PDA

View Full Version : Where's my problem?

nghisus
04-29-2005, 11:28 AM
:confused: Hey guys new here. But, my system consists of:

FX-53 939
XP-120 (2x120mm's 1 silverstone adj. and 1 silent generic)
1 gig (2x512) Kingston HyperX PC3500 (non BH5)
Gigabyte K8-NXSP 939
ATI 800XT Pro
2x74 meg raptors (raided)
2x160 WD Caviars (raided)

When I try to change the memory timings in my bios it won't hold them if I set them aggressively. When I try to increase my multiplyer the system reboots over and over before it can get into windows. I've spent a lot on this system but it just seems to be so buggy (crashes, randomly although hasn't happened that often sense I pulled out bad dvd burner, but still happens). I don't think I have enough experience with this stuff. If anybody can help me tweak this thing or recommend a change, I'd appreciate it. I'm ready for a little overclocking but it dosen't even seem stable at normal settings. So what can I do? :confused:

(sin)morpheus
04-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Sounds like a bad psu, what psu are you using?
I haven't read up much on the fx53, but if it's unstable when you increase the multiplier, up the vcore a bit. You don't want to use your motherboard's aggressive timings, set some custom timings. Your sticks may need a voltage increase to run tigher timings, so bump the vmem up until it's stable.

nghisus
04-30-2005, 06:30 AM
I bought an alien super-x case and it came with a 500 watt PSU. I'm having a hard time with CMOS so should I use VTune or some other OC program in windows? Got any idea at all of what the timings should be?

saaya
04-30-2005, 06:40 AM
what memory is that lhx 3500 based on? ch5?
check the threads in the xtreme bandwidth section, if you cant find the optimal timings for ch then make a new thread asking what the best timings for ch5 on an a64 setup are :)

what multis did you try? it might be a bad bios... i heard the gigabyte boards had multi probs in earlier bios versions, maybe they still have those issues with higher multis as they barely get used by most people?

Minstadave
04-30-2005, 07:51 AM
what memory is that lhx 3500 based on? ch5?
check the threads in the xtreme bandwidth section, if you cant find the optimal timings for ch then make a new thread asking what the best timings for ch5 on an a64 setup are :)

The older KHX PC3500 was, so won't run aggressive timings (2-2-2) without alot of volts (3.1+). 2-3-2-6 would be the place to start.

nghisus
04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
cool beans, i assume it's bh5, I bought this stuff off newegg, the packaging was all new it says pc3500 on the box but cpu-z calls it pc3200. The bios is sitting a F7. Adjusting the FSB causes no issues, but if I bump the mulit up from 12 to 13. It reboots. I set DRAM voltage at 2.7 with EZTune. Wait a sec...I think CPU-Z maybe reading my back Bios backup bios for some of it's info. Too strange..

saaya
04-30-2005, 02:23 PM
if you bought it from newegg recently then its not bh5, thats tccd then and the other one is ch5, so that explains why they dont work together very well... maybe ask kingston if they can replace the ch5 with tccd, i know corsair did this a few times for people.

is 2.6ghz stable without bumping the multi? but 13x200 doesnt work? ...hmmmm contact gigabyte id say... sounds like a bios or board issue.

hmmm lower multis work, right?

(sin)morpheus
04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd still say psu is an issue. Sounds like you have a generic POS. Get a good 500watt or greater, with a nice big 12v rail, 30+ amps. There are alot of different brands, but I'm sure there is a sticky somewhere on here of the best psu's.

nghisus
05-02-2005, 04:11 AM
hmmm, so two routes to choose here. On the one hand sin's got a good point, I do have let's see 6x80mm fans, 2x120mm fans, northbridge fan, and 4 Hdd's, and 1 burner right now about to go to 2. I'm sorry I meant to say, I assume it's not bh5, my bad. One of my friends has a stick of 512 hyperx bh5 he just replaced with a stick of patriot xbl 3200 (which is SCCCCCCCCCCCCReamin! stuff by the way, I think he got 490Mhz or something). I'm gonna put it (bh5) into the system to try that out first. That way I can check to see if it's ram, gratis. If that dosen't work, I'll hunt down a new PSU. That PSU thing is definitely is a legitamate explaination. Thanks and Danke guys.

Dave in Daytona
05-02-2005, 04:24 AM
An OCZ PowerStream 520W is $125 at new egg & should solve your power problems. :toast:

nghisus
05-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Aspire ATX 500W P4 Aluminum Power Supply is the one i have, i think it's around 54 bucks retail. how do I check to see if it's the PSU? Where's a good place or a good program to check voltage rails. Sorry, I'm ME not EE (haha not to reflect poorly on ME's out there). But you're right, as much money as i've sunk into this thing it's better to have a premium psu. I guess it's like having an M3 rolling on some Kumhos.

nghisus
05-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Oh yeah, and I bought the memory as a kit so i believe they are both CH5. Also, newegg is bad for me because i live in TN and I get jacked with the tax (sitting at darn near 10% right now!).

Dave in Daytona
05-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Aspire ATX 500W P4 Aluminum Power Supply is the one i have, i think it's around 54 bucks retail. how do I check to see if it's the PSU? Where's a good place or a good program to check voltage rails. Sorry, I'm ME not EE (haha not to reflect poorly on ME's out there). But you're right, as much money as i've sunk into this thing it's better to have a premium psu. I guess it's like having an M3 rolling on some Kumhos.I'm afraid that Aspire's are "known-bad" and
have a bad habit of taking the VC &/or the mobo with them when to go.

Here is how to test: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=137886

Good Luck

nghisus
05-02-2005, 05:08 AM
You know guys, I really think it's the PSU problem. Last night when I was burning a DVD I tired to do some web browsing and it locked up. Didn't blue screen just locked up. So system resources was at like a measly 3% when it happened. Ordering a new PSU today. Alright! Now to find a new PSU. New thread? If not just roll out some suggestions, OCZ looks super good, but my IT manager is recommending an Antec.

Dave in Daytona
05-02-2005, 05:28 AM
You know guys, I really think it's the PSU problem. Last night when I was burning a DVD I tired to do some web browsing and it locked up. Didn't blue screen just locked up. So system resources was at like a measly 3% when it happened. Ordering a new PSU today. Alright! Now to find a new PSU. New thread? If not just roll out some suggestions, OCZ looks super good, but my IT manager is recommending an Antec.IMO:

(1) PC P&C 510's

(2) PCZ PowerStreams

(3) Antec True Powers

(4) Enermax's

Just make sure that you have a minimum of +12V@24A for a single video card &
at least +12V@30A (& 500W+) for SLI.

GL :toast:

nghisus
05-02-2005, 08:04 AM
What about the thermaltake 680, Antec 550 True Modular, or enermax 600 i swear my machine will never crave electricity again!

nghisus
05-04-2005, 04:21 AM
Well purchaed an Enermax EG651P-VE for 100 bucks of eWiz, shipped it out the same day should be coming in next monday. Would anybody like a followup after I get everything put together?

nghisus
05-11-2005, 03:38 AM
Well, got the new Enermax installed and it seems to be running pretty stable. Did lose my Caviar raid though, oh well, rebuild the tunes collection with some newsgroup action. Overclocked to about 2.7Ghz adjusting the FSB with EZTune4, but still no luck with the multipliers with EZTune4. Will try in CMOS today though to see what happens.