PDA

View Full Version : Headphone FAQ

cetoole
04-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Overview
I have seen many people asking which headphones (cans) to get, so hopefully this will help clear up some questions you might have. There is no one best headphone, because you have to take into account price, portability, purpose, ease of powering, and most important, sound. All headphones do not sound the same, and as surprising as it might be, the earbuds that come with your iPod don't sound great. Almost all headphones included with Portable CD Players (PCDPs), Digital Audio Players (DAPs), and any other devices tend to sound quite bad, with few exceptions.

Companies
Koss: Koss is not the company who you would think of when looking for headphones, but they have some that are quite good, especially in the budget area. If you want inexpensive headphones that sound good, Koss is the way to go. They tend to be "fun" headphones to listen to, best suited for music. The most recommended Koss for budget use is the KSC-75.
Grado: These headphones tend to be a great bang for the buck, and are best suited for music, especially Rock and Metal, but still quite good for everything. Not the best gaming cans, as they don't have the best soundstage, so won't be as good for positioning as other choices. They leak sound, so aren’t the best option for noisy areas or places like libraries where other people will be disturbed by your music. Grados tend not to require an amp to drive, but there is an improvement. Some people find them a bit uncomfortable to wear, but they are light, sit on the ears, and have many different pads that can be swapped to change the sound and comfort. The SR-60 is one of the headphones I recommend most to people.
Alessandro: Alessandro is basically the same thing as Grado, as they take Grado cans and slightly tweak them. While Grado is intended for the consumer market, Alessandro is more for Professionals. They sound very similar, and some people prefer them to the comparable Grado and some prefer the Grados.
Sennheiser: Sennheiser makes some excellent headphones, and are probably one of the most, if not the most popular audiophile headphones. Known by many to make high quality products, they offer cans oriented to every market. The Sennheiser sound tends to be laid back, and some people find them boring, but they are quite detailed, have a good soundstage, making them great for gaming and video, as well as music, and they tend to be quite comfortable. Higher end Sennheisers often need an amplifier to sound great, as they are high impedance and very hard to drive from the headphone out of most devices. Most of the higher end Sennheisers are open designs, letting sound in and out, so are not the best choice for noisy areas or places like libraries where other people will be disturbed by your music. While Sennheiser has discontinued them, the best headphones ever in many people's books were made by Sennheiser, the legendary Orpheus, which was an Electrostatic headphone (HE-90) and tube amp (HEV-90) combination that retailed for over $10,000. While I have not heard them, I have heard the HE-60 "Baby Orpheus", and they are by far my favorite headphones.
Audio-Technica: These headphones are a bit hard to get, the most common place is from Audio Cubes (http://www.audiocubes.com), an importer who ships the headphones from Japan. They are quite good, and very popular at the moment. While being some of the largest headphones around right now, they are surprisingly easy to drive, unlike the comparable Sennheisers. They don't need a special amp, but like most headphones, benefit from one. Generally a closed design, the isolation is not great, but much better than open designs. They are great for gaming, music, and video usage, having a wide soundstage that allows for good positioning.
Sony: Until very recently, cheap Sony headphones were quite poor, but that seems to have changed with the introduction of the XD line. Before this, only the MDR-V6 was worth a look without being too expensive. Sony also has some high end cans that are quite good. The MDR SA5000 is very popular right now with audiophiles, being very detailed, and many people have sold their Sennheiser HD650 to buy them recently. Sony cans tend to be somewhat of an acquired taste, and it often takes people a while to adjust to them, if they ever do. They often have amazing detail, but that isn't always good, as they reveal any flaws in the system. They should be great for any gaming, music, and video use, if you like them. Again, the cheap Sonys suck, Streetstyles are not good.
Bose: While it hurts me to include this company here, people must be warned. Like all of their products, Bose headphones, the Triports and Quiet Comforts (QCs), are not good, and have a tendency to break. They are grossly overpriced, to the point that the general consensus on Triports is that they would be fairly priced around $40. The noise canceling on the QCs isn't great, you are much better off getting some passive isolation cans, like Shure, Etymotic, or closed headphones, like HD280. Bose is not recommended, stay far away.
Shure: Shure makes some great canal phones, also known as In Ear Monitors or IEMs. They physically block sound, giving great isolation, but many people don't like the way they feel, as they sit in your ear canal. The cheaper Shures, like the E2c, don't sound great, but are much better than stock. Shure IEMs tend to have rolled off highs, but are pretty decent, and the E3c is much better than the E2c. Shure is about to come out with some new IEMs, the E4c, which, from the early reviews I have seen, are supposed to be great, and beat many IEMs costing more than they do, including possibly, the E5c which is the top Shure available. Basically, I only recommend Shure and any IEM for people looking for noise isolation. If you are flying, riding the bus, or anywhere that is noisy, they are great, just don't get run over by a car while walking around with them. The canalphone of choice for rock/metal/rap/electronic music.
Etymotic: Etymotic, or Ety, is another company who makes high end IEMs, which have the characteristic of being incredibly detailed, but very weak on the bass. They have greater isolation than Shures, and sound very good, but again, many people don't like them, and I recommend them for the same type of use as Shures and every IEM. Not ideal for rock/metal/rap/electronic music because of the weak bass, but great for classical, jazz, acoustical music.
Beyerdynamic: Beyer make some great cans, which are good for gaming, music, and movies, and famous for their monsterous bass. Described by some as sounding similar to the Sennheiser house sound, but with more bass. Definitly worth a look at.
Zalman, Labtec, and other "Gaming" or computer headphones: These tend to be overpriced, sound quite bad, and are gimmicks. Surround headphones are only for gaming, and they are still beat by many of the headphones above. I can't recommend any, and if you need a Microphone, get a separate one to use with the headphones you end up getting.

Types of Headphones
Circumaural: This type of headphone goes around your ears, and is generally quite comfortable, but large. They can be either open or closed, both of which have benefits. Examples are Sennheiser HD580 (open) and Audio Technica A900 (closed).
Supraaural: This type of headphone sits on your ear, like the stock headphones that come with many cheap cd players that have a band that goes over your head. They are much smaller than circumaural, but many people find them uncomfortable. This design tends to be open. An example is all Grados without the new circumaural pads.
IEM or Canalphone: Just what they sound like, this type of headphone goes in your ear canal, physically blocking sound much more than most other headphones. Origionally used by musicians while performing on stage, they have now come down to the consumer market, with even some inexpensive offerings from larger companies, like Sony. The consumer IEMs tend to isolate much less than professional models, but still block some sound. Some people find them uncomfortable, since it is a piece of foam or plastic in your ear. Examples are the offerings from Shure and Etymotic.
Earbuds: Often found bundled with cd players and daps, most tend to be low quality. Similar to IEMs in that they sit in the ear, earbuds don't penetrate the canal, so don't block sound out nearly as much. The most common is the stock ipod buds.
Open Headphones: Open headphones simply referrs to headphones where there is no solid barrier between the driver and the rest of the world. Open headphones tend to give a great sound for less money than closed, but offer almost no sound isolation in either direction, so you can hear the surrounding environment while wearing them, and people in the same room can hear what you are listening too. This can be benificial if you can't afford to be isolated from the world, but often gets annoying in noisy environments.
Closed Headphones: Closed headphones have the driver sealed from the outside, blocking some sound in and out. Not all provide great isolation, but it is much better than open headphones. The sound has a tendancy to not be quite as good for the price as open, especially with models offering high levels of isolation, but this is not a rule, as anyone who has heard good IEMs (Ety ER4) will tell you.

