PDA

View Full Version : PCP&C 510 + APC UPS: do i need smartUPS w/ line filter?

euclid
04-28-2005, 02:30 PM
hi, im building a new pc and i have question about the PSU/UPS

as far as i know the pc power and cooling 510 PSU has its own voltage regualtor to prevent fluctuation from harming the cpu components. so would it be redundant to buy the APC smartUPS also?

im looking for 1500va and ive found the backUPS version much cheaper but it does not have voltage reguation, just backup battery incase of power failure.

if someone could help me out id really appreciate it... also the UPS will be running fully overclocked system, 2 lcd monitors, and cable modem. will the 1500va be overkill, can i get away with 1000va? thanks!

EMC2
04-28-2005, 07:06 PM
There are 2 advantages to the SmartUPS over the BackupUPS series... the AC line regulation (main advantage being it keeps the unit from having to switch over to battery under bad AC line conditions that would force battery on the BackupUPS series) and a cleaner AC output signal (sinewave vs stepped sinewave) when on the battery.

Regarding 1500 vs 1000... the answer depends on how much backup time you want on the battery. APC has a decent calculator for backup time on their web-site. Either would handle the system in general.

As far as needed or not with the PCPnC... only really if you want/need backup in the event of power failure (including those 2 sec temp outages that occur sometimes during peak load on the power companies or when a substation switches). General protection can be had with a good surge strip like a TrippLite "Protect It".

Oh... and look for the SmartUPS on sale... got mine for less than the BackupUPS ;)

Peace :toast:

euclid
04-30-2005, 10:50 PM
ahh, i didnt know that about the other feature of the smartUPS, , i thought it was only surge protect. thanks for the reply.

yeah i am looking on ebay and the smartUPS are selling for less than half of retail, but before i spend the money i want to be sure exactly what i need.

the apc calculator said 750 is enough for my requirements, but under the cpu option i was only able to plugin athlon, no other specification , so im just worried they really underate an overclocked system. im looking for a rack mounts so i guess ill bid on whichever i can good deal on, 1000 or 1500

thanks again :toast:

sluflyer06
04-30-2005, 11:00 PM
1000va would be plenty, though you could get more time with the 1500, i have a 1400 and its lasts pretty long.

if the 1500 is alot more $ than don't bother, imo. it wouldn't be worth a big price hike

Dave in Daytona
05-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Sam's Club still has new, but discontinued APC Back Up Pro 1100's for $125.
These were $454 two years ago. They use RS232 instead of USB for communications,
but that is the only difference.

Dave