PDA

View Full Version : Feedback/Suggestions on upcoming project...?

BRiT
04-25-2005, 01:32 PM
The sytem will be an AMD A64 CPU and ATI/Nvidia next-gen video card. For now I have an X800 XL. The MB is looking to be the DFI-Ultra unless Saphire releases their Grouper board soon.

I'm doubtful I'd be able to fit everything in the PC case. I'm trying to figure out the feasibility of mounting it inside of various cases, in a seperate case to act as a rad-box, or even building a rad box. I'm considering the CM Stacker as the primary PC case. I have several spare cases of LxWxH of 17"x7.75"x16", 17"x"7.75"x21", and finally 18"x7.75"x23.5", I'm willing to hack up for rad-box.

The parts I'm considering are:

Radiator:
Weapon Heatercore [10.5/10.75" x 5" x 5"]
Weapon MonsterCore [10.5/10.75" x 10" x 5"]

Pump:
BlueLine BL-800 NS series [10.75" x 5" x 5.75"]
Iwaki MD-20RLT [10.6" x 3.5" x 4.4"]
Iwaki MD-20RLZT [10.6" x 3.5" x 4.7"]

Reservoir:
Click-Clack custom Reservoir [8.25" x 5.5" x 4.25"] or [6.75" x 3.5" x 7.5"] (spatman custom Res (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56251))

WaterBlock:
CPU: RBX (if G4/G5 are unavailable)
GPU: Maze4

If the pump comes threaded, I'm thinking of running 5/8" on the pump/res/rad. The tubing will be Tygon: 5/8" ID and 1/2" ID (3/4" OD). For the rad-to-cpu and gpu-to-res, what's the best way to convert from 5/8" ID to 1/2" ID? Is it to just force the 1/2" ID onto the 5/8" OD connectors? What should the OD be of the 5/8" tubing be: 7/8" or 1" OD?

Do I have the dimensions listed correctly for the heatercore with 38mm fans, shroud, and radiator? Does anyone have experience running the BlueLine 800 / NS-40 pump? Also, is there any possible way to get the water-cooling equipment inside of a PC case? I'm not sure it'll even fit in a MM UFO case.

I've been a long time lurker and have learned a lot from this forum. So I'd appreciate any feedback, suggestions, comments to help guide me along my journey.

Thanks.

EnJoY
04-25-2005, 01:43 PM
A Weaponcore and any of those pumps would fit in a stacker. A monster core and any of those pumps would fit in a UFO cube.

shadowing
04-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I would really go with Weapon Heatercore. For the pumps, go with the Iwakis. Any one of those are great. For the waterblock, I'd go with the TDX, or RBX.

EnJoY
04-25-2005, 03:28 PM
RBX for high flow like those pumps will offer. The Blueline or the MD20RZT are the better two of the three.

spatman
04-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Ya Enjoy...

I think I will be looking at one of them UFO cases in about 6 months to a year. I would love to move my Iwaki and monster core into that case. But for now, I will be happy with the experiance I will get building a rad box.

BRit,

Here is a link to a site you can buy the cantainer...

IceHot (http://www.organizes-it.com/pocc_icehotgroup.php)

I used the 2 Qt cantainer. And yes, you can force the 1/2" ID tubing onto the 5/8" barb. The 5/8" tygon I have is 7/8" OD. and works very well.

BRiT
04-26-2005, 04:09 PM
I've tried finding pics of UFO + MonsterCore setups, but haven't found any. I'm trying to work out the layout with a Weapon MonsterCore. The case is 18" cube. The motherboard tray splits the case around the middle to form a U. The right half is typically taken up by the 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays. The motherboard tray [atx] is 10" x 12.5" (L x W). This leaves ~ 8" from front of case to mb-tray, and ~ 10 7/8" from left-side of case to where the 5.25" bays start.

The MonsterCore would be mounted in front of the 3 120mm holes, with the pump/reservoir on the right side under the drive-bays. Is there a better way?

Might have to switch up the reservoir or come up with slightly different mounting if it too wide and ends up fighting over space with the monster-core.

spatman -- Thanks for the link to the reservoir. It saved me from having to explore many of other alternatives.

EnJoY
04-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Monster core would not fit the way you've descibed. It's square in shape, like two dual 120mm rads next to each other. It'd have to go on the side panel or at the bottom under the case maybe.

Kayin
04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
All I'm wondering is why the hell you want a rad that big. You can't go below ambient without a chiller and a single BIX is enough to keep my system running passive, and a single Panaflo keeps a 2C deltaT even while overclocking. There comes a point where you just ask, why?

EnJoY
04-27-2005, 05:09 AM
2c delta t....with one fan.....no way.

Kayin
04-27-2005, 05:52 AM
I should take pics of my setup, it's really something to see...

Passing close to 300 CFM through my case doesn't hurt either...

MaxxxRacer
04-27-2005, 08:38 AM
5000CFM wouldnt get you a 2C delta kayin..

8C delta is about as good as you can get with a G5 and a nice big radiator and a super powerful pump.

if you are getting 2C delta from your computer readouts they are clearly wrong as they usually are.

Holst
04-27-2005, 09:05 AM
if you are getting 2C delta from your computer readouts they are clearly wrong as they usually are.

Correction, should read

if you are getting 2C delta from your computer readouts they are clearly wrong as they ALLWAYS are.

You show me an accurate calibrated motherboard temp sensor and ill show you an honest politician riding flying pig through the eye of a needle.

Back to the original post,
Im using a LianLI PC50 to store my watercooling. Worked out pretty good and plenty of space inside should I want to add extra pumps or anything else.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46369

From the components you have chosen you should get a good system.

I think a monster core with appropriate shroud would work very well in a side pannel.
But it is total overkill unless your planning on super quietness or super peltiers.

Please look into buying silicone tube as its more flexible and more leak proof than anything else. You can also easily force 1/2" over 5/8" or force 3/8" over 1/2" barbs.. should you want to.

Kayin
04-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, just figured that out on this temp sensor-it's not reading at all!

And besides, it's not mass CFM, but good turbulent airflow. I gots that.

Buggered temp sensors!