Price Ranges
Under $50 Headphones
There are not many great headphones under $20, but there are some that are quite good, and not what you would expect. Koss manufactures some headphones that are thought of by many on Head-Fi to be the best inexpensive headphones available by far, and they are sold quite cheaply. All of these use basically the same driver, so the only real difference is the housing. All are quite easy to drive, and are described as "fun" headphones. Also, the Sharp MD33, which, while being a bit hard to find, is thought of as being quite good. These are canal phones, which, as the name indicates, sit in your ear canal. They block a decent amount of noise, but not nearly as much as more expensive In Ear Monitors (IEMs). All of the headphones in this section are general use and easy to drive, so I suggest just choosing the headphones that are your favorite in style. If you want me to make one suggestion, for the money, the KSC-75 is the way to go, unless you need some isolation from the ambient noise, in which case the MD33 or EX81 will be best for you. If you are willing to spend a little more, the Sennheiser HD212 and HD497 are good, as are the new Sony XD line, and should be the best choices for gaming in this category.

Koss KSC-75 - Under $20
Koss KSC-35 - Under $20
Koss KSC 50 - Under $20
Koss KSC 55 - Under $20 - (warning, many find these uncomfortable, especially people with large heads)
Koss Sportapro - Under $30
Koss Portapro - Under $40
Sharp MD33 - $40 - Hard to get, only place I know of is Audio Cubes (http://www.audiocubes.com). Canalphone but much less isolation than Shure/Ety IEMs
Panasonic RP-HJE50 - Under $20 - Canalphone, but much less isolation than Shure/Ety IEMs
Sony XD200 - Under $30
Sony XD300 - Under $50, but probably not worth it for the price increase over the XD200
Sony EX81 - Under $50, canalphone but much less isolation than Shure/Ety IEMs
Sennheiser MX300 - Under $10
Sennheiser MX400 - Under $15
Sennheiser MX500 - Under $20
Sennheiser HD201 - Under $20
Sennheiser HD212 - Under $50
Sennheiser HD497 - Under $50

$50 - $100
In this price range, headphones start to become quite good and you start having to look at the application when making decisions. The styles become more varied, and the sound quality is much better. Companies such as Grado, Sennheiser, and Shure start to have high quality headphones in this level. Alessandro is basically the same thing as Grado, just tuned slightly differently, but if you like Grado, you will like Alessandro. For gaming, I would choose the MDR-V6, XD400, or the HD280, but if you can stretch your budget a little, the AT A500 is going to be much better.

Grado SR-60 - About $70
Grado SR-80 - About $95
Alessandro MS-1 - About $100
Sennheiser HD280 - Under $90
Sony XD400- Under $70
Sony MDR-V6 - Under $80
Shure E2c - Under $80 - IEM, very good isolation, not nearly as good as the higher end IEMs, my current portables

$100-$200
This is where headphones start becoming amazing, and all of the choices I list sound great. At this level, you will start wanting an amp, and some of the cans really need an amp. All are much more refined than the headphones lower in the product line. For gaming, the A900 is probably the best, but the HD580 and HD595 are still excellent choices.

Grado SR-125 - Under $150
Grado SR-225 - Under $200
Sennheiser HD580 - Under $180 - Needs an amp to shine, also, the main headphones I own
Sennheiser HD595 - Under $200 - Easier to drive than the HD580, more "up front"
Sennheiser PX250 - Under $150 - Really the best choice for active sound cancelation
Audio-Technica A500 - Under $120
Audio-Technica A900 - Under $200
AKG K501 - Under $200
Shure E3c - Under $130 - IEM, very good isolation
Etymotic ER6i - Under $140 - IEM, very good isolation

$200-$500
When you are at this level, headphones sound great, but you will possibly ask yourself if the improvement are worth it over the last category, unless you are a true audiophile and rich. They are definitely good, but it can be hard to tell if new headphones are upgrades or just a different sound. Really, I would not feel safe buying headphone in this level without hearing them, unless you have read a lot, and heard the headphones lower in the line you are looking at to be sure you like the sound. There are some companies that allow you to audition the headphones for around 30 days, and if you are buying blind, I would go for this. For gaming, the SA5000, CD3000 or HD650 is probably the best choice.

Grado SR-325i - Under $300
Alessandro MS-2 - Under $300
Sennheiser HD600 - Under $250 - Too close to HD580 to be worth it IMO, shares the same drivers
Sennheiser HD650 - Under $400
Beyerdynamic DT770 - Under $230 - The can for bassheads
Sony MDR CD3000 - Under $380
Sony MDR SA5000 - Under $450
Shure E4c - Price not set, but probably under $220, IEM, very good isolation
Shure E5c - Under $500, but wait for reviews of the E4c before buying
Etymotic ER4p/s - Under $220, IEM, amazing isolation
Westone UM2 - Under $330, IEM, preferred by some to ER4 and E5c

Over $500
There are many headphones over $500, such as those from Stax, Sony, Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, and many others, but if you are looking at buying any of these, you really need to hear them first, and look at Head-Fi. I have heard some of these, the Sennheiser HE60, Stax Omega II, Stax SR404, Sony Qualia, AKG K1000, and several others, but I don't feel qualified to choose for you. I am willing to discuss these and any other headphones though, as are the great people of Head-Fi.

Amplification
While virtually all headphones benefit from it, for some, it is critical. There are many choices, ranging from tiny portables to huge home systems, and they can be quite inexpensive or very costly. Many people build their own amps (me), and if you know what you are doing, this can be a fun and inexpensive way to get a high quality amp. Headphones like Sennheiser HD580 and up require an amp to sound great, but even something simple like a DIY CMoy makes a huge difference. Prices depend on features and component choice, as well as if it is home built or commercial.

CMoy - $20-$50. This is often built by individuals, and is quite easy, and if you are planning on building any higher amps, it is highly suggested that you start with is one.
Pimeta - $90-$150. Much nicer amp, and you have the option of building yourself or hiring someone to build it for you.
Mint - $60-$100. Also done DIY, there are people who will build them for sale. It is basically a stripped down Pimeta with more SMD parts, designed for portable use.
PPA - $150-$300. Nicer than the Pimeta, and usually a home amp. Version 2 is out, and has some nice improvements.
M^3 - $150-$300. Very nice amp, either home built or comissioned. Not for portable use, and the sound is amazing.
Dr. Xin's amps - Several different types, check out his (http://www.fixup.net) site.
SR-71 - $400. Very good commercial portable amp.
Dynahi - Either home built or commerical, this is probably the best solid state amp available. Usually costs over $1000 commercially, potentially less if built yourself, but very difficult.
There are many other amps available, but this should be enough for a start. If you have any questions, ask, or go to Head-Fi.

craig588
04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
I have never heard of anyone building their own amp. Do you have any more information on that? It sort of seems a little too late for me, I have a 6 channel 800 watts per channel setup by Adcom (The amp) and Kenwood (The preamp) already, but I would still like information on it.

cetoole
04-27-2005, 05:03 PM
I have never heard of anyone building their own amp. Do you have any more information on that? It sort of seems a little too late for me, I have a 6 channel 800 watts per channel setup by Adcom (The amp) and Kenwood (The preamp) already, but I would still like information on it.
Well, here is my Pimeta, I have another amp in the works, and getting ready to start some others. For more information, check out the Head-Fi DIY (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6) section and DIY Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/cetoole/Pimeta/insidepimeta.jpg

euclid
04-28-2005, 05:23 PM
great thread, im going to build a headphone amp soon too.

figure a decent pc based 5.1 speaker system will run hundreds of dollars, i dont see the purpose unless you are watching dvds/gaming through the cpu monitor with other people... in the same chair. isnt that why you have a tv and a couch?

edit: where are finding the Sennheiser HD580 for under $180?

cetoole
04-28-2005, 08:55 PM
great thread, im going to build a headphone amp soon too.
Great, any idea which one? I have a couple I will be doing soon.

edit: where are finding the Sennheiser HD580 for under $180?
Try Froogle (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&tab=wf&q=sennheiser+hd580&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p). When I got mine, I paid $150 shipped for them new, but that site has moved them up to $200.

euclid
04-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Great, any idea which one? I have a couple I will be doing soon.

well i dont have portable mp3 player. i think they are still too expensive, and when cell phones start integrating the same functions it should really start some competition. so i dont have a use for a mint on battery power yet which would be the obvious place to start.

im planning to start out with the pimeta. i want to have it dedicated to my pc. then depending on how that goes im hoping to do something more advanced for 2ch setup with dedicated cd player.

i was originally thinking i would build an integrated tube headphone amp like mapletree, but ive been reading some M^3 links at head-fi and its being praised as a REALLY nice sounding amp. not to mention cost under 200$ w/ nice case.
mapletree integrate tube is like 600$ unassembled and will still only function as heaphone amp. so i would end up having to buy another expensive amp for external speakers down the road.

TAD has a point-to-point integrated 2ch tube coming out in june to replace (and surpass) their modified cayin ta50. its around $900 but its over 60watts and i could not come close to building anything as nice.
so now i think the TAD integrated tube paired to decent set of bookshelves and sitting on top the m^3 would really ideal 2ch.

BTW: have you heard the hd650? they are about double the cost of the hd580 and im curious if they are much better? they come with fancy box :woot:

cetoole
04-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Yes, I have heard the HD650, but I didn't have much time with it, as I was at a headfi meet. While it is certainly very good, I am not sure they are that much better than HD580 unless you have a very high end system. I think there are still some people that prefer the HD600 to the HD650. I have also heard the M^3, and it was very nice. I hope to build one sometime, as I loved that amp.

amd4me
05-17-2005, 05:14 PM
The shures are amazing.

cetoole
05-24-2005, 08:10 PM
The shures are amazing.
Depends on the Shures, I prefer my new ER6i to my older E2c, and I preferred the ER6 to the E3c when I had a chance to hear both of them.

CNCL
06-06-2005, 11:48 AM
This is a great thread dude!

Daveb2012
06-18-2005, 06:32 PM
This thread deserves a sticky!

GermaniumGenie
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
The Pioneer SE-DIR800C is a sweet pair of headphones.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4171_108990338,00.html

You can find it at many places for around $250. I am getting some soon (along with a Creative X-Fi sound card that can simulate hundreds of speakers on a 5.1 surround sound system: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-17602-1999-x-x-x)

cetoole
06-25-2005, 11:31 AM
The Pioneer SE-DIR800C is a sweet pair of headphones.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4171_108990338,00.html

You can find it at many places for around $250. I am getting some soon (along with a Creative X-Fi sound card that can simulate hundreds of speakers on a 5.1 surround sound system: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-17602-1999-x-x-x)
Not a recommended system, wireless headphones dont sound very good IME, and are very overpriced. You could get a much better sounding system for less than that, my suggestion is Emu 0404+Pimeta+refurb Sennheiser HD650.

Mr. Tinker
07-08-2005, 06:20 AM
This is a great thread. I've read it many times in looking for suitable phones for my new zen xtra. 98db SNR baby! Take THAT ipod!

Edit: I'm about to order some Sharp MD33's. If it is possible, would it be a good idea to replace the standard tips with ER6i tips? Or is it even possible?

Badong
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I have AKG K-100 myself for over a year. Semi-open headphones, with very "specific" sound reproduction. Very precise low and mid range frequencies, but rolled off highs.
Good positioning in games. Badly designed in my opinion, one will get uncomfortable after like 30 minutes wearing them. Personally, i love them :D

IYP
07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
nice! can sombody make this a sticky?

Mr. Tinker
07-13-2005, 05:16 AM
I'd like to second that sticky request.

I just got my MD33's in last night, and man, the sound is great. Isolation is pretty good, sometimes too good if someone is trying to get my attention. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to wear them, but I found out that I have to pull my ear open to get them properly inside the canal. Once that is done, I can hear EVERY nuance in the recording.

For instance, listening to the live recording of "No Womon No Cry" from Bob Marley's "Legend," I can hear lots of voices from the audience (they sing really well!) and each individual backup singer. On studio recordings, I can really "feel" the room of the studio.

You really have never experienced music to its fullest until you get a good pair of headphones.

I can't wait to try these in gaming. I also can't wait to listen to "A Ghost is born" and "Pinkerton". Lots of background stuff in those two that I've never been able to make out.

geoff2k
07-13-2005, 06:02 AM
Just came across this thread thanks to the bump -- I've got a pair of MDR-V600's that I just picked up on a lark which have been performing pretty well for my purposes, but always looking for the next upgrade... ;-)

Third call for a sticky!

[XC] leviathan18
07-13-2005, 06:08 AM
plantronics dps 500 are quite good imo to listen music and play game witout bistub anybody i think they are ok....

this should be a sticky

One_Hertz
08-13-2005, 05:19 PM
bump for an awesome thread. needs a sticky :stick:

MaxxxRacer
08-13-2005, 11:09 PM
hmm.. this will get a sticky.. not a mod here but ill find someone who is.

btw i pwn all with my stax. hehe ;) here is an artsy shot of my headphones.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35782&stc=1

now here is the funny part.. I'm on onboard audio. If anyone knows any ultra high end sound cards that run on RCA jacks (not mini ones) id love to know. it doesnt need ANY features other than sound output as I dont really care about all that jazz that soundcrapster uses.

Mr. Tinker
08-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Just get a 1/8" stereo to RCA converter plug, and use like an xfi. It will have lots of features you don't want, but it may have the really good sound you want. Shor of that, the only thing I can think of that would have REALLY good computer sound are those two Aopen boards with the 12ax7 tubes on them. Come to think of it, they had RCA plugs.

MaxxxRacer
08-14-2005, 01:23 AM
xfi? u mean new soundblaster garbage... sigh.. they realy truely are garbage.

I, for a short while, though the m-audio cards were good until i consulted my dad who is a music stuido tech (capital records in los angeles), whom had tested the m-audio card. he informed me that after testing the card he threw it in the trash it was so pitifully bad in the sound quality department.

SlicerSV
08-14-2005, 04:31 AM
what about that X-Mystique sound card or whatever it was? aren't those supposed to be really nice?

EDIT: btw, as long as you don't try to feed them too much bass, the plantronics line-up, whether dps or .audio, are really nice head-sets. and since i don't like too much bass anyways, that makes them good enough for me.

also, some audiophiles on here, recommend me a good pair of headphones for under $50 that can handle a little bit of base, but has a more median sound, i hate both highs and lows, and no matter how much i love plantronics, (really, they do have nice median sound, even if they do have a hard time with bass), the wire they used is just way too thin and if you aren't careful with how you place it, the sound ends up hollow.

cetoole
08-18-2005, 12:38 PM
MaxxxRacer, check out the EMU soundcards, either the 0404 or the 1212m. I just got an EMU 1212m, and even stock, it sounds amazing. I am using it along with a DIY Pimeta headphone amplifier and Sennheiser HD580 headphones, sounds quite good, much better than the AV710 or Yamaha DP-U50 soundcards I used to use, and it is far superior to the soundblaster or onboard soundcards. Analog output is 2 x 1/4" balanced, but I am using it with a 1/4" mono-RCA cable, running it unbalanced, and it is amazing. You can buy the cables easily, I got one recently that is decent quality for $5, you can get adapter plugs from ratshack and use RCA cables from that to the energizer for the Stax, or you can DIY a custom cable easily, which is what I am going to be doing soon. Either way, those Stax (Lambda?) need a better source, and the EMU is about as good as it gets.
Slicer, the XD200, XD300, Senn HD497, and any of the Koss headphones listed would probably be good for you.

Mr. Tinker
08-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I think there would be a good niche market for a soundcard with a tube pre-amp. I guess you could also build a small tube pre-amp and output your sound to that.

Mr. Tinker
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
xfi? u mean new soundblaster garbage... sigh.. they realy truely are garbage.

So you've used one?

STickGuy
03-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Good Read

[XC] MarioMaster
03-24-2006, 07:35 PM
If anyone was thinking of making their own tube amp, drop me a PM, I have a bunch of tubes still in original boxes.

krille
04-23-2006, 05:13 AM
How ergonomical are these headphones? I was mainly thinking of the Sennheiser HD-650. High-fidelity is always nice, but what's the point of good headphones if you can't use them? While I'm looking for good sound, I want to be sure I can use them 24/7 (well nearly...) without getting soar ears. Ergonomically they should be excellent in order for me to see the point.

Anyone got any experiences with these or some other headphones? Can you wear them for several days straigh (LAN parties) without them getting on your mind and starting to be too heavy/bothersome/annoying/whatever?

Currently I'm on a Plantronics DSP-500 Headset, which ergonomically is quite alright. But they sport no noise-isolation whatsoever, and that's getting on my nerves too. Don't know how ergonomical noise-isolated headphones are though?

Thanks ~ Kris

physics_geek
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Get ATH A900, then. They are the most comfortable of the bunch, and are also quite isolating. It is my current headphone

YanBooth
06-16-2006, 02:05 AM
I like my Bose headphones.

ocmyface
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
does anyone thats a sound guru have a pair of AKG K44's?

cus i have a pair of them and for 20 bucks they seem freakishly good.... just wanting another opinion

flavoraid
10-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Hmm..

Im interested in building a new amp ive done a pimeta and own a cmoy. Im looking for something better I was on head-fi.org briefly and a few people suggested a Millet Hybrid is that the same thing as M^3? or is the M^3 known as the M3 here http://www.headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=6339

The headphones ill be using will be 1 of the 3 if not 2 of the 3 as follows.

SA-5000, HD650/595

Basically im looking for a amp in the 200-300$ price range considering getting 1 built but id prefer to try DIY and have someone fix it if I dork it than not try at all. What do you suggest?

FLMJIGGY
10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Good find I got here. THANKS...

Could this list still be considered up to date? Looking to buy a pair.

flavoraid
10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
id say its pretty much up to date.

prehaps post what your about to buy and people will tell your there experiance with simular setups.

FLMJIGGY
11-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I bought the Senny HD280 Pro and they sound great...

I'm wondering how the AT500 sound like though...

btw I personally didn't think the X-Fi sounded all that great. At least not for the price. (had the plat) That's why I dont have it in my system.

[XC] ruane
01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I have the Sennheiser HD515s, and before that I had a set of old HD414SLs, they are very impressive headphones, well built, excellent sound quality ,if a little "laid back" as mentioned, I can defonatly recomend the HD515s as they are only about £60, and for the money they are excellent.

Ruan

perry_78
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Sony MDR-V700 is where my money's at :)

Connectz
01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I use HD 650's with the foam "veil" removed and leggs panty hose in their place. It makes for a clearer, less muffled sound.

dab420
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Any opinions on the Skullcandy line of headgear? I've been on the fence about ordering them, from what I understand the Skullcrushers are where it's at..

ramenchef
03-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Hmm, those A900 headphones really do look and sound awesome. I'll probably pick up one soon.

2000army
04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Good guide

ChaosMinionX
08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Should put some of the Ultimate Ears offerings up there :)

I have a pair of UE SuperFi 5Pro and I absolutely love them :up:

Donnie27
09-14-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2428741&postcount=11

Now it would be up to him to repost it but his and another post there on Cans are Excellent!!!!!!!

Soulburner
09-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Yes, I found that post to be very helpful :cool:

Death_Eagle_571
09-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey guys, I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphones, they seem like very good headphones, inbetween the AT-500 and AT-900 sets, any opinions??

