PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia Advise Needed

Caprid
12-08-2002, 01:24 PM
My Prometeia finally arrived, and I plan on cooling my Tbred with it, and I need some help.

I didn't get any foam gasket for the back plate. Can I use some neoprene instead? Another thing, my backplate has a heating element in it, I searched and read all the reviews I could find and none of them have the heater in them, is this something new? Do I need the neoprene at all? Will the heating element will keep the pins warm enough for no condensation to form? One more, :) should I seal the pins on the back with silicone or Dow conformal coating what about the socket? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I can't afford to burn anything up. Thanks.

TheDude
12-08-2002, 02:20 PM
Ok..by foam gasket, I assume you mean the foam that lines the inside of the back plate, not something that goes around the edges? If you did not get it with your Prom, I would contact the company you bought it from and have them send it. Do not operate it without it! I don't know of a safe subsitute, but would want the original stuff if it was me.
I doubt that you will need the heating element, especially running a T-bird...depending on environmental factors where you live. I used dioelectric grease on my cpu pins and cavity under the socket as extra precaution against condensation. Make sure you have an airtight seal and use lots of the string sealer.
Read MrIcees review if you have not already, excellent guide with lots of clear pics.
Also there is an excellent thread in here about prom install tips..well worth the read.

Good luck...read all you can and take your time and you should be fine:D

Caprid
12-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

I have the seal string, I don't have the foam for inside the back plate. Whats confusing me is the heater element. I did a google search and spent hours reading every review I could find and none of them mention or have a picture like mine?

http://caprid.homestead.com/files/backplate.jpg

That heater should keep the pins above ambient so no condensation will form? Do you still need the foam? I have a few sheets of neoprene I was going to lay in there. But I guess I should use the correct stuff. I know full well the evils of condensation. I have a nice 2700+ that does 2680mhz with just ambient water, so I don't want to kill it. Waited all these weeks, guess a few more days won't kill me :(

Thanks.

TheDude
12-08-2002, 06:12 PM
Wow that 2700 should rock with the extra cooling! I really don't think you will need the heater with the xp2700 running a high OC. I have the same chip and did not install the heater...so far no probs from condensation. The main thing is to get a good air tight seal...no ambient air getting in. Your temps are going to be warm enough without the heater with a high voltage OC. Also make sure your hose is not pressed against the side of your case, could cause insulating failure at the point of contact. I'm not saying that nothing but the foam will work on the back plate, but it's good to use what Chip-con suggests in case of any problems. Let us know how it goes.:D

BTW what stepping is your 2700?....mine says AIUCB 0243TPDW

AKRedneck
12-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Caprid, TheDude is right, you should have the correct foam gasket, however if you don't feel like waiting around for a foam gasket, just use the neoprene you have. The idea is to completely fill the entire area inside the back plate. Doing this will reduce the air space to nothing, and whatever condensation could occur would be minimial. I wouldn't see the need to use the heater unless your in a very humid area. Just use the sealstring and seal that back plate up and you'll be good to go.

One more tip... When installing the upper mounting bracket around the socket, go easy on the sealstring.. Just remember to seal it around the outside real good. You don't want too much because it will prevent the retainer ring from bottoming out on it's legs, which in turn will make the microfreezer come in contact with it too easily without first getting hard contact on the cpu. Besides, you also need a decent gap to get some sealstring between the microfreezer and the upper mounting bracket.. I know the prometeia manual says 2 layers of sealstring between the upper mounting bracket and the mobo, however I would just use one layer and seal it around the outside.. :D

When you are ready to install the microfreezer, install it dry (without sealstring) and check the gap between the outer part of the microfreezer, and the upper mounting bracket.. If the gap is only a 1/16" or so, I wouldn't use more than 1 layer of sealstring. Too much and it won't squish enough to let the microfreezer bottom out on the cpu!..

The above are just some things that I learned from my installation... *Disclaimer*... what works for me may not work for others... and probably unsupported by chip-con..:confused:

sharpbw
12-08-2002, 08:58 PM
The documentation I got with the heating element says "when operating the PC under high humidity and low load conditions. Mount this heating element inside the rear cover instead of the insulating gasket..."

So, unless you do have high humidity, and plan to idle alot, you can go without it.

Caprid
12-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys. They told me I had to wait for another shipment from chip-con to get the foam for the backplate :rolleyes: So being the impatient sort, I sealed the back pins with silicon then cut two pieces or neoprene to fill in the backplate. Working good so far.

http://caprid.homestead.com/files/2926mhz.jpg

I knew this chip had some legs :D

K_2
12-13-2002, 08:28 AM
Hey I have the 2700+ also and today I am receiving my Prometeia :D

Can you tell me what Mobo and Ram you have. I currently have the AT7-Max2 and Corsair 3500 CL2.

I am on air and can get the cpu to 2.522 Gig but thats it.. She is unstable after that, at least for 3D Marks..

Whenever I try to take my FSB over 200 I get hard drive corruption, wondering if that is due to me not being able to lock the PCI:AGP or if it is Ram or CPU??

Thanks for the input!

Charles Wirth
12-14-2002, 02:50 AM
Nice overclock Caprid, great job.

K_2, Welcome to Xtreme Systems.

TheDude
12-14-2002, 07:41 AM
Nice OC Caprid,

What board and bios do you have? What settings, FSB, voltage, etc are you running? I seem to be stuck at 2700mhz for now:mad:

K_2
12-14-2002, 09:26 AM
TheDude,

What Temps are you running Full load??

At FULL LOAD I am running around 28C with 2.0V

FUGGER,

THANKS!!!

mike.elmes
12-14-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
Nice OC Caprid,

What board and bios do you have? What settings, FSB, voltage, etc are you running? I seem to be stuck at 2700mhz for now:mad:

TheDude, what board are you using to get the xp2700+ to 2700 real mhz, and who 's got the 2700 higher?? I just ordered one for my KD7 non raid and am curious if I shouldn't have ordered an xp2600+ instead.

Caprid
12-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Nice OC Caprid,

Got it running on a KD7 13.5X210 1T enabled with TwinMos DDR400. Useing 2.175 Vcore and 3.1 Vdimm. Don't think I'll get it stable over 2900mhz, that was just a quick WCPUID screenie, wanted to see if I could hit 3000mhz :rolleyes: :p

Hardass
12-14-2002, 07:40 PM
What temps are you getting with the Prom?

TheDude
12-15-2002, 08:14 AM
K_2

I am getting -26 on prom led at full load 2.075 mem 3.15

mike.elmes,

Abit KD7 R board, Caprid got 2700 to 2900 and I have seen others with Prom do better than 2700mhz....I suspect mine will do better and that the fault lies with me and not the chip. I am still trying to go higher. I hear new stepping is better OCer. I think it's an H?