PDA

View Full Version : Just got a PB

antipop
04-27-2005, 12:12 PM
I've decided to give a try to mac os and i bought a nice powerbook 15". I used the fact that i'm still a student to get a nice deal.
The first reason why i bought it was for the design, it looks awesome, it's light and pretty thin (of course you can't compare it to the small sony's but that's not the point here).
As far as the hardware go, i have no complain : wifi, bluetooth, firewire 800, usb, the backlite keyboard... The sound is very good for a laptop. The trackpad is good and the finger stuff to scroll is very useful. It doesn't run hot, i still haven't heard the fan blow and i'm using it on my lap for a couple of hours without a problem (it's a bit warm but not hot). Minus point : the keyboard feels like cheap plastic to the touch (but the quality seems to be there i just don't like the touch)
Mac OS is really nice, i still haven't really seen it all but i got a lot of nice options to make life easier, expose is a great tool and you get used to it pretty easily. i think it'll become my main machine even if all my stuff is on the pc (i got something like 500Gb of hard disk on it) maybe i'll silence it and make a server that will run 24/7

Anyway i don't regret the move and i'm very happy with the comp and i can't wait to receive the new OS (Tiger). Tomorrow i'm going to buy myself a crumpler bag and i already have the iCurve, the bluetooth keyboard and a mx900

MaxxxRacer
04-27-2005, 05:00 PM
go put linux on it!

antipop
04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
go put linux on it!
What's the point? I bought it because i don't want any headache and so i don't have to search for hours to make something work. Plus OSX is the best part about apple

RonJ83
05-04-2005, 07:59 AM
did you get it with OSX Tiger 10.4 or Pather 10.3?

antipop
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Panther but as i'm typing tiger is installing on the pb :)

I got it for free cause i received the comp after they announced tiger, i can't wait to try spotlight abd dashboard (even if the biggest improvement of tiger is hidden)

[XC] moddolicous
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
report back here when u have fully tried tiger. As far as panther goes, I love it alot. It is alot better then windows ( in my opinion).

$a1Ty
05-04-2005, 11:08 PM
go put linux on it!
that whats mac os and windows xp are built on :rolleyes:

It is alot better then windows
anything is better than windows :party3:

(sin)morpheus
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
It's not based on linux. :stick:
It's similar to linux in that they are both based on unix, but they do have a fair amount of differences.

Techmasta
05-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Windows XP is in no way based on *nix. OS X is based on BSD.

Glad you like the Powerbook. I just got a 12" iBook G4 and I like it a lot. Some day I will buy a Powerbook...

antipop
05-05-2005, 08:10 AM
XP is in some way based on linux since it has some linux code in it ;) if you know what i mean. Anyway that's not the point here

Yesterday i installed tiger, i did even made a clean install and i was perfect afterward, a single upgrade and it took me less than 40 minutes from start to finish
I tried a bit of Tiger and even if there's still a lot of room for improvement it's pretty amazing, 50 minutes to index the whole hard drive (with all my documents) and spotlight is running on the spot, i get what i'm looking for in a few seconds. Very cool feature
Second cool thing is dashboard, first i didn't expected something spectacular but if you use it a bit you soon wonder how you lived without it, it's very useful, plus you don't loose focus of your work.
Mail 2 is nice too, the cool feat is when you get a mail with pics in it, you can do a slideshow of all the pics without having to save them before and launch another soft and ...
Overall the OS is really good but i guess we'll have to wait for the 10.4.1 to really solve most of the bugs and really be excellent. So far i haven't encounter major bugs, but just little annoying stuff that could be easily solved in the upgrade
I wish i have an iSight and people on a mac to try iChat with 4 people videoconf

My experience so far with apple has been very good and stress free, not something i can say with windows, the only thing keeping the pc on my desk is all the harddrive in it (500GB that i can't afford to put on the mac) and if i ever plan to play but it's not something i do on a regular basis plus i have an xbox

Techmasta, ibook are good too. I hesitated to buy the 12" but i needed something that could replace my desktop so i want for the PB and i don't regret.
My bro is under shock and he can't wait to buy a mini

antipop
05-05-2005, 08:16 AM
BTW have i said that the backlite keyboard is wonderful. The PB has a sensor and it detect if the light are shut so it automatically adjust the brightness of the screen and turn on the backlight. I can now type in the dark

Disposibleteen
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
nice, when i get a lappy for college ill definatly consider PB, probably will end up going dothan though.

perry_78
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah, the PB's are a tad expensive, in Europe at least. Dishing out eur 2000 for a PB 15" combo drive is too much :(

I think I'll have a friend send in one from the US via diplomatic post and of course no tax :)

antipop
05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
i paid it 1700€ with office student and tiger
I don't think the pb is well worth the price and equivalent laptop in pc are not that much cheaper compared to it
All in all i paid 2000€ with a stand, a BT keyboard and a crumpler bag

Disposibleteen
05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
ouch thats alot, hope you like what u got for your money.

