PDA

View Full Version : time for a new psu?

hoodiejuggalo
04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I think me being cheap on the psu has finally come back to bite in me the butt. While playing some games recently, I noticed (which is pretty damn hard not to notice) that within 10 min or so, the game would stop, sound would "repeat" itself, and the machine would restart. Obviously this isn't normal, but I don't know exactly what the problem is, my guess is the psu. To my knowledge, I think it's some generic 500w psu. I've got a raptor, another hdd, a 6800, oc'ed cpu, 2 DVD drives, you think it's the psu? If so, what would ya reccomend for a setup like mine. (I do plan on another raptor in the near future)

Thanks!

Squid_Spit
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah i think so a bad psu can often lead to instability, whats your psu budget?

jpm8o4
04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
For Value i'd recommend fortron and if you want to spend a little more maybe OCZ.

hoodiejuggalo
04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't know man, my birthday is comin' up in like 3 weeks, depending on how much money I get, probably $150 or so?

I've had my eye on an OCz, but I don't know much about PSUs, is there really much of a difference between the ModStreams and the PowerStreams?

Pivo504
04-28-2005, 05:37 PM
go with powerstream OCZ definitley best PSU ive owned!

Squid_Spit
04-29-2005, 02:55 AM
Yeah for about $150 i'd go for the ocz powerstream 520w.

Dave in Daytona
05-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Yeah for about $150 i'd go for the ocz powerstream 520w.Very good advice, the PCZ PowerStream 520W (620W Peak) is an excellent PS & $129 at new egg.

5yr warranty too. :toast:

SPQQKY
05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Don't go with the ModStream, it's not nearly the quality that their PowerStream is.

hoodiejuggalo
05-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Cool, alright thanks everyone that helped out! Much appreciated!

hoodiejuggalo
05-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Well I'm back, I get my PowerStream tomorrow, but I've come across another problem. Now just randomly (it seems, maybe there's something I'm missing) the machine will shut off. Well, restart actually, but then will turn on, except no POST. I have to wait 10 minutes or so, boot it up, and all is well. Is this a common theme among low-end psu's? I've went back to stock on everything just to make sure it's none of those, still happens though. By the way, the current psu I have is Turbolink 500w. Sorry if some of this didn't make sense, I can try and explain in more detail later if needed.

Mike

Dave in Daytona
05-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Well I'm back, I get my PowerStream tomorrow, but I've come across another problem. Now just randomly (it seems, maybe there's something I'm missing) the machine will shut off. Well, restart actually, but then will turn on, except no POST. I have to wait 10 minutes or so, boot it up, and all is well. Is this a common theme among low-end psu's? I've went back to stock on everything just to make sure it's none of those, still happens though. By the way, the current psu I have is Turbolink 500w. Sorry if some of this didn't make sense, I can try and explain in more detail later if needed.

MikeRead before installing your PowerStream: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5661 :fact: