PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot?

harleybro
04-26-2005, 04:22 AM
I know win2k is better for 3dmark01 and xp better for 03 and 05. Would setting a dual boot hurt performance in testing? Would it be better just to get a second hd and load it?

madman2233
04-26-2005, 04:58 AM
it would probably be easier to just get a second HDD. when you have 2 on 1 hard drive, you have limited space because a boot partition has to be on a certain place on the HDD, like the first 10% of the HDD or something. that means both boot partitions have to be on that little space. you could do it, but one of the partitions would have limited space. unless you make another partition that you put all your stuff on.

dual booting wont hurt performance.

Gray Mole
04-26-2005, 05:46 AM
I had a dual boot with 98 and W2K back when 98 still existed :rolleyes: and had a lot of grief with dll files going awry...2 hdd's cured it, but I suppose one being FAT32 and the other NTFS might have been the cause...

If space is no issue, the there's no reason not to use a partition, but I've always found it faster with them on 2 drives, unless you're raiding...

Gray

harleybro
04-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks I have actually set up dual boot before and am not concerned about space. I would have 3 partitions. One XP one win 2k and the third for programs. The main concern is if it would hurt benches but looks like I'll be setting up just one drive. :)

kiwi
05-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Nope, no performance loss. I have dual boot.