PDA

View Full Version : networking w/ 2 switches.

felix88
12-08-2002, 12:45 PM
i've got 1 switch downstairs, it has 2 computers and the dsl connected to it. can i connect another switch to it and then connect my computers to the 2nd switch? basically i'm going to have multiple computers in this room, and i don't want to deal with multiple cables going into the room.

here is a quick illustration because i know my explination is hard to understand:

http://www.canby.com/chale/network2.jpg

IFMU
12-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Yes it should be. Most routers/hubs/switches have a connection for doing that. I have a router and a switch set up kinda like that right now.
I cant recall the exact word thats used, but... wait.. uplink? maybe.. dunno cant think.
But it should do it unless youve got pretty generic hardware.

Should be able to without probs.

felix88
12-08-2002, 01:06 PM
yeah it's an uplink port. i'm using the uplink on one of my switches to connect the dsl modem. i can go from the regular port of one switch into the uplink of the second. correct?

IFMU
12-08-2002, 01:11 PM
No, not by my understandings.
With mine, Linksys 4 port router and 5 port switch if I recall correctly.
Ok, Im kinda going in the dark and just with what I have seen.
The modem should go to the first switch, then from the first switch, there should be a spot labeled wan? I think? Its normally the 1st in the ports. The 2nd switch should go there.

Make sense? or ? lol

felix88
12-08-2002, 01:20 PM
so i don't have to put the modem into the uplink port? i'll have to try it out. if i don't, then i see what you are saying.

i have 1 of these (http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=21&view=), and i plan on getting another because it's fairly cheap. i might get an 8 port version so i don't have to worry about upgrading later though.

IFMU
12-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Honestly Im not real sure. I would suggest playing with it a little and see what actually gets it to work. I know it should but I couldnt tell yea the exact spots to put it in. Since its netgear by the link there I would say you should be able to without any probs.

felix88
12-08-2002, 01:50 PM
ok, i'm gonna go pick up the second switch.

thanks IFMU!

andy

sllywhtboy
12-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by IFMU
Yes it should be. Most routers/hubs/switches have a connection for doing that. I have a router and a switch set up kinda like that right now.
I cant recall the exact word thats used, but... wait.. uplink? maybe.. dunno cant think.
But it should do it unless youve got pretty generic hardware.

Should be able to without probs.

if both switches have uplinks, then yes. you can go from uplink of one to a regular port of the other

--slly

felix88
12-08-2002, 04:54 PM
thanks guys. it's working just fine now.

now i just need to find a cheapo video card so i can get this 2nd folding rig up. ;)