CNUco2007
05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
yea, i just got an iBook 12" G4 w/ Tiger and i absolutly love it. i still have my main windows rig for gaming, but i have a feeling this thing is gonna get used more often for cruising the net and stuff. You ever notice how the ppl that bash apple and macs are the ones that haven't used one? haha But yea, i wanted a powerbook, they were just out of my price range. however i am more than pleased w/ the ibook and i got it for under a grand. $996 to be exact :D

amd4me
05-17-2005, 02:16 AM
I was like na inch away from getting a pb but I got a Blower instead.

antipop
05-17-2005, 02:24 AM
The pb are silent dead even when the fan is blowing i have to put my ear on the keyboard to hear it. Plus it's never hot, i have it a lot of time on my bare lap and i can old hours with it without a problem

perry_78
05-17-2005, 11:22 PM
hardware-analysis had a nice article about PB's. It was a 17", but the conclusion was clear. Excellent laptop, probably the best available, but not worth the price tag :/

antipop
05-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I have to disagree about the price tag, apple might be more expensive than other but you have quality and a lot of software are already included iLife has all you need to do multimedia, tiger is far more complete than windows, you don't need an antivirus nor a firewall, ... If you sum it all apple are attractive as a whole package, plus i know a lot of people that have kept their mac for several years and are using the latest OS (which is running faster than the previous ones on their comp!!!).

2fink
05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
:slobber: you are a very happy guy. i really want to own my own apple laptop, but they are very expensive (a new one will cost you an arm and a leg in germany :( )
ebay also isnt cheap. the old models cost about 500-600€, so you can buy a new one for 800-100€ and have newer hardware and warranty!

antipop
05-19-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't think they are cheaper in france, but the gov made an offer for the student. So the PB is 300€ cheaper and you get office, plus you have a very low rate credit.
I might have paid a lot but i know why i paid so much and i'm pleased.

amd4me
05-21-2005, 05:39 PM
:slobber: you are a very happy guy. i really want to own my own apple laptop, but they are very expensive (a new one will cost you an arm and a leg in germany :( )
ebay also isnt cheap. the old models cost about 500-600€, so you can buy a new one for 800-100€ and have newer hardware and warranty!
And from what I have heard Power Book's and Ipods are the number one and 2 most scammed items on ebay. If I was gonna buy osmething that expensive, i would get it new.

Disposibleteen
05-21-2005, 05:44 PM
i bet thats because everyone wants one becuase they are so freakin sweet!

perry_78
05-22-2005, 02:25 AM
eBay for me is a no go from now on :(

antipop
05-22-2005, 03:18 AM
The PB is sweet and i bought a crumpler bag to go with it. I didn't wanted a bag with written all over it "There's a laptop to stole in it". Plus the crumpler is really sweet.

As for ebay i rarely buy from it, i never find good prices. I'm always scared to get a stolen good or a broken one. And i found that there's too much ad and stupid stuff (like get this laptop for 10$)

ewitte
05-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I've decided to give a try to mac os and i bought a nice powerbook 15".

:nono:

antipop
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
:nono:
:confused: can you explain a bit or you just don't know what we're talking about?

ewitte
05-24-2005, 02:12 PM
:confused: can you explain a bit or you just don't know what we're talking about?

