo, you stated that there was water on the back of cpu. it may not of hurt the cpu but very well could have hurt mobo. You need to put grease in socket and pin holes. If you had condensation in that socket that means you did not have it totally sealed. Check mobo!

Svenn
12-09-2002, 01:15 PM
Hardass, I'm about to order a Prom, where can I get some dielectric grease? Is this something the Prom instructions say to do? I know it's good to do, just wondering if it's absolutely necessary.

Hardass
12-09-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Svenn
Hardass, I'm about to order a Prom, where can I get some dielectric grease? Is this something the Prom instructions say to do? I know it's good to do, just wondering if it's absolutely necessary.
I will get you a link to grease, in my opinion it is a must! Added prevention against condensation killing a cpu or mobo. I won,t install without it.:)

Svenn
12-09-2002, 01:20 PM
I had planned on it anyway. I was just wondering if since he didn't have any dielectric grease, if Chip-Con will say it's his fault if he fried something... And also, I've never done any condensation proofing before... I don't know exactly what to do and what not to do. It will help once I get a Prom and see the directions. I know I saw a guide on condensation proofing and what to do with the grease, I think I got it bookmarked on my other comp. I'll have to dig it up.

Hardass
12-09-2002, 01:22 PM
With the prom just follow directions and you can,t go wrong.:)

AKRedneck
12-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Kunaak, did you try putting the cpu back in the KD7 after removing it?

Reason I ask is because I have had this strange 'no post' problem with my KR7 after making any change to the computer and then firing up again.

This weekend, I unplugged some cables to redo some cabling and neaten things up. After finishing all that (didn't even clear cmos or unplug psu), I plugged everything back in and fired up normally and the damn thing wouldn't even post. Now, I've had this problem before after making any hardware change, and I think it's do to the initial boot with the reset button held down for too long by the prometiea.. This time I couldn't get the machine to post no matter what I did, including clearing cmos, waiting an hour, restarting without reset button held down, etc. Nothing worked!

I ended up thinking maybe condensation was an issue.. I pulled the microfreezer off, pulled the cpu, and everything was dry. I put the cpu back in, and it posted right away. No clue what the problem was but this worked fine. I do use dielectric grease on my processor pins though.

Anyway, if it's not the vid card, just try putting it back in. It worked for me, and I thought my board was dead also.

Svenn
12-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Excellent, now if I could just get the transfer of funds to my paypal account to finish I could order me a Prom!

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 01:58 PM
ok, can someone give me an idea what exactly die elctric grease does, how to use it? and perferably something with pictures...

I have read about it before, but never seen how its used.
pictures of it being used is the most important part for me.

Umgawa
12-09-2002, 04:56 PM
This will help some.
http://www.liquidninjas.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=20&page=6

The grease is nonconductive and prevents condensation from getting on your cpu pins so they want corrode and it also fills up the spaces left under the cpu so no air is there. No air equals no condensation. You can buy it at any automotive store. I am no expert and if any one can help this explination out a little please do.

TheDude
12-09-2002, 05:26 PM
Umgawa

I don't see how anyone can add to it...you pretty much said it all. I got mine at the auto parts store and as Hardass said, wouldn't think of not using it. Nice to have the added protection.

Ever find the problem? Where was the h20 coming from? Reason I said video was because I lost a video card on old style vapochill to condensation...found a small puddle in bottom of case..traced it to evap hose and saw where it hit video card resulting in no post. Luckily that's all I lost.

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 08:52 PM
What is this stuff?

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 08:54 PM
does die electric grease dry up?

does it just go around the CPU and socket, or actually inbetween the CPU and pins, and inside the holes of the socket?

I just want to make real sure I know what to do when I give this a Go.:)

Kunaak
12-09-2002, 08:59 PM
this is the part I want to know about most.

AKRedneck
12-09-2002, 11:28 PM
You can fill the whole thing if you want too. What I do is cut a piece of neoprene, that's about as thick as the socket is deep. Just cut it to the size of the socket, cut a slit for the temp probe, and stuff it in there. Then just push all the dielectric grease into the socket pin holes..

bowman1964
12-10-2002, 02:47 PM
WELL I DONT OWN A PROMETEIA SO RUN ME OUT IF I AM OUT OF PLACE.:rolleyes:
I DO OWN QUITE A FEW SUB -40C MACHINES.
AND I HAVE FOUND FOR ME THAT A SMALL PIECE OF NEOPREME WITH DIELECTIC GREASE SMEARED IN THE CENTER WORKS BEST.SEALS BETTER THAT WAY WITH NO AIR AND DIELECTRIC GREASE HELPS KEEP ANY COROSION DOWN TO NOTHING JUST INCASE SOME MOISTURE GETS IN BY ACCIDENT.I THEN SMEAR GREASE INTO THE SOCKET PINS THEN INSTALL CPU AND REMOVE THE CPU TO BE SURE THERE IS GOOD GREASE CONTACT ON BOTTOM OF CHIP AND ALL PINS ARE COVERED.
THEN SMEAR DIELECTRIC GREASE AROUND THE SOCKET ITSELF AND PLACE A PIECE OF CLOSED CELL FOAM AROUND SOCKET.

DIELECTRIC GREASE WILL NOT DRY UP:toast:

mike.elmes
12-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Bowman 1964... You are very welcome here...you don't need to have a prommy to post or give your opinions...Ah hell we could really use your extreme experience.:D

How's that Vapo project coming along??

bowman1964
12-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by mike.elmes
Bowman 1964... You are very welcome here...you don't need to have a prommy to post or give your opinions...Ah hell we could really use your extreme experience.:D

How's that Vapo project coming along??

thanks mike
and speaking of the vapo i am looking at it now staring back at me yelling.... fix me ......fix me.
well to be honest this current project of the ultimate cooler is drawing to a close i hope.been testing for weeks now.i am just triying to insulate the chiller better and waiting on my slow brother who as a favor i let him help.he is working on the custom alumium case for to house the cooler and computer in one unit.

the vapo is then next.like i told everyone first thing is how to improve on the factory unit.i have heard so many people complain about crushing cores first thing is to get a fix for that.and i already know what to do.going to machine a copper cold plate to perfect fit the vapo head .so it will be just a matter of installing the plate and no more crushed cores....i hope.lol
but as soon as i start i will let everone know.

just incase some of you dont know of this cooler i have been designing and building for months check it out in ether forum.

http://www.phase-change.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4327

thanks again guys.

TheDude
12-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Bowman,

Tons of good info! I booked it and look forward to hours of reading! Thanks!:D