YukonTrooper
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Here is my post from the other thread:

You won't see any benefits using an amplifier or receiver with the A900 (40ohm) and AD900 (35ohm). The Koss KC75's (60ohm) would benefit more from an amp. Both cans are easily driven and would work fantastic out of the Prelude or any other X-Fi. Normal X-Fi cards will benefit greatly with upgraded op amps and a better power filter capacitor. The Prelude also has a more powerful output section than the regular X-Fi's so will drive headphones even more efficiently. The Prelude has some of the best DAC's and op amps in the industry and is comparable to using audio gear worth thousands of dollars. I'm not kidding, go over to head-fi.org and you'll see what I am talking about. The same goes for regular X-Fi's with upgraded op amps (op amps are a top component when talking about sound and the stock X-Fi op amps should burn in hell) but the Prelude is that much better. The DAC's found in regular X-Fi's are actually quite good quality and that is why the X-Fi with modded op amps is popular around the audiophile world.

The ability to digitally playback files which have been ripped in lossless format is like having a $$$$ CD player. Throw on top of that a quality external DAC which costs $$$$ to match the Prelude and your looking at a few paychecks. PC as source for audio is unmatched for price/performance and flexibility.

ANYWAYS back to the headphones. Because of the open air design of the AD900 it offers some noticeable gains in sound quality opposed to the closed design of the A900. I'll try to explain my best between the two.

Bass - This is the one area where the A900 is superior in terms of overall amount of bass. It will be more like the subwoofer in your car that goes really low. It will have more of an effect of covering your head in bass opposed to the AD900. The AD900 has less overall bass but what is there is more defined, impactful and tight. However this is not to say it is lean on bass. It has a neutral bass compared to all headphones so would run somewhere in the middle. It all depends on the type of bass you want. If you want real thumping bass then the A900 is probably better for you. If you want clean, fast and tight bass then go for the AD900. REMEMBER some will like one type and some will like the other and this is only a guideline.

Mids - AD900 is a mid monster. You like vocals? Mids, mids mids. You like Maynard James Keenan doing what he does best? Mids, mids mids. The AD900 really shines here whereas by comparison the A900 lacks. It's not so much that the A900 doesn't have mids, it's more of the fact that it has stronger bass and treble which seem to drown out the mids.

Treble - Both are probably a winner here but I tip my hat off to the AD900 because they aren't as overpowering and are more neutral with the mids and bass. The A900 might be able to reach a bit higher but you'll find yourself taking your headphones of quicker for a break.

Comfort - Supposedly some of the most comfortable around. Both use the same system and should be equally comfortable.

The AD900 sounds like the better overall can for a wide variety of music. The bass is still good but definitely not overwhelming like the A900. If you need large amounts of bass then the A900 will be a better can for you. The mids are much better and the treble is more natural on the AD900. I'd say the Koss KC75 and AD900 are probably about equal in terms of bass but the AD900 will have better detailed bass. For gaming both are very good because of their excellent sound stage and imaging. These cans are among the top suggested for gaming so you'll be very happy with both in this regard. The AD900 has better sound stage and imaging but not by much. From reading around the AD900 is worth the extra $40 for improved sound quality so thats the can I went with.

Here's a guy who did a review of the AD700, the AD900's little brother: http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10 This would be a good place to read about the signature of the cans. You'll notice at the end of the review he says the AD900's impressed him even more. Later in the thread in one of his posts he says "The AD900 sounds better than the AD700, that's the difference. Better clarity, detail, separation, balance, smoothness, bass, dynamics etc." :up:

Cheers!

Soulburner
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
More discussion about AD700/AD900:

http://headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10

Donnie27
10-02-2007, 12:06 PM
More discussion about AD700/AD900:

http://headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10

For my own personal tastes, I like the DT770's better.

Soulburner
10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
And your personal tastes are? :cool:

Donnie27
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
And your personal tastes are? :cool:

They're just mine:) Not trying to be funny or anything. Almost non of my Bud's and I use the same settings, different type of music the volume it listened to and etc. Examples, some of us use like Cans, others rather have speakers. Some of us like more bass than the others. One of my bud's Loves Grado's, I think they're too harsh and colors the music too much. What sounds smooth to me sounds a little to flat to another bud and my wife.

How good is the sound stage? 4 different visitors swore my Center Channel was on when it was turned off. Two of them thought the rear speakers were playing well. One lady thought something fell off the table behind me. Like EA sports, I said that was in the game LOL!

My stuff is middle of the road at best!

My tastes? I drove 43 miles one-way to hear a Co-worker's rig before he moved to Florida. Mac AMP and Martins Logans Minis, not Summits but still were well worth the drive. But, having Bugatti tastes but with a Nissan Sentra budget gets me nowhere:D

berk
10-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Should put some of the Ultimate Ears offerings up there :)

I have a pair of UE SuperFi 5Pro and I absolutely love them :up:

Hey hey hey!!!! :cool: ...mine are coming in the next few hours,should be quite an upgrade to my Senn. PX200 :)

[cTx] Nooc
11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Why is AKG not in the guide? K701 wipe the floor with HD650/DT880

Ethelred
11-10-2007, 09:46 PM

I can only assume it's because they are some much harder to drive, as well as more expensive (per se), or perhaps the OP just doesn't care for them. :)

YukonTrooper
11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Thnx for your long thought out and scientific explanation on the matter Nooc. I don't know where you got this impression but it just isn't true. It may be better at what it does but the DT880 and HD650 are better at what they do. Of these three there is no "better" headphone as sound is subjective and only personal opinion can decide which is better. If it sounds good to you then it's good, but saying the 701 is better than the HD650 or DT880 is a mistake.

[cTx] Nooc
11-10-2007, 10:13 PM
I can only assume it's because they are some much harder to drive, as well as more expensive (per se), or perhaps the OP just doesn't care for them. :)

HD650 still costs more, and all three have approximately same sensitivity, I just feel like K701 needs to be in the comparison

emoners
11-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi...need some advise...i'm currently looking for some all-around circumaural headphones. thinking of getting either the Sennheiser HD201 or the HD437...which one should i get? any pros/cons? other suggestions? currently have Icemat Siberias & Jabra BT620. more into gaming & movies, with some sound tripping on my Archos.

[cTx] Nooc
11-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi...need some advise...i'm currently looking for some all-around circumaural headphones. thinking of getting either the Sennheiser HD201 or the HD437...which one should i get? any pros/cons? other suggestions? currently have Icemat Siberias & Jabra BT620. more into gaming & movies, with some sound tripping on my Archos.

Check out Audio-Technica products

Donnie27
11-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Thnx for your long thought out and scientific explanation on the matter Nooc. I don't know where you got this impression but it just isn't true. It may be better at what it does but the DT880 and HD650 are better at what they do. Of these three there is no "better" headphone as sound is subjective and only personal opinion can decide which is better. If it sounds good to you then it's good, but saying the 701 is better than the HD650 or DT880 is a mistake.

I'm planning to get me another set of DT770 Pro 80 instead on the M models. I sold my old ones. It's not just the Bass but their weight, yes sound stage and etc.. for $170 to $200. It's what my ears like. I really like what how they sound at very low volume levels. If I hadn't bought another Guitar, a couple of Guitar cases, JBL Sub, more Memory and etc..... I'd already have them. My old Philips are just too heavy and Open. I want closed. Any others in this price range I should I look at?

Donnie27
11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
OK, never mind, my DT770 Pro's (NIB) are on the way from EBay $149 + $9 shipping. Would have gotten DT 880's but didn't want anymore open or simi open cans.:)

XS2K
11-24-2007, 04:17 PM
So I have to choose between Grado SR 60 and Senn 555 they are both at the same price in my Country which one is best?
Please I searched all the reviews and couldn't find none comparing them between.
They will both be connected to a X-Fi Xtreme Music.

ROBSCIX
11-24-2007, 04:35 PM
They are both good but have very different sound signatures. Can you listen to them before yo make your decision?

YukonTrooper
11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
They are both on completely opposite ends of the sound spectrum, so if you really like one you'll probably not like the other. Listening before you buy is the best thing you can do when buying a pair of headphones, but knowing what type of sound your looking for can offer a good place to start.

What kind of music do you listen to? The Grado has an upfront, punchy, dynamic sound. It will be more like being on the stage with the band when they are playing. I would choose the Grado if you mainly listen to Rock and anything related. The HD555 has the typical Sennheiser sound which is laid back, warm and slower than the Grado. It will give you more of the impression of being at the back of the auditorium watching the band play. It would be a better choice for Classical and such IMO. Remember though that without listening you'll truly never know. However, most people swear by their Grado's for Rock and I can attest to that claim. I just received the SR225 two days ago and they destroy my other headphones I own for Rock. All Grado's have the typical upfront and dynamic quality to them so the SR60 will sound similar to the SR225.

I'll be writing up a review and comparison between the Denon D2000, Audio-Technica AD900 and Grado SR225 headphones when I get back from a Tool concert next week. It should be up by next weekend. Cheers!

Rattle
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I listen to alot of metal and do alot of gaming, are the audio technica A700's a good choice?

XS2K
11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
First of all thanks for the replies,I listen to a lot of genre's from house to classic music remixed :) but in particular I listen house/rap/dance and some rock.
Altough it breaks to see my wallet empty I want to go for Senn HD595 which is said to have a punchy sound,do you think it's worth the price diffrence?
Again thanks.

Donnie27
12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh baby plugged my DDT 770's to my bud's AMPeg Bass amp and Oh Man they kicked! He has a set of 990's and compared them. I still like the closed cans better.

Back down to earth now. The more I've used these, the more I like them. They, just like my old pair, aren't as tight as they felt at first. Bass is clean but Deep plus warm minds and highs please *my ears to the point of seeming like a time warp time flies by so fast. No listening fatauge at all for me. My Philips killed me.

Stick a set of these on and listen to the "Cloverfield" movie Trailer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/trailers-me60215748

.OCX
12-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Great FAQ, wish I would've seen this sooner. I purchased the Bose Triport (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826627003) headphones, upgraded from Sony MDR-V300 which are junk in comparison. Talked to a Audiophile at work at he suggested the HD555's or the priced equivalent Audio-Technica, which is what I was afraid of.

Ordered the HD555 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106392&Tpk=hd%2b555)'s tonight, I'm gonna test the sound difference before RMA'n the Triport. Thanks for the FAQ.:up:

XS2K
12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I buyed Senn HD 595 after all and they are great,the soundstage is unbelivable especially for games,they sound punchy and have great bass + the wearing confort is exceptional + they don't require amp @ 50 Ohms.

Monkeywoman
12-24-2007, 06:21 PM
anyone know when this will be updated?

YukonTrooper
12-24-2007, 06:33 PM
anyone know when this will be updated?
I said I would post a review of my D2000's, AT-AD900's and SR225's about a month ago but haven't gotten around to it. Considering all the free time I have coming up, I'll make sure it gets done this holiday.

fart_plume
12-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I have some sony mdr-v100 that i'm not even sure how i got them i know i didn't buy them but they have worked great for me for gaming,(as far as sound quality they are good enough as i think i'm going deaf anyway,lol

Monkeywoman
12-24-2007, 07:06 PM
i wanted to get a pair of HDJ-1000's for my music creation and my gaming. for 180 bucks from my local store. i would like to knoe how they stack up.

ROBSCIX
02-22-2008, 10:12 AM
@Monkey, Try them out at your local shop and see if they have the sound your looking for. Understand they will "burn-in" and change signature somewhat. I have heard them before and I though they were fairly decent cans. Does your local show have other cans you can compare with at the time?
If you already bought a set, which did you buy?

Monkeywoman
03-16-2008, 08:05 PM
@Monkey, Try them out at your local shop and see if they have the sound your looking for. Understand they will "burn-in" and change signature somewhat. I have heard them before and I though they were fairly decent cans. Does your local show have other cans you can compare with at the time?
If you already bought a set, which did you buy?

i ended up getting Sony MDRV500DJ. the Pioneer's were sold out. i did listen to them and they did have a deeper bass. i'm very happy with the sony, crisp treble. i'm guessing its cuz of the magnet. i'm now saving up for some studio monitors; 2 KRK RP8's and a KRK RP10S...900 bucks by buds think i'm crazy.:up:

ROBSCIX
04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
i ended up getting Sony MDRV500DJ. the Pioneer's were sold out. i did listen to them and they did have a deeper bass. i'm very happy with the sony, crisp treble. i'm guessing its cuz of the magnet. i'm now saving up for some studio monitors; 2 KRK RP8's and a KRK RP10S...900 bucks by buds think i'm crazy.:up:

Glad you found a set you enjoy. That is the main part. I recently picked up a new set of headphones myself and they sound great out of the models I tested. Are you gonna be using the monitors for recording/mixing/mastering or just playback?

aiaN
04-25-2008, 05:33 AM
I came in here a bit late, but i wanted to comment on the K701 that earlier here was taken as better instead of fex, HD650. This is so true but allso so incorrect.

K701 is probbably the best studio headphones you can get as of today. However when listening to complete music. Like band's or whatever you may find that K701 can loose the edge of depth and base. K701 is what i choose when im turning on motzart betoven and so forth. But when it comes to more modern music like Muse, breaking benjamin and sutch. You will find that K701 has to big of a problem to hold up the standards.

But i must allso say that the K701 does powder the music less than any headphones i ever heard of. But as of today i prefer Grado RS-1 most of all. But people don't want to look like a radio operator from WW2 on the streets right? ^^

But as everything with music you cant say that something is better over the other in reality. Cause everything comes down to biology anyways. But as of today i stand on what i just wrote.

P.S ordered a pair of HD650 today with balanced cables going to try them up against HD650 with expensive jack cables :O

Snake Eyes
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
ok...I been running around with a Sony MDR-G59 for the last 8 years and I LOVE them.

Problem is, they started acting up recently and the one wire disconnected inside, going to try and fix them, but I would really like to buy a new pair.
Problem is, you dont get the MDR -G59 any more. so wondering what others I should get?
MUST be the backphones kind

emoners
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
guys i can't seem to find any AudioTechnica or Beyerdynamics where i'm at... but some Senns are available. any opinions on these?

HD-201, HD-205, HD-215, HD-415, HD-435, HD-555

basically for music & movies with occasional gaming...but mostly movies.
& do i need some amps? THANKS

SuporterPoli
07-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I have the HD201 and they are not really bright at games and are moderate at music and movies. I use them with a XtremeMusic.
In movies for example compared with the crappy headphones that i had before i can now listen to a lot of details(bicyclist who was passing near 2 persons having a dialogue). They do not have a lot of bass and the sound is pretty much Sennheiser signature,so dark sound.
But for the price they are ok. As for gaming, i play CS1.6 with them but that is mediocre at best, they cannot help me pinpoint the sounds like my Speedlink Tritons did.
Sorry if my english doesnt suit.

emoners
07-27-2008, 08:02 AM
thanks SuporterPoli.

guys any comments on Skullcandy?

XSAlliN
10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
guys i can't seem to find any AudioTechnica or Beyerdynamics where i'm at... but some Senns are available. any opinions on these?

HD-201, HD-205, HD-215, HD-415, HD-435, HD-555

basically for music & movies with occasional gaming...but mostly movies.
& do i need some amps? THANKS

HD-555 or the only decent set from that list, decent enough to worth the money. :up:

Oh baby plugged my DDT 770's to my bud's AMPeg Bass amp and Oh Man they kicked! He has a set of 990's and compared them. I still like the closed cans better.

Back down to earth now. The more I've used these, the more I like them. They, just like my old pair, aren't as tight as they felt at first. Bass is clean but Deep plus warm minds and highs please *my ears to the point of seeming like a time warp time flies by so fast. No listening fatauge at all for me. My Philips killed me.

Stick a set of these on and listen to the "Cloverfield" movie Trailer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/trailers-me60215748

From your description I guess it's the 2007 model 80 ohm. DT 770 2005 model are more refined at any level (with proper equipment), yet even the price is almost doble. Between 2007 models DT 880 takes the lead at all levels, more detail, more feeling. With DT 770 you get more bass, it's more intense - on that level you can't go wrong with this model. DT 880 is at limit when it comes to bass, but that's just enough since their bonus relates to all package. ;)

YanBooth
10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
So I just picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770's, and they're pretty amazing.. Way better than the 880's in my opinion, they also fit my head much better, as well as the people in the store who I was chatting with them about... I'm blissing out to them as I write this.

Anyhow, they're great, but I think they would really benefit from a decent headphone amp, and I read the advice in the first post.. but that advice is now pretty old, and I was wondering if you audio-knowledgeable folk could give me some advice... I would prefer to just buy something pre made and pay the premium, but if there's a big benefit from building my own (aside from a lower price) I can do that...

I don't want to spend more than $200 on a headphone amp, any advice would be very greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks a million!!

berk
10-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Try in this neck of the woods...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/

and here...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/sub-250-amp-dt880-375447/

FLMJIGGY
12-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I've been using the Senny HD 555 and am very happy with them. However I will need a more portable headphone - would look like a real geek walking in those - and am looking at IEM. Was looking the the Shure E2c but seems like there are a few more offering in that area now.
www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/review-18-iem-reviewed-compared-final-update-nov-2-08-a-335851/

I'm thinking on the RE2. Everyone seems to like them.

knissel
01-07-2009, 08:52 AM
So you don't recommend any headsets ie headphones with mic attached / built in???

YukonTrooper
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Some headsets are OK, but you'll always getter more for your money with a quality pair of stereo headphones and separate microphone.

HuffPCair
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
This thread is great learned a little from it. Also I love my plantronics they may not be the best but I think they sound great and do the job well.

REBEL900
02-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi i have the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones coupled with the Auzentech X-fi forte 7.1 and although they sound better and better as i use them (burnin them in?) i would like to know if a heaphone amp would make them sound that much better in games.

Looking for some users who have this kind of set-up or similar in gaming..

Helmore
03-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Hi i have the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones coupled with the Auzentech X-fi forte 7.1 and although they sound better and better as i use them (burnin them in?) i would like to know if a heaphone amp would make them sound that much better in games.

Looking for some users who have this kind of set-up or similar in gaming..

I'm also interested in that exact same setup, although I'm still doubting between a DT880 or a ATH-AD900. The latter will be the easiest to drive directly from my sound card, so no real need for a separate amp, but the DT880 may still need one. So I would also like to know what the headphone amp on the X-Fi Forte is like, does it really provide enough power to get a decent experience out of a DT880?
Then there is also the matter that I don't really know all that well how they compare sound quality/'signature' wise. I mean, how does soundstage and all the other sound characteristics compare between the two. Also things like what music they are best suited to be used for is what I'm wondering. I'll be using my headphone for gaming and music.

3Z3VH
03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
For those just joining this thread, the information on Shure IEPs is outdated.

Shure no longer manufactures the E#c model earphones. The E2c is roughly comparable to their new SE110 series, and so on up the chain, and they added a new set at their high-end, called the SE530. The SE530 includes two woofers and a tweeter in each earbud. In my experience, they are about as close to sitting in the studio as you can get, and they don't require additional amplification (though amplification always helps). Even on an iPod's stock amplifier, they sound great.

The disadvantages of the headphones are that their sound isolation is a little too extreme. They are basically ear plugs even when they are off, so you can't hear people talking from 5 feet away. They do offer a variety of sleeves that have varying levels of sound isolation, but the only ones that allow you to hear anything outside your head are too stiff for most people's comfort. The other disadvantage is they are quite costly. The MSRP is $499, but they can commonly be found for $400. On rare occasions, you can find them as low as $350.

If anyone is looking for VERY accurate sound reproduction and doesn't care about price, I would highly recommend them. If you are worried in the least about cost, I would say you could find something that isn't quite as good, but much more worth your money by going with lower-end Shures or Sennheisers.

REBEL900
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm also interested in that exact same setup, although I'm still doubting between a DT880 or a ATH-AD900. The latter will be the easiest to drive directly from my sound card, so no real need for a separate amp, but the DT880 may still need one. So I would also like to know what the headphone amp on the X-Fi Forte is like, does it really provide enough power to get a decent experience out of a DT880?
Then there is also the matter that I don't really know all that well how they compare sound quality/'signature' wise. I mean, how does soundstage and all the other sound characteristics compare between the two. Also things like what music they are best suited to be used for is what I'm wondering. I'll be using my headphone for gaming and music.

I am running this set-up on 60% volume.. That is all i need, anymore and it's too loud.. I am very happy, only thing is, i had to buy an external mic, but that is minor and the whole package works well..

I mostly play Left 4 dead. Hope this helps

cyberspyder
03-20-2009, 05:39 PM
O.o WHERE IS AKG ON THE LIST?!?!

KoHaN69
05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Great thread.
I'm really happy with my sennheiser HD-570 (but would like the HD-590 for their better bass)

I can't wear any other headphones at all, even sennheiser hd-555 or 600s series, or any other brand.

Only the sennheiser HD-570 and HD-590 have the physical shape and mold that never ever tire me. I forget I have these on after a few minutes of wearing them..

Just throwing it out there, for those who are reluctant to wear headphones due to discomfort. :)

Bradan
05-10-2009, 08:40 AM
thanks SuporterPoli.

guys any comments on Skullcandy?

skullcandy:down:

they are headphones made by a snowboard company, usually with crazy colours, fur, stashes in them, and their "SKULLCRUSHER" headphones with a dedicated woofer only goes as low as 100hz.

edit: they sound terrible.

Donnie27
08-17-2009, 07:10 AM
skullcandy:down:

they are headphones made by a snowboard company, usually with crazy colours, fur, stashes in them, and their "SKULLCRUSHER" headphones with a dedicated woofer only goes as low as 100hz.

edit: they sound terrible.

QMFT!

snoro
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Have a simple question, i have to get me some good headphones that will mostyl cut the surronding noise and have very good sound quality, they wont be used for gaming but for audio/video making at school, budget is about 100$ max. What would you recommend ?

Bradan
01-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Have a simple question, i have to get me some good headphones that will mostyl cut the surronding noise and have very good sound quality, they wont be used for gaming but for audio/video making at school, budget is about 100$ max. What would you recommend ?

Shure SR440 are great for sound quality and isolation, they also don't need an amp to sound good.

snoro
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
thats great cause they will be used on school computer which mostly dont have a amp and even a good sound card like a auzentech forte or prelude. Thanks for the tip.

Demo
01-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Does the quality of the components used on the headphone amp have any effects on the sound quality ?

Bradan
01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Does the quality of the components used on the headphone amp have any effects on the sound quality ?

Yes, but to how much of a degree is arguable as you will see if you go to a place like head-fi.

Mainly, amps are for overcoming high impedance(resistance) of drivers or impedance curves for those drivers to reduce distortion. Since every part of a chain adds distortion, you'd look for one with lower distortion.

But the best deals on the market right by a long shot are either the forte or the essensce-stx. Headphone amps are usually designed and manufacter for a niche market and are by nature very expensive. The forte and essence-stx are manufactured in huge quantities at mass production, and the sound card and amp are integral.

Demo
02-01-2010, 06:20 AM
I see, thanks for the info.. I wish the Pod on the Z-5500 had some for of amplification but then again boost 11 or 22 works hahaha

Musho
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
How good is the ATH-AD700? I've heard it's a _very_ good pair of headphones for the money. Would they have a good performance/price ratio?

Forin
05-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I like these headphones a lot. Very comfortable. Great quality sound, very clear. Haven't tried them in games, but i heard oppinions that they have better possitioning than HD555.

I think, You will have to play with equalizer if you listen to heavy bass music, but I would like to hear some other oppinions on that. Maybe it's just me. With classic it's just stunning.

I have now DFI UT (not DK) and Berstein sound module.

I bought mine from US and I paid better price than EU retailers had.

How good is the ATH-AD700? I've heard it's a _very_
good pair of headphones for the money. Would they have a good performance/price ratio?

Donnie27
06-21-2010, 09:46 AM
How good is the ATH-AD700? I've heard it's a _very_ good pair of headphones for the money. Would they have a good performance/price ratio?

IMHO, just for info sake, they're worth their cost and make GREAT starter cans.

Great thread.
I'm really happy with my sennheiser HD-570 (but would like the HD-590 for their better bass)

I can't wear any other headphones at all, even sennheiser hd-555 or 600s series, or any other brand.

Only the sennheiser HD-570 and HD-590 have the physical shape and mold that never ever tire me. I forget I have these on after a few minutes of wearing them..

Just throwing it out there, for those who are reluctant to wear headphones due to discomfort.

I liked the Philips SB890 better than the 570's and thought they sounded about like the Senn 595's. I like the DT770 Pro's better than the Senn 595. But we know no two ears perceive sounds the same. I totally respect some one not getting similar results. In fact, if the P-SB 890's weren't so frackin heavy, I wouldn't have bought the DT770. SB890's are best for Movies and Games sound wise but suck because they are heavy as he1l.

All Can Amps do is make you loose your hearing sooner LOL!

amd4me
07-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I just stumbled upon this ANCIENT thread, wow so helpful!

Any chance of an update?

Donnie27
07-22-2010, 04:35 AM
I just stumbled upon this ANCIENT thread, wow so helpful!

Any chance of an update?

I got to listen to something that costs just under 2K for the the Tiny AMP and Cans. These connected to a sound card that wasn't the X-Fi but said to be better (than X-Fi) for music.

The reason I made the to each his or her own statement is because even as it sounded great, there's no way in He1L I'd pay one third the amount the person spent.

He and two others heard my not as good system. All 4 of us agreed the expensive system sounded better. Only he thought the extra costs was justified and the other two didn't. He was confused when we agreed with him:confused: I simply said if it pleased you (him) that's all that really matters. You buy your $hit for you and whatever anyone else thinks is really moot. The problem only pops up when others expect you to have the same sound perception as they do.

Rightmark audio benchmark software has made liars out of a bunch of Fans, bashers and etc..................

Erklat
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Bump :)

Mates which are the proper channel settings for playing using headphones? I set 8 channels for games, 6 for movies since this is what mpc filter says and 2 ofc for music.

Does this seem right?

ripken204
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Mates which are the proper channel settings for playing using headphones? I set 8 channels for games, 6 for movies since this is what mpc filter says and 2 ofc for music.

Does this seem right?

play the audio in the number of channels it has available...

Donnie27
02-17-2011, 12:57 PM

Does this seem right?

Unless it is DVD Audio or DTS Audio for Music..... always use Stereo for Headphones.

Da_maniaC
08-05-2011, 01:58 AM
I just got a little fed up with Logitech headsets. I had a Logitech G330 and a H760, both neckband headsets and with both headsets the neckband broke inside their warranty period (even though i take serious care with all of my equipment).
So i was wondering where i should go for a new neckband headset? The headset will be solely used for gaming, since i own a Sennheiser HD650 and a RSA Predator for music (as well as a pair of Dynaudio BM12A's) but still i'd like to get something that will last me.
Any suggestions?