Its a joke about you getting a mac ;)

masterofpuppets
05-25-2005, 07:41 AM
MacOS X is based on Darwin, which is based on NetBSD. It IS NOT based on Linux. Although some Linux apps compiled for PowerPC might run on it with (with some limitations though).

antipop
05-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Its a joke about you getting a mac ;)
Ok lol it didn't seem as a joke first ;)

masterofpuppets, osx is based on unix like linux and they use the same function to interact with the kernel (afaik). Since youcan get 99.9% of the source code of the linux app, you can compile them to make them work under osx, plus you have tools like fink that allows you to use debian package (afaik too). I never had any need for this as all i need is available for mac without those steps (like mplayer, vlc, ...)

perry_78
05-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Now even though I know little about OSs I think masterofpuppets knows his stuff :)

masterofpuppets
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Linux IS NOT Unix, Linux is a Unix-compatible OS. It's operation doesn't have anything in common with a true Unix, except that it is compatible with several Unix standards, and therefor most Unix software has been ported. They have completely different hardware access routines and style. Try and run "mount /dev/hda" on a BSD system and your in for a nice suprise (an error, of course). One other thing they have in common though, is a kernel. Although the Linux kernel is completely different from BSD and doesn't have hardly anything in common. You can actually get 100% of the Linux sourcecode. Just get yourself a source tarball and see for yourself.

antipop
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
You can compile any soft that was written for linux to work under osx, i'm pretty confident about it

masterofpuppets
05-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Yes, thats because both OS's are Unix compliant.

Juice
06-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I've decided to give a try to mac os and i bought a nice powerbook 15". I used the fact that i'm still a student to get a nice deal.
The first reason why i bought it was for the design, it looks awesome, it's light and pretty thin (of course you can't compare it to the small sony's but that's not the point here).
As far as the hardware go, i have no complain : wifi, bluetooth, firewire 800, usb, the backlite keyboard... The sound is very good for a laptop. The trackpad is good and the finger stuff to scroll is very useful. It doesn't run hot, i still haven't heard the fan blow and i'm using it on my lap for a couple of hours without a problem (it's a bit warm but not hot). Minus point : the keyboard feels like cheap plastic to the touch (but the quality seems to be there i just don't like the touch)
Mac OS is really nice, i still haven't really seen it all but i got a lot of nice options to make life easier, expose is a great tool and you get used to it pretty easily. i think it'll become my main machine even if all my stuff is on the pc (i got something like 500Gb of hard disk on it) maybe i'll silence it and make a server that will run 24/7

Anyway i don't regret the move and i'm very happy with the comp and i can't wait to receive the new OS (Tiger). Tomorrow i'm going to buy myself a crumpler bag and i already have the iCurve, the bluetooth keyboard and a mx900

I know what you mean. I also bought a Powerbook. OS X Tiger is so much better than Windows. I forgot how it feels to just power up a computer without having to wait for the temp to go negative. I wonder if we can overclock the Apple Intel machines next year?

antipop
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I hope we will but i guess it won't be easy. I expect apple to avoid putting a bios (if they can like in the actual mac's) or to strip it down to the core. I guess overclocking will mean breaking and soldering little resistors. Now that will be Xtreme

eddieate
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
i've had a powerbook for awhile and i couldnt be more pleased with it i'm amazed at how hard they are,
i've dropped mine on many occasions and yesterday i spilt a pint of water on it which i thought had
killed it but i left it overnight to dry out and its now merrily sat on my desk playing me music and dvds
like before :D though i was kinda hoping i could get the insurance company to buy me and new one with
a superdrive and a 100gb hdd :( , still can't have everything.

Ed

Tilmitt
07-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I got my PowerBook a few weeks ago. I swichted for a few reasons, mostly because of Linux and BSD's not working right, hating windows because of microsoft and it's just crap, and hating x86 cpus. I was unlucky though cause then Apple decide to go with x86. But I'll not use an x86 system again...I gave my overclocked rig that i had spent so much on to my dad. I'm going to buy the last PowerPC based PowerMac and then sit it out for many many years...anyway the PowerBook! Yes it's amazing there's pretty much nothing more i could ask of it. It's just the way things should be....expensive too but worth it to follow your heart to what you know is right!

antipop
07-10-2005, 06:52 AM
It is a great piece of hardware indeed, and don't get me started on the software side. Sometimes i press F9 under windows hoping there is some kind of Expose :p
Iwas trying to set up a wifi connection at a friend house, he's under windows 2k. I open my PB, in ten seconds i was connected and surfing on the net. It took me an hour to do the same under windows!

Tilmitt, don't bash the coming x86 mac. I'm sure they'll be incredible. To mac is first the OS, then the design (yes i love good looking stuff) and after the hardware ;)

Enjoy your mac