PDA

View Full Version : SCSI? Reliable? Fast? Better than SATA?

YanBooth
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I was wondering whether SCSI is worth alllll the extra money over SATA, is it? Is a pair of 10,000 RPM SCSI drives in RAID 0 going to be more reliable than a pair of WD Raptors in RAID 0? I AM NOT going the RAID 1 route, so please don't suggest it!
Thanks so much for your future help...

Yan Booth

GoodOmens
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
For home use sata is just fine.

SCSI is really way more expensive and it will perform better then SATA. However you got to realize a decent scsi controller will cost you $500+ and 15k hard drives @ 36.6 gigs are like 230 a pop. On top of that you will only get the top performance out of SCSI Ultra 320 if you have a server board with a PCI-X (Don't confuse PCI-X with PCI-Express they are not the same) slot as you will most likely saturate the pci slot in a typical home board capping your performance.

SATA on the otherhand comes built in on most motherboards. As long as you dont need raid 5 your fine. Hard drives for sata @ 10k rpm start at like 110 for 36.6 gigs. With the new boards sporting SATA2 I can't wait for WD to come out with a SATA2 raptor as that will be a interesting drive.

Anyways, I would say SCSI is only worth the cost and time if your running a enterprise server set up. If your doing a home gameing/file server SATA will be more then fine.

z-design
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
If you're willing to get SCSI, might as well go grab a quad opteron motherboard along with 4 opteron dual core 875's, and 32 gigs of ram.

Unless you've got a HUGE :banana::banana::banana::banana:load of money to spend, SCSI is a complete waste for home/gaming-based computers, it will only boost performance, and like omens said, wait till SATA2.

Go with raid 0 raptors